RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But my son and I went out for a quick trip to "Duncan Junction" for breakfast. 12 degrees out there. We were gonna ride all the way in to town and eat at the Waffle House but my right eyeball was freezing in the socket and I was having trouble keeping that eye open. And my hands were sort of frozen to the point where it was hard to work the clutch. That's the coldest weather I've ever ridden in. Google maps says 7.2 miles from our house to Duncan Junction. *brrrr*

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Some people just ain't to smart! I'm one of those people
I left from Jonesborough headed to Chattanooga(3.5 hrs) it was 13 degrees when I left with a predicted high of 32. Ride on!

·
Registered
11,588 Posts
Negative15 here to cold to ride **** you you can't even dive into a pool without getting a headache..

·
Registered
169 Posts
Been hittin between 12-15 degrees in the am here in ATL...I know it is colder in other places but this is Georgia for petes sake...I am gonna "cowboy-up" and go for a ride so I can say I rode in blisteringly cold weather lol !!!! Went to a local park, close by the other day to take pics and the water droplets from just washing it froze on the way there...

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Mid teens here for the past few days. Been riding every day I but if I wasn't getting paid to ride, I would be in the car. I wear enough stuff to tolerate it but I am damned sure not having fun.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
it was the coldest night here in something like 6 years or so , got down to around 25 in jax. it is now officially too cold to ride in north florida, i dont know how you guys up north deal with this stuff

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Ken (A.K.A. Big Shasta) said:
Harleys start in the cold?

(That's COLD....good for you)
Sure they do and once they get warm you can use the oil that leaks to warm your hands. Great cold weather bike.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
It got up to 55 degrees today and there were alot of bikes out, but not me! There is still too much salt on the roads and I like my bike blue not white!

·
Premium Member
4,412 Posts
DanGunman said:
Some people just ain't to smart! I'm one of those people
I left from Jonesborough headed to Chattanooga(3.5 hrs) it was 13 degrees when I left with a predicted high of 32. Ride on!
Now Dan, why in this world would you go and do something like that for? 13 degrees is cold enough to have icicles hanging from your berries, brrrrr.

·
Registered
10,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
todd9 said:
Don't any of you guys worry about ice on the road?
Nah, Harleys are immune to ice. *Tim-the-tool-man-grunt-noises*

·
Premium Member
13,680 Posts
todd9 said:
Don't any of you guys worry about ice on the road?

If the temp is below freezing theice will, over time, disappear on it's own. The processes is called sublimation. It goes straight from a solid to a gaseous state and the roads end up nice and dry. The real problem is when the temps are higher, right at 32 and above, and black ice forms. The road looks somewhat damp, but it's not. You just have a thin layer of killer ice on top and I do mean killer. In Iceland Ihave seen it on the road with the outside temp at 45! A super cold, moist layer of air came in off of the ocean and stayed right at ground level. A section of the road turned into black ice in under 15 minutes. I went through the S curves on the way to work with no problems at all. 15 minutes laterwe had a 3 car pile up because of the ice. Cold temps don't bother me, I can dress for it. Black ice scares the **** out of me cuz you can't always recognize it.

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
For the older carbureted ones, heat the carbs with a hair dryer for about 10 minutes.
Ken (A.K.A. Big Shasta) said:
Harleys start in the cold?

·
Registered
151 Posts
it was 0deg here yesterday,got everything back together on my bike and said to **** with it,put a lil gas in the tank and i would head to the gas station and put some in and put it back in the garage,i got 4 blocks with everybody looking at me wierd like i was on crack and then my hands stopped working(no gloves),next 20 minutes i was trying to get feeling back in them and then it was seering pain.lol but she ran like a raped ape in the cold

·
Registered
861 Posts
I don't even ride my snowmobile when its this cold...wind chills around 30 below zero! I am going to Florida in less than a month and have already reserved a rental Roadstar....can't wait.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts