RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been on average -10 degrees here the past few days. -20* last nite and I look forward to it being above 0*but not gonna happen for a few days. Anyways.... I went out to my little garage (shed) and let the kerosene heater run for bout 1.5hrs but it was so cold it really didn't feel to help a whole lot. I went out to remove the rear wheel to get it ready for widening.

1. Removed the left side horizontalbolt on the top of the caliper fairly easy

2. Tried removing the ride side horizontal bolt on top of the caliper. The first whole turn was smooth... then just bound up.
Now I've had the wheel off twice now, and Ialways thread bolts in as far as I can with my fingers to prevent stripping them. I just couldn't figure this one out. I tried to turn it the other way (tighten it) to see if it was stuck and sure enough it was. Why would it turn easily one full turn then get stuck? Anyway after bout 7min of trying to wiggle itback and forth,I just decided to take it out. The threads towards the bolt head end look smashed.normally when you strip a bolt it starts at the threaded end 1st?

3. I removed the rotor from the wheel. I've never had this off before. The bolts where very tight and hadstrong resistance the whole way out. Normally a bolt gets easier as it comes out unless it's corroded.

These leads me to my question (finally). I don't know what kind of material the bolts are (steel?) and I know everything else is aluminum. I know aluminum is much softer than steel and both react differently to the same temps, butis it possible that it was so cold the aluminum had such a tight bite on the bolt that it stripped it as I was removing it? I'm not sure if the treads on the caliper are stripped... it was so **** cold that I just wanted to get the wheel stripped down and call it a night.

Anyone have any thoughts??????

·
Registered
84 Posts
plan on installing a hile-coil on the swing arm.... don't worry it will be 30% stronger then stock...aluminum and steel do no get along well.... especily at temp extreams

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I know that the rotor bolts and the caliper mount bolts were coated from the factory with some variety of threadlocker/sealer, when I did the front end swap on the '04 back in the spring, but I didn't experience any problems with seizing or difficulty removing them on mine. The caliper mounts on the fork are cast metal from what I can recall, most likely aluminum, and the bolts are steel...and you are right they do have dfferent rates of corrosion and contraction/expansion. Bear in mind that the work was done back in May when daytime temps were fairly, warm, even for northern Alberta! You might want to let the parts warm to room temp, even if it means removing them and keeping them inside for a day or two before you make another attempt. Also, did you try any kind of penetrating fluid or solvent on the threads first? That might help.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SuicideD_45 said:
You might want to let the parts warm to room temp, even if it means removing them and keeping them inside for a day or two before you make another attempt. Also, did you try any kind of penetrating fluid or solvent on the threads first? That might help.

Well everything is already apart. The biggest thing was the one bolt in the caliper that ended up stripping out for the unknown reason
.Didn't try any lube,my hands were pretty numbby thattime and that rubber boot the bolt slides into got in the way.

humpywarrior said:
plan on installing a hile-coil on the swing arm.... don't worry it will be 30% stronger then stock...aluminum and steel do no get along well.... especily at temp extreams

Actually it's the bolts on the caliper itself.... sorry for my lack of terminology. The two horizontal bolts that hold the 2 sides of the caliper together. The bolt that holds the caliper to the swing arm came out fine.

I'm definitely waiting till it's at least above 32 degrees to anymore work haha.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I realized after I posted that you were talking about the rear, not the front, sorry...still, those bolts didn't give me any trouble at all when changing swingarms. They thread into the caliper mount itself, not the caliper, with a long nose that is unthreaded to line up the caliper on the mount.

Yamaha uses some chalky/sticky thread compound on crucial bolts, but it came loose no problems...I might've used a shot of WD 40 on them beforehand though, I can't remember now!

I'm faced with a worse situation than you(-30 c here) but luckily the bike is covered and inside heated underground parking!

Stay warm and happy modding...and Merry Christmas too!

Dan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts