RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/technology/newsid_7886000/7886427.stm

(video is in the link)

Dozens of motorcyclists' lives could be saved every year if air bag jackets were made compulsory, accident and emergency doctors have said.

The jackets are the equivalent of car air bags and inflate if the rider is thrown off during a crash.

In one version, the jacket is attached to the bike by a lead which detaches when the rider has come off suddenly.

The Department of Transport said it had no plans for a new law but said it welcomed anything to improve safety.

Vital organs

Although motorcyclists make up just 1% of road users, they account for 20% of fatalities.

Figures for 2007 show that 561 bikers died on the roads.

Andy Parfitt, an A&E doctor at St Thomas' Hospital in London, said: "There is a shocking number of deaths of motorcyclists on the roads. I think dozens of lives could be saved if these jackets were made compulsory.

It stopped me from rolling as well. It stops the bounce. I think it's the bounce when you're crashing at speed that hurts you

Stuntman Rob Hunt after testing an air bag jacket

Have Your Say: Should air bag jackets be made compulsory?

Dr Parfitt, a keen biker, said: "There's no question that what the jackets do afford is, they protect a motorcyclists' vital organs, neck and spine over and above the level that a normal jacket would do.

"A majority of deaths in motorcycle accidents are due to injuries to these vital organs that should be protected by these jackets."

One rider whose experience underlines the kind of injuries that motorcyclists can receive in accidents is 32-year-old Dineth Wijayarathna.

He was involved in a crash two years ago on a private track that left him seriously injured.

He said: "I was doing about 130mph (210km/h), the rear wheel suspension failed on my motorcycle and I came off, broke my pelvis in two places, broke my back and broke a few ribs."

He needed two major operations, couldn't walk for six months and still feels the after-effects two years on.

"I've got a plate in the front of my pelvis with six bolts in it. I've got two 9cm (3.5in) bolts going through my pelvis into my spine," he said.

"It was awful. Not being able to walk, not being able to do normal bodily functions for such a long period of time wasn't the best fun."

Dineth Wijayarathna broke his back and pelvis after a crash

There are different types of air bag jackets on sale in the UK, which cost up to twice as much as standard jackets.

One version, sold by Point Two, is attached to bikes by a lead and, if the wearer falls off, that triggers a small gas canister that inflates the jacket in less than one fifth of a second.

The spine is then held tight and the air bag protects the area between the neck and pelvis.

Newsbeat gave one of the jackets to Rob Hunt, a stuntman for 12 years.

He said afterwards: "It just stops you from going anywhere. It's tight. It's protecting all around my ribs."

"It felt as though I was picked up off the floor and I was on the air bag. It was just like gliding on air.

"It stopped me from rolling as well. It stops the bounce. I think it's the bounce when you're crashing at speed that hurts you."

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Better yet, why don't they make it compulsory to have a metal latice type structure around the rider at all times and maybe mandate that instead of 2 wheels all motorcycles should have four since it would be so much safer.... Maybe do away with helmets since there's been resistance to that and put some glass and metal covering over the thing.... Suzuki has already made a prototype actually, check it out....

One day this form of personal protectionmay be the norm and riding jackets will probably have these (they've been working on it forever) in every style and size and fit you could want. They'll have worked out all the bugs and made them less bulky, they'll be affordable, tested and proven, and readily available... That's when I'll buy one.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Marco Polo said:
Better yet, why don't they make it compulsory to have a metal latice type structure around the rider at all times and maybe mandate that instead of 2 wheels all motorcycles should have four since it would be so much safer.... Maybe do away with helmets since there's been resistance to that and put some glass and metal covering over the thing.... Suzuki has already made a prototype actually, check it out....

One day this form of personal protectionmay be the norm and riding jackets will probably have these (they've been working on it forever) in every style and size and fit you could want. They'll have worked out all the bugs and made them less bulky, they'll be affordable, tested and proven, and readily available... That's when I'll buy one.
Man I can smell the sarcasm!

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
you guys miss the whole point - the goverment need to step in (cuz we all need to be protected from ourselves) put a regulation in place, say by 2012 that all bikers will need to wear an "instant on force field" that energizes on impact (no more helmets or jackets required). Since its a new market and should createa job or two (cant be in china do to the lead issue) it should get a part of the trillion - well if not this trillion maybe the next.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Hmmm.... my inner geek is liking this "instant on force field" concept. How cool would that be?
And maybe some fork mounted laser cannons
.... wait, what were we talking about again? Oh yes, the government sucks!

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
since the goverment was brought up - how come im not seeing any insurance companies asking for a bailout - or am i missing something?

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Most married guys in the U.K. have already got an " AIR BAG" AKA " THE MOTHER In LAW.
........Frec.....U.K..

·
Registered
3,145 Posts

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Marco Polo said:

Honda has already done it with only two wheels for $25,500!

·
Registered
692 Posts
So i'm on my bike, pull into my drive way, kick the bike into neutral, put down the kick standand get off to open the garage door and my jacket explodes because I forgot to detatch the lead.....screw that I'll take my chances with plain old leather

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Mr Noize II said:
Honda has already done it with only two wheels for $25,500!

Yeah i read somewhere that some guy on that wing, side swiped a car and walked away, but why ..oh why does it have to look like a big fat inflatable pink ar$e!!!?...too kinky lol

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
tomba said:
....oh why does it have to look like a big fat inflatable pink ar$e!!!?...too kinky lol

But Tom, rumour has it that you are regularly seen with your face in a big pink ar$e

1 - 17 of 17 Posts