RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah... the guy that previously owned the bike musta been an electrical genius... or yamaha really has a strange design flaw.... The horn on the bike gets a constant 12+ feed and the button merely grounds the horn. So if you have a horn with a metal body... it will stay on all the time. Brilliant

Anyway here are pictures: (click to zoon)

It actually looks stock! Sorry for the dirty bike and crappy overbright camera flash.

Here's what i did:

I discovered there were two holes on the inside of the frame next to where if makes an upside down V at the gas tank. I took an 8mmx1.5mm tap and tapped the ride side. I painted the back of the horn and the bracket flat black with two coats of grill paint, then mounted everything up.

Heres the problem:
I turned the key and the horn was stuck on. (But it sure is loud, and it throws the sound forward, I was sitting in front of it) Aparently yamaha wires this with +12v constant and switchable ground. wtf? Guess I need a relay!

·
Premium Member
8,959 Posts
exabrial .... the horn in the photos appear to be a 2-terminalFiamm Freeway Blaster 5ampunit or equivalentand will work fine if properly connected to the Warrior wiring.

There is nothing at all unusual about the Yamaha horn circuit or switching the GRND conductor. This methodology is common and has been in use for many many years in both the automotive and motorcycle industry.

I suggest you review the hornwiring diagram and do a thorough inspection of all connections.

Wiring Diagram: http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/1/1/1673654/Warrior/Warrior%20Schematic.pdf

I've had this horn in service for nearly 3-years : http://rswarrior.com/forums/p/111114/913817.aspx#913817

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok I got this working... Without a relay or messy extra wiring. Just had to ground-lift the horn body.

I took my dremel and cut two flat strips of black ABS plastic from an old vacuum cleaner hose tip I had laying around. I roughed one side of each one of them with a rasp and applied superglue and taped them together while they dried. I then drilled a hole at each end of the strip essentially making a non-conductive mounting bracket. Mounted the horn up in the same position on the front of the bike. Horns sound great and work like an absolute charm. No extra wiring, no relay and I did this with parts/supplies I had laying around.

Now when I bought the aftermarket blaster horn, it was a 'High-Note' horn. To keep that awesome 'car-like' horn sound the bike had, I took the old low-note horn off the foot peg and relocated it to the rear position. If you want to do this, just take the bracket off each horn and use the rear bracket on the front horn. It fits, but the horn will now face forward slightly instead of straight down.

The horns are LOUD as ****, and the front one is facing forward and throws a lot of sound out in front of the bike. And with the high-note + low-note combo, the bike still sounds like a car. I couldn't be any happier with this install and was simpler that taking off the tank and pulling wiring from under the seat. :D :D :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts