RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the reasons I got the Warrior was for its handling ability, but now I have a slight dilemma. I really like the look of a 250 rear tire but would hate to lose the handling characteristics of the bike. Those of you that have done this mod please let all of know if you lose any, if not all of the great handling characteristics.

Thanks
Matt[^]

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Maybe if you low down the front will compensate for the loose of handling. At Daytona I saw a Warrior or Roadstar I can't remember in the yamaha boost that has a 250 rear but the front was a 130 /etc
I beleive that if you inflate the rear wheel only 18psi. it will give you the same feeling of a 250 rear. Any one there with another thought? By the way what is the high of the 250/? If 50 that will be 125mm high. If 45 = 112.50mm If 40 = 100mm that is the same high of your 200/50/17.
Right now the only rims for 250 tire are 18".

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Mattowar: Check this sitehttp://www.thunderbike.de/us/index.html

It has a Roadstar with a rear 280 by Metzeler. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Penzoil

Mattowar: Check this sitehttp://www.thunderbike.de/us/index.html

It has a Roadstar with a rear 280 by Metzeler. Enjoy!

Hey guys:

Spend the rest of the week browsing this site!! Then, after you get really desperate, order the 200 or so pages catalogue!! After you get the catalogue, put up a list of Saving & Loans Banks you need to rob in the next couple of months!!

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
AK Raptor: I e-mail those guys for a price on an electrical item and was the same price in USA dollars. The S & H is the real problem.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
thunderbike does a really good job in customizing roadies. they're the top of jap-cutomizers in my opinion but if i would install a large rear-tire, i would take a 240 on 18 inch because then you don't have to change the swingarm. 240 fits in the stock swingarm as far as i know. and all this 250er-trouble because of nearly 2/5 inches? no.
but i have to agree: i saw their 280er-roadies on their party last weekend. they're just bombastic! but don't ask for handling. these are showbikes! they tested the 280er roadie in a custom-magazine here in germany and said: well, no bad handling if you know it's a 280er. but handling is much worser than 200ers or 210ers.
a friend of mine has the 250er on his roadstar and it's a pity to ride behind him through the curves. it seems as if he carries the bike around the corner.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
I agree, why not have the best of both worlds,
Hey wait that is the warrior, A nice 200 section.
With great handling.
I do like the look, but also like the handling

Kyle

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Guys,

You can go to a 240 Rear tire, it is a much better tire than the 250 and by raising the backend an inch or so, the bike still handles nicely.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
quote:Originally posted by timoken

i would take a 240 on 18 inch because then you don't have to change the swingarm. 240 fits in the stock swingarm as far as i know.

you need to mosify the Swingarm for the 240 or the 250. The 240 is optimized for the 18x8.5"rim.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
so 210 is the largest you can go without modifing the swingarm? it looks as if there's lot of space to belt, brake and swingarm. would a smaller rim make it fit?

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Well, the problem is that there is no tire larger than the 210 in the 17" rim size. That is the largest. To go to a 240 you have to go to 18" wheel, and the increased diameter along with the widened width, will not fit. the 240 is 6% larger in circumference thant the stock 200, so you will have to drop down to a 31 tooth on the front pulley to keep your speedometer accurate and your final ratio the same. 250 is even more and expands during rotation.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Re: the 200 (not to change the subject) can a 190 be put on that rim? Would this improve handling? Wasn't the Dunlop 200 that's on the bike developed specially for the Warrior? Has anyone reading this felt that the 200 is an impediment to handling?

Thanks.

CC

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
1)Yes, a 190/50 can be put on the stock rim.It will be 5mm less high.
Dunlop recomend a 5.5"for a 180/55 tire but can use a 6.0" too. So you can use 190/50 and 180/55 too. The 180 is 1mm less high from info on tires. From Dunlop site the 180/55 is taller than 200/50. Surprise? My opinion is that a 180/55 on a 5.5"rim will improve the Warrior handling and a less triangulated profile at the front help too.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I am going with a metzler 240 because i am building this bike more for looks and drag then handling on corners. I'm more or less a Cruiser anyhow. I have a Roadstar custom and don't really rip around a hole lot. That might change once I get my warrior finished. I have also heard that if I am gonna ride with any of you on your san bernardino runs I'm gonna have to step up the pace a bit. /emoticons/emotion-1.gif

·
Registered
190 Posts
I was really hoping to get the 250 rear set up. I was thinking that I would have to change (the swing arm, rear tire, front and rear wheels,BAK (for extra power to offset the extra rotating mass), rear fender, (tank strech and custom paint because of the rear fender)) Then Timoken says that the handeling is not a little worse but really bad, and Bismarck says that the pully needs to be changed too.

This mod is really beautiful, it is the quintesential custom cruiser mod and makes any bike stand out from the rest. I want this kind of look, but every time I hear about how to accomplish this it gets harder.

I am expecting a loss in handeling, but not so much in speed because of the BAK. How could the 240-250 be done and lose as little performance as possible?

Does the rear fender need to be changed?

Does the pully need to be changed? Drive belt?

How do you widen the swing arm and how hard is it?

Is there something that I have yet to think of that will need to be done too?

Thanks for the help.

Mike

Riding is freedom

·
Registered
1 Posts
HEY EVERYONE ! I'M BUYING A WARRIOR WITHIN THE NEXT MONTH. QUESTION. I LOVE THE IDEA OF A WIDE TIRE IN THE REAR. I'M NOT CONCERN ABOUT PERFORMANCE JUST THE LOOKS. DOES THIS INVOLVE ALOT OF CHANGES?? PLEASE LET ME KNOW THANKS

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
ironhorse, Here are some answers

Does the rear fender need to be changed? NO

Does the pulley need to be changed? Drive belt?

\\NO, for teh 250 you just have to space the front pulley, you would change the pulley to 31 tooth if you wnat to keep the original final drive ratio, but many people move up to the 33 tooth pulley for taller gears, this would have the same effect

How do you widen the swing arm and how hard is it?

\\the kit includes the widened Swingarm and widened wheel. The swing arm widening has evolved, it is cut and then reinforces for more torsional rigidity.

Is there something that I have yet to think of that will need to be done too?

\\no the kit from cycle Image allows you to use all your stock components and its based on exchang, so no down time to you.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have the 250. On an 18 by 8.5 wheel. There is no loss in horsepower. There is a slight loss in handling. Even so I can still get over far enugh to drag a peg once in a while. I used Barrons swing arm kit and I love it. The swing arm looks trick because it is custom and gives it more of a custom look.

Download Attachment: DCP_1455.jpg
56.11KB

1 - 20 of 27 Posts