RS Warrior Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
2002 XV1700PC Warrior
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
at 2:35 they discuss SQUARE o-ring for better seal...

·
Premium Member
2002 XV1700PC Warrior
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
BUMP for the question: Is there a difference between the 2002 and 2004 bike with regards to oil filter install?

**all the sites im checking for compatibility for this washable oil filter start at 2004 and not 2002...
Im assuming its just their omitting or lack of effort for them to confirm.

FLO Spin On Stainless Steel Oil Filter $82.11

·
Premium Member
2002 XV1700PC Warrior
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hi all,

Thanks for your help with my questions. I've installed the FLO oil filter (PSC-1 link: Yamaha Side by Side PCS1 ). No need for a big "how to" as there are many on oil changes for us to see. Below is some info and some pics i took for "posterity" !

I had a conversation with JJ in sales at PC Racing, to get some more info on these before I jumped in. Here's what I learned:

• SS mesh filter is rated on and absolute pass of media (oil) at 30 microns. Paper filters are rated on multipass (3 times) of the media (oil) and have a cumulative effective capture that has a tolerance of 3 times the rated particulate size. A 20 micron paper filter can allow a 60 micron particle to pass, but eventually average capture over 3 passes.
  • The FLO does not have the center "return tube" that paper filters have. The central tube has holes in it, which is the only flow path for the oil. The FLO filter's entire filter is open and available to pass oil. This area increase, is how the filter allows 7 times more FLOW through 100% of the filter, with a higher single pass filter rate.
  • Less oil flow restrictions will relieve some of the oil-pump's demands on the engine, which allows for some slight performance and efficiency increase.
  • This filter does have an oil bypass (ball bearing/spring differential), but because of the vast flow through increase (7 times more), should not be a factor, even during cold weather starts; It's there as a catastrophic safety option.
  • There is no drain back valve. Their testing found that the flow back "flap/valve" was ineffective at retaining oil in any filter for more than 15 min. It was removed as a potential mechanical failure point.

JJ wanted to know why i was so curious, and could here me typing notes. I explained about the RS Warrior Forum, and he offered a discounted purchase price to all members!!

Shop around online, but the offer is there: PCS-1 for $95.96 + shipping to you (USPS to me was $4). Just call/email JJ : 951-698-4962 [email protected])

Un boxing: stickers, and 3 replacement o-rings (in addition to the one already on the unit!) and the PCS-1 unit (casing, spring, filter)

** note: this has my 17mm wrench on it...**

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
very cool man, thanks for updating. It appears there is some sort of "finish" on the casing? so is it not silver?

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'm totally not the expert here. I got lost a half dozen times that this has come up.

But here's a little I did catch -all filters (I believe) have a bypass valve. This then bypasses the oil so it doesn't go through the filter. Why? Hmmm... maybe because at idle you wouldn't have enough oil pressure without one. Like I said, this is fuzzy for me too. But, here's where I'm back on solid ground -well kinda- Car filters have higher pressure on their bypass valves -as you can imagine, a car has higher pressure overall anyway. So, if you use a filter with a bypass valve with too high of pressure, then the bike won't generate enough pressure to push through that valve, and your oil would always be bypassed. In other words, it wouldn't ever get filtered. So you want to make sure the filter you use passes specs for this specific bike, because each bike has different oil pressure. The previous discussions then dissolve into who's got the best filter, who's got cardboard backing etc. Which I could care less about. But I do want to make sure I have a filter that will actually filter the oil all the time.

So I guess my question is this -is this filter system designed for a bike with higher pressure? Because if so it may not work on this bike. If it doesn't even have one, then I imagine it would work -although not having one may screw something up as well, I don't even know exactly why they need one.

I guess someone who knows more needs to chime in here now :)

Call me crazy. But from what I remember of Automotive school back in highschool and bypass valve in an oil filter is for emergency.

If they filter gets clogged and too much pressure builds in the system, the valve will open allowing oil to circulate around the filters themselves, so that your engine doesnt bind up.

This is the debate with cheap filters. A cheap Fram filter has a cardboard valve which could break down or even purge prematurely. The better quality filters have rubber valves.

I dont think the pressure valve has anything to do with idle or cars vs bikes. A bike MAY be able to handle higher pressures before it is released, but thats only a guess.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Thanks for the info Lov2LafMcc. I learned something new today.

So with everything discussed above. Do you think its overall worth the money to buy one of these?

It boils down to.... have you ever heard of someones engine dieng because they used a cheaper oil filter? or is it just for piece of mind that you have better cleaning performance?

·
Premium Member
2002 XV1700PC Warrior
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Do you think its overall worth the money to buy one of these?

Hey street,

I dont know that i put the value in the savings. Considering i change oil 2 a year, at $15 a filter, it would take me 3 1/2 years to break even. For me, I wanted the biter filtration, added ease on the oil pump, additional oil flow, passive oil cooler, and of course, a cool look'n TECH filter.

As with most things we do to our warriors, the "cool look'n" can only be valued by the buyer. Is / was it worth it to me? obviously, yes. Its a cheap, quick $100 mod thats different than what most other's have on their toys...

So the question is: Do you like it and is it worth $100 buck to you?

·
Premium Member
2002 XV1700PC Warrior
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
As of today (3 years), I have not had a lick of issue since using this FLO, and am also comforted to know that Church's bike has 12 years on this filter.

I wanted to included the information (below) from a recent thread to help present a balanced resource for anyone that reads this, thinking about this mod.

Thread link:----> http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/11-...uestions/165103-oil-filter-2.html#post3113994

Although likely a non-issue with our engines, you are incorrect re; superior oil filtration and flow rate of the stainless filters compared to higher end cellulose/ fiberglass filters regardless of what the manufacturer advertises.

Most all aftermarket paper filter manufacturers (K&N, HiFlo) source their filter media from Ahlstrom. Although Ahlstrom manufactures varying grades of media, their common filter paper has a multi pass rating of 20miron and an absolute micron rating of 98.7%@30micron. Some vendors spec. different paper with different cellulose/ fiberglass makeup, and slightly different efficiencies. The stainless filters are essentially a 2D net that has significantly less capture area than comparably sized cellulose/ fiberglass filters. Imagine that as contaminants are filtered out of the oil, the pores in the stainless mesh begin to clog. Once occupied by debris, the pore is no longer open to oil flow. The cellulose media is more like a sponge, with 3D layers of porous material to capture debris while maintaining flow rate.Common stainless material is a plain dutch weave 80x180 wires per inch, and has an absolute micron rating of 98.7% efficiency at 55micron.

Without saying too much, my employer fields a race team that is sponsored by a stainless mesh filter manufacturer. The manufacturer promised better filtration, higher flow rate and relatively infinite life span. After switching to the stainless filters we had immediately visible piston skirt wear abnormalities, main bearing durability and valvetrain wear issues. Not one to believe everything I'm told, I had an independent lab analyze the stainless filter as well as OEM and two leading aftermarket filters and the results speak for themselves. The stainless media filters less efficiently, is more restrictive and significantly more costly than paper filter types. Since switching back to a cellulose filter we have resolved our engine wear issues.

Another component of the stainless filter is properly servicing and cleaning the filter media. It is nearly impossible to accurately remove contaminants from the filters without either washing debris thru (into the clean side) the filter. We now use OEM-type cellulose filters.

Blue( SS), Red(OEM paper), Green and Purple (aftermarket).

FYI our race engines have a service interval of 2 hours between fresh build, dyno breakin, race and disassembly/ inspection. Granted race engines are entirely different animals than our Warrior platform, and the piston cam profile, main bearing clearance and the kind of rpm the race platform sees indicates that the difference in filter efficiency between the stainless media and cellulose shows up within that 2 hour service interval. If we allow the engines to run an extended interval with the SS filter the increased bearing wear causes localized cavitation that quite quickly becomes of detriment. According to the collective forum experience the stainless filter media seems adequate for our application, but the fact remains that the merit explained by others has proven, in my experience, to be far from true.

Another point: it may outwardly appear that race teams are using these filters, as teams are paid to represent their sponsors product. But as with my own personal experience appearance and reality often never meet.

SC186 - great information...that is hard to find info unless you in the biz as you seem to be. Not at all surprised that "sponsor" doesn't always mean "best product for the job"...it just means "they wrote a check".

Your presentation seems rock solid to me, and puts a sour taint on the whole thing, but as you say, since most of us aren't running race engines at race engine stress/rpm levels, the balance of convenience and performance should still be in check.

thanks for the excellent, informative posts...
My filter is still happily on my bike, and "looks" fantastic to me.

·
Premium Member
2002 XV1700PC Warrior
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Just a redundant post to say that having this has been nothing but 2 thumbs up!

I know Jim has been considering it... DO IT!!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
washable reusable oil filter

I found 3 posts on the matter, none of which has a definitive answer whether or nor they are good add on's.

post year:

Is anyone using one of these?
Is it any good?
There are several makers out there. Is there one that's better than another?
I have a 2002, are all warrior oil filters the same?

Custom Oil Filters - Reusable Oil Filters - Cleanable Oil Filters - Green Oil Filters

or

K&N Oil Filters - Oil Filters for Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, ATV's, Boats, and more!

or

Scotts Performance Products

Actually the best filter on the market is amsoils nano filter.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts