RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alternative mod to Buying lowering links or doing the FNG mod.

I went this way and avoided the Relay flip and grind lowering method for the reasoning of failures I've seen. Yeah plenty here have had no issues but there's been more then enough failures to sway me from it.
I know I could do it but I think this way is better.

If you have welding skills and wanna save some money you can do this with your stock shock links to lower your bikes. Or you can have a shop do it for you and it still would be cheap.
I extended my stock shock links. If you know how to weld then this is the safer motion to the FnG. For every 1/8" stretch you lower 3/4" or 3/16" stretch you lower 1" and so on.
I went 1/4"

high carbon dog bone links-
stock links are 11 3/16" center on center.
I cut them both in half. sand blasted. cut two 1/4 x 1/4 x 3/4 carbon steel pieces to fill and add to the links(Left a small gap to make up for material removed when cut). Tig welded all together, Belt sanded to smooth the weld flat with the link. flipped and welded the other side. belt sanded smooth. There like there one piece and never cut..
Strength strips-
Cut two 1/4 x 5/8 x 8 strips and cleaned up with the belt sander.
Rounded the ends. Tig welded to the dog bone links. Filed down any rough edges. Sand blasted. Painted.
I didn't need the extra plates on the sides but why not haha.

Sorry no pics on before only after. I did have my Eibach 1000lb spring and cranked preload so it's a bit higher then it was normally.

I don't run these anymore as I pulled them Years ago as I wanted to ride hard and still take the curves without adding damage to my bike by scraping easier. There safely put away for another time...

(NOTE)
You can raise the bike by doing the opposite but a max of 3/16".

Rudy Jeremias

·
Premium Member
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep that is a classic method from before when links were available in the market. I agree its still the way to go if you are set-up to weld at home! Thanks for posting this.
Even having a shop do it would be the cheaper way to go in cost. I don't like the idea of the flip and grind of the relay even though many have had good results but the small number of failures swayed me from it.

Rudy Jeremias

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Great job. I bought a set of links to do this with and never done it. Not sure, but may have to go do it now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts