RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
2002 XV1700PC Warrior
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
washable reusable oil filter

I found 3 posts on the matter, none of which has a definitive answer whether or nor they are good add on's.

post year:

Is anyone using one of these?
Is it any good?
There are several makers out there. Is there one that's better than another?
I have a 2002, are all warrior oil filters the same?

Custom Oil Filters - Reusable Oil Filters - Cleanable Oil Filters - Green Oil Filters

or

K&N Oil Filters - Oil Filters for Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, ATV's, Boats, and more!

or

Scotts Performance Products

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I would rather buy a disposable for under $4 and be done with it. I don't see it to be very cost effective if that's what your looking for and it's a little more time consuming and messy.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
I am not seeing the value here. As important as an oil filter is I wouldn't want to chance fooling around with it.

I have used them in dirt bikes with great success but that is a different application and oil is changed at a much higher frequency. Engine rebuilds are also common with dirt applications.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I didn't even realize Scotts made one for the Warrior, I have used them in dirt applications as well and they work great. While oil may be changed more in a dirtbike it also holds alot less and is beat on alot more, your talking double the RPMs the warrior is even capable of turning with alot more abuse. The reason motors are rebuilt more in dirt applications is not because of the oil or oil filter, it is because of lack of/improper maintenance or the fact that you are turning 12000 RPMs with a lightweight aluminum piston.

As far as the $4 oil filter goes...you get what you pay for. I run Genuine Yamaha filters and would def take my chances with a aftermarket metal filter made by a reputable company than spend $4 on a filter just to make my oil change cheaper.

Luv2LafMcc-If you are putting alot of miles on your bike and are changing the oil a few times a year then it might be worth it. If you change your oil once a year it will take a while for that bad boy to pay for itself. Of course there is also the argument that maybe it filters better? it surely is more convenient, and that chunk of billet hanging off the front of the motor would look alot better than the stock filter!

·
Premium Member
2002 XV1700PC Warrior
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[I would] take my chances with a aftermarket metal filter made by a reputable company than spend $4 on a filter just to make my oil change cheaper.

Of course there is also the argument that maybe it filters better? it surely is more convenient, and that chunk of billet hanging off the front of the motor would look a lot better than the stock filter!
Thanks Jbat, you seem to "get" what approach i have towards this. I find it interesting to see the attitude of "it will take to long for it to be "worth it"...A majority of the forum is dedicated to doing things to our bikes that are frivolous or unnecessary: fat tires, lowered, moved rectifiers, huge batteries, loud pipes, krank-vents etc... For $100, here's a cool looking, billet alum. with a heat-sink, much improved flow, and better filtration. seems like a no brainier, UNLESS THE FILTER SUCKED.

yes there's are $4 and $14 dollar alternatives for an oil filter...but there are also 750cc bikes we could ride as opposed to 1700cc.

Let me refocus the question for this thread:

Does anyone know of any DOWN SIDES to these filters, other than initial cost, and a bit more work during oil change?

here's the extent of the "more work" which doesn't seem to be the end of the world...

·
Premium Member
2002 XV1700PC Warrior
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
No downsides I know of, I like it...wonder if I could powdercoat the case black without affecting it (heat transfer capabilities, etc.)

Although I don't know if I would be washing my case with water like in the video, brake or contact cleaner will be just fine.

·
Premium Member
2002 XV1700PC Warrior
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is the part where we start talking about the bypass valve pressure right? Cuz if it's too high, it won't work. And that's all I know about that...

I dont think all of these offer a bypass...the flo (above) does not (i think).

·
Premium Member
2002 XV1700PC Warrior
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That would be my question concerning the downside.
so i should look for one with a bypass? Do regular paper/$5 filters have a bypass?

·
Registered
13,108 Posts
I'm totally not the expert here. I got lost a half dozen times that this has come up.

But here's a little I did catch -all filters (I believe) have a bypass valve. This then bypasses the oil so it doesn't go through the filter. Why? Hmmm... maybe because at idle you wouldn't have enough oil pressure without one. Like I said, this is fuzzy for me too. But, here's where I'm back on solid ground -well kinda- Car filters have higher pressure on their bypass valves -as you can imagine, a car has higher pressure overall anyway. So, if you use a filter with a bypass valve with too high of pressure, then the bike won't generate enough pressure to push through that valve, and your oil would always be bypassed. In other words, it wouldn't ever get filtered. So you want to make sure the filter you use passes specs for this specific bike, because each bike has different oil pressure. The previous discussions then dissolve into who's got the best filter, who's got cardboard backing etc. Which I could care less about. But I do want to make sure I have a filter that will actually filter the oil all the time.

So I guess my question is this -is this filter system designed for a bike with higher pressure? Because if so it may not work on this bike. If it doesn't even have one, then I imagine it would work -although not having one may screw something up as well, I don't even know exactly why they need one.

I guess someone who knows more needs to chime in here now :)

·
Registered
436 Posts
although not having one may screw something up as well, I don't even know exactly why they need one.
Maybe it does NOT need one, after all that filter ain't gonna blow up if there is too much pressure...

The Scotts has Full Flow bypass with progressive valving. No need to disassemble for cleaning.

Anyone remember when motorcycles did not have a oil filter, but a centrifugal oil cleaner?

·
Registered
8,292 Posts
Still run mine without issue, IMHO its better than a beer can cover.

Post 1, select post year 2004.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Car filters have higher pressure on their bypass valves -as you can imagine, a car has higher pressure overall anyway. So, if you use a filter with a bypass valve with too high of pressure, then the bike won't generate enough pressure to push through that valve, and your oil would always be bypassed. In other words, it wouldn't ever get filtered.
oh **** is this true? I may have had it backwards. i thought the bypass valve was there (and normally closed, forcing oil through the filter media) and if pressures got too high (start up/clogged filter) that the valve would open and allow the oil to bypass the filter media. meaing that if the bypass valve had too high of a psi rating (higher than the warriors pressure output) then then the valve would never open thereby possibly starving parts of the engine for oil. im so confused now

·
Premium Member
2002 XV1700PC Warrior
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also...these are supposed to allow 7 times the flow of paper filters? Perhaps thats why a bypass is unneeded?

we need to enlist some of the TECH GURU's on here...

on a related note, what oil pressures are our warriors supposed to run at? I have a pressure gauge that reads about 25-30 at idle and 80+ WOT. Is that accurate?

·
Premium Member
2002 XV1700PC Warrior
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Still run mine without issue, IMHO its better than a beer can cover.

THERE IT IS.... If Church is running one...Thats good enough for me!

WHICH one/brand do you use Church? What year is your warrior?

·
Registered
8,292 Posts
Have a Lukas, probably the same thing as a Scott without a name etched in.

Bike is 02, put the filter on when I did the motor & added an oil cooler. Either during summer of 02 or 03. Probably 03 when I pulled the motor & did the trans recall + .075 fifth gear.

By pass valves are pressure equalizers, to much oil pressure on cold start up or clogged filters. I never use them on performance engines. If you neglect oil changes to the point the oil filter gets clogged or if you rev a cold engine to red line you deserve engine failure.

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts