RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was talking to my brother about doing the ais block off and he asked me what the ais does and i have no clue. i thinks an air pump of sorts? can anyone tell me what this thing does before i pull it off.

·
Registered
108 Posts
the AIS is like any emissions regulator air pump from what i understand. in the long run its just needless plumbing and piping. i just ripped the air pump piece off my kawasaki, and it showed no difference, just like people said. i did not do the AIS on my warrior yet becuase of the weather, but im confident it wont change it. from what i understand it stops some of the backfiring and makes the bike look better by getting rid of some pipes that make the engine look ugly.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
evilrider said:
i was talking to my brother about doing the ais block off and he asked me what the ais does and i have no clue. i thinks an air pump of sorts? can anyone tell me what this thing does before i pull it off.

AIS is Air Induction System. Below is a quote from the Warrior service manual
The air induction system burns unburned exhaust gases by injecting fresh air (secondary air) into the exhaust port, reducing the emission of hydrocarbons. When there is negative pressure at the exhaust port, the reed valve opens, allowing secondary air to flow into the exhaust port. The required temperature for burning the unburned exhaust gases is approximately 600 to 700 °C

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
The AIS is what causesthat all so annoying "popping"when you left off the throttle when you change pipes. The AIS block off kit is only $18 and it only took me about 40min to do it.... mostly cause I kept misplacing my wrenches lol. Almost eliminated the backfiring completely. If you do this removal, the instructions are so vage.... get onto Redhorse's site and print of the instructions with step by step pictures.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
The instructions on Redhorse's site are excellent. I liked to do it because it was the first thing to go off my bike:}:} Good simple mechanical intro to Warrior-itis for which there is no known cure:}:}

The AIS has to be disconnected if your run it on a dyno to 'tune' the PC111.

·
Administrator
29,703 Posts
Injecting air into the Warrior exhaust doesn't do anything except thin-out the exhaust gasses a little. The same exhaust PPM goes out the tailpipe, just mixed with some fresh air. Its there due to a law, but it doesn't work on every system. Removing the AIS (called a "-AIS") on the Warrior lets the bike run better and cleaner, and makes it more tune-able. The Warrior is sold de-tuned by a wide margin. Rip off the AIS and add a VBAK a decent exhaust and a PC3USB-TPS and hold on tight, it wakes up the beast.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Removal of the AIS should be one of the first mods done on a Warrior. It is so inexpensive and easy to do, plus it is worthless junk.

·
Registered
670 Posts
+1 on Redhorses instructions. The instructions that come with the kit don't have any pictures, and it would have been literally impossible to do it without redhorses pictures due to the fact that I don't know what each individual hose does. Even with the pictures it's kind of tough to figure out what your actually looking at, but if you take your time you should be able to get through it. If you have the stock air box I strongly recommend a long needle nose pliers. There is a step in the procedure where you have to plug off a port on one of the throttle bodies. It's impossible to get your hand in there. I used a long needle nose to install the rubber nipple.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Instead of disconnecting the hard-to-get-to hose, I cut it and plugged it. When I get a V-BAK it will get in there and plug it at the cyclynder.

Like everyone says, follow the directions on Redhorse site. Its easy enough I could even do it. You ca also save a few bucks by getting the plugs at the automotive store and make your own block off plates.

·
Registered
34 Posts
This is a very easy mod that I did last night, but I do have one question. On the fuel regulator, there is a vaccum port that doesn't have anything connected. Is this correct? The bike runs fine with nothing connected, but I wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing anything.

·
Administrator
29,703 Posts
You are correct - the empty port allows atmospheric pressure to assist fuel pressure regulation. Congrats on the mod!

vankleekkw said:
This is a very easy mod that I did last night, but I do have one question. On the fuel regulator, there is a vaccum port that doesn't have anything connected. Is this correct? The bike runs fine with nothing connected, but I wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing anything.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
how long did it take you to get this done? it took me about an hour to do my power commander. is it more difficult than that?

·
Registered
34 Posts
It is a little more difficult than the PC. Take tank off, side cover off, rip some stuff off, put back together. The only hard part was to take the parts off the engine since it is a tight fit.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I was wondering where this redhorse site is cuz I am not finding what everyone seems to be talking about? I wanted to do this too on the AIS to help eliminate what little popping I have left on my bike.

thanks

chuck

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Churchkey will sell you a couple plates with his VBAK kit. You'll have to grind them a bit, but they're aluminum so it only takes a couple minutes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Who cares block it off.....its cheap and whenever you do get it professionally dynoed you get a more accurate reading. Its emmisions junk EPA standard garbage

1 - 17 of 17 Posts