RS Warrior Forum banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Oil fill

Hello,
Just did my oil change. Took both plugs off as well as the filter, let it drain over night; next morning I leveled the bike, hit the starter button to turn the engine without starting it, let it drain for a couple more hours. Plugged everything back, replaced with new filter, put 2.5 qts of oil in turned it on a few seconds, put the rest of the container in (3.78 total), no oil on dipstick, went and got another qt, ended up putting the whole thing in; just barely on dipstick (yes it's screwed all the way in). Rode it a couple of miles, added another .25 qts and it's midway on the marks. That's about 5 qts total plus I could add another .25 no problem. Specs call for 4.10 w/filter; what is the total system capacity? I know I drained as much as I could get out, but an entire qt. Thanks for any info you give me.

Williamd8656,

Just did an oil change and ran into the same thing you did 5.1 qts to fill it up. I put the 4.1 qts took it for a 15 min ride, the oil barely hit the bottom of the dip stick. poured a little more rechecked, and so on until I reached the point where I added 5.1 qts total. Any who did you have to drain any out after a day or two? Now the manual does say 5.3 for a "dry engine". Now is that for a engine that has never had oil in it? It's still gotta be close to that (5.3 qts) if you lean the bike over to get that last little bit out, which I did do. Comments?

·
Administrator
28,170 Posts
I think most of us measure how much oil we remove, and assuming none was puked-out the overflow or burned along the way its a good way to do it. But after an oil change the only way to know if a dry-sump is properly filled is to ride it to actually get all the ol warm and then check the level as shown in the video (see the Sticky post in The Welcome Mat).

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Got a question, Just switched from amsoil to the Mobil1 exact type you pictured.
Now when i decel from third gear i hear a funny noise for half a second. Its sounds like its coming from my clutch or possibly my pully on the left side. Kind of a nub at this but doesn't the warrior have a wet clutch lubed from engine oil? I'm thinking this must be it since its the last thing i did besides replace my decompression solenoid. I just wanted to ask if anyone hears the same noise from after switching to mobil1.

I only hear it when i cut throttle to 0% but leave the clutch engaged in third gear and its only for about half a second tighten it sounds normal. ill test it out more tomorrow i didn't want to keep the how neighborhood awake.

Amazing tut by the way!
i've heard that some people have some slippage when they switch to synthetic. i didn't have that problem and i know that lots of people don't have a problem. check it out some more and post up a new thread to keep it on track.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Oil level

Ok Got home from work a 20 minute ride and checked the oil level again it was high. Had to drain 8oz's. That put me just about an 1/8" below the full mark. I put in a total 5 qts and 4oz's. So minus the 8oz's I took out, that puts me at 4qt's and 28oz's. Just about 5qt's.

Again that was me leaning the bike over on each side to get as much oil as I could get out.

I think I read somewhere in the post that the oil needs to expend so that you get an accurate reading. Also watched the video and it does show in the middle of the dip stick is the optimum level.

Hope this helps anybody else on their first oil change.

I'll give a SITREP (Army slang for Situation Report) tomorrow if I have to siphon any more out.

Until then... "Keep on rollin' baby"

·
Administrator
28,170 Posts
What is your secret, do you have an external oil cooler that isn't shown in your Album? If you are checking your oil level according to the video for a dry sump motor then forgive me but I don't understand why you are installing 5 Liters (5.3 Quarts) for an oil change when that overfills the system when the motor is operating. The service manual shows the total system contains 5 Liters but that's if you tear the motor down and rebuild it. Doing an oil change its hard to get every drop out of the motor even running it for a few seconds. Most people get a 'full' reading at about the 4.1-Liters (4.3 Quarts). I use a longer oil filter but that only gets a bit more oil.

ya just did mine getting ready to put her up for winter and it took 5 litres to the full mark every time..

·
Registered
137 Posts
Oil level

SITREP:

Ok got home today and had to take out more oil, lol. Another 8oz's that put me a 1/4" below the full line. So now I'm at 4 1/2 qts. for the oil change w/filter.

So I'm thinking when the tutorial says to go for a 15min ride it means 5th gear 60-70 MPH. Not a mix of low and high speeds. Hum?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Oil Level

Doesn't matter, just normal riding so the oil fully circulates several times and gets warm enough. Then its important to NOT rev it before shutting off the motor, which by now you know why that is important from the video.

I didn't rev it before/during a 30 second idle. I followed the directions as posted. I not sure why it took a day to get the oil level to come up. I initially
added the 4.3 ish but like I said in the beginning of my post the oil barely came up to the bottom of the dip stick, And that worried me so I kept on adding oil until I got a full reading. Next oil change I'm gonna just add the 4.3 and call it good.

This was obviously my first oil change with this bike, a little trial and error for my own piece mind.

Again the write up was spot on. Thx for all the comments and suggestions.

·
Registered
571 Posts
What is your secret, do you have an external oil cooler that isn't shown in your Album? If you are checking your oil level according to the video for a dry sump motor then forgive me but I don't understand why you are installing 5 Liters (5.3 Quarts) for an oil change when that overfills the system when the motor is operating. The service manual shows the total system contains 5 Liters but that's if you tear the motor down and rebuild it. Doing an oil change its hard to get every drop out of the motor even running it for a few seconds. Most people get a 'full' reading at about the 4.1-Liters (4.3 Quarts). I use a longer oil filter but that only gets a bit more oil.
did oil change by the book and 4.5 litres just shows quarter way up dip stick 5 litres brings it up to full mark but i did notice a little blowed in my breather box so next year i will have to try 4.75 litres and get her half way up the stick . and no extra oil cooler all stock motor...

·
Registered
571 Posts
arizonawarrior you were right Nov 12 and we have 20 c day went for a 2 hour ride and checked oil when got home and it was a little full drew out 300 to 400 ml and got her 2 thirds way up dip stick so about 4.5 litres for next year... thanks...

·
Registered
9 Posts
1st Time Oil Change

Hey Everyone! I just changed my own oil for the first time today and it couldn't have been easier. Thanks for the great instructions with pics... I know I would have messed something up without this tutorial. Best!

41 - 60 of 76 Posts