RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone;
I have read many posts old and new trying to figure out what's going on but have had no success, so here goes the story.

I have a 2003 warrior and it has been seating for a while in my trailer (that is the bike's garage). Have a gel battery I bought 2 years ago and it spent the year in my garage recharging intermittently and showing good charge.

I went to start the bike last week - battery in, key on, lights on, kill switch off... cranked slow and lazy a couple times and than the crackling sound of a dead battery. Didn't think it would take that little to drain it but oh well... went and got my powerpack and connected it. All came on - crank and it turned over slowww... once, twice, no start, and low juice again.

Charged the battery and the power pack overnight. Next day connected them and gave it another go. Turned over to the point that I was feeling the next crank was it... might have tried 5 times and it didn't start. After the last time all went silent.

As if stricken by lightning, I have no blue light in speedometer, no headlights, no horn, nothing BUT the green N light on. Everything else is powerless and pressing the start button does nothing.

Took all off - borrowed a good battery from my brother in law. Connected that and no sign of life again - all dark but for the N.

All fuses show power and the Neg terminal is tight. I hear a "tick" when I connect the battery terminals (similar to the speedo needle hitting the rest post on the 0mph position) and nothing else but the green N.

Please help - I'm stumped.

TIA - Dante

·
Registered
120 Posts
The start relay is what sends the power from the battery to the starter, also there are connections inside the headlight housing that can interrupt the power. Not the first place I'd look but one possibility.

·
Administrator
29,925 Posts
The motor has to be running before the headlight will illuminate. No worries.

Question. You said " . . . cranked slow and lazy a couple times and than the crackling sound of a dead battery." Was it the buzzing or rattling sound of a solenoid trying to work? The word "crackling" seems more like electric bits shorting out. Just wanting to gain clarity. Not being picky.

Humor me. Let's take stuff off the table. Sit on the bike, raise the kickstand, turn handlebar switch on, turn key on, put bike in gear then back in neutral and see if neutral light acts accordingly. Then with bike in neutral and clutch lever pulled in, turn on key and try starting. Probably no change but check anyway.

Then . . .

If the starting battery has adequate power, and if both ends of the POS and NEG cables are correctly connected, and if the starter relay is correct and working including its installed 30amp fuse (the second 30a fuse is a spare), then power is going to reach the starter post. Test for at least 12v (e-manual has help).

Next:
RE-TEST the 12v signal fuse or replace just to prove.

Next:
Verify/test the start circuit/fuel injection relay. 2002-2003 is 5PX-81950-00-00 and 2004+ is 5KS-81950-30-00. It's on the relay rack adjacent to the battery well. For help, there is a pdf and also a help thread for locating the denso turn signal relay on the same rack, and it shows how to release the relay rack.

Then:
Open the handlebar off switch, check the condition of the black/red and the red/white wires and connections. It's probably okay because the neutral bulb indicator illuminates but check anyway in case it's intermittent.

Along this path you might stumble across mouse-bitten wires or some such.

If no joy here, let us know.

It seems unlikely two batteries are bad. But did you do any work on the bike when you put it into storage a couple years ago?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts