RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's time for a battery and I am trying to decide what to do. I wanted to know if anyone has ever tried the Braille B14115 11.5lb battery, it appears to be a beast, the dimensions are very close to the SVR 14 so it should fit "relatively" easy. I'm just curious as what some might think about the terminals working or not. I'm willing to give this a try if I know I can get it in and hooked up, otherwise I'm jst gonna go with the SVR 14 since I know it can fit.

Any input is appreciated as usual.

·
Administrator
29,681 Posts
This info is put out there by the folks that sell ths battery, and may be owned by the manufacturer, but either way they have a vested interest. http://shop.edoperformance.com/braille-batteries-a-17.html

904pca calculates mathmatecally to 360cca as shown on the chart, however these math conversions are always wrong in the real world, which is why CCA is tested at zero degrees to account for the nature of the chemicals and metals at zero degrees. Until you've been stuck on a cold night because your battery won't crank its hard to understand why PCA is not the industry standard. I'm sure this battery will be great for awhile but with age I'd think it will soon begin to lose cranking power. That being said I have never heard of this battery and I could be all wet. I'm basing my guess on their advertising use of PCA instead of CCA.

Quart2000 said:
Well it's time for a battery and I am trying to decide what to do. I wanted to know if anyone has ever tried the Braille B14115 11.5lb battery, it appears to be a beast, the dimensions are very close to the SVR 14 so it should fit "relatively" easy. I'm just curious as what some might think about the terminals working or not. I'm willing to give this a try if I know I can get it in and hooked up, otherwise I'm jst gonna go with the SVR 14 since I know it can fit.

Any input is appreciated as usual.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should mention how I came across this battery. I have been researching batteries for a week or two at least, I was on a couple custom bike forums and read a few threads of certain builders using this battery for big bore bikes 120ci+, and also other guys using them in their big bore customs. As I read their threads the Braille battery and th SVR 14 were the most common used in the larger higher performance bikes because of their superior cranking ability over the standard everday and stock batteries.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Just when I thought it was safe to buy a battery here comes this!!!!! Nice find thanks:}:}

Braille Battery

The Specs:
- Voltage: 12
- AH: 15
- PCA: 700 Pulse Cranking Amps
- Length: 5.8"
- Width: 3.3"
- Height: 5.9
- Weight: 11.5 lb or 5.2kg
- Use: Road Racing, Drag Racing, Rally Racing, Auto- Cross and Daily Use.

Cranking Amps of Batteries Down to 7.2 Volts

Braille B14115 compared to Odyssey PC 680, Dyna-Batt,

And Hawker Energy Genesis G16EP

Cranking Amp Tests

Braille B14115

Dyna-Batt

Odyssey PC 680

Hawker Energy Genesis G16EP

PCA 5 sec

PCA 10 sec

PCA 20 sec

HCA

CA

CCA

Amps Hour Rating of Batteries Down to 10.5 Volts*

Cranking Amp Tests

Braille B14115

Dyna-Batt

Odyssey PC 680

Amp Hour Rating at 10.5 volts

*Please note that since the numbers are claimed from each company (meaning they could have previously been rounded up or down), the results are also claimed.

Braille B14115

Dyna-Batt

Odyssey PC 680

Size

5.80 x 3.32 x 5.88

7.15 x 3.01 x 6.65

7.27 x 3.12 x 6.67

7.15 x 3.01 x 6.61

Weight in lbs

Service Life

3-5 yrs

3-5 yrs

3-5 yrs

3-5 yrs

Auto Warranty

1 yr free replacement

None

None

None

Price

$175 MSRP

$80-159

$110-195

$85-175

Auto Posts Included / Price

Yes

No/$10-15

No/$10-15

No/$10-15

Shipping Included

Dealer Option

No

No

No

·
Administrator
29,681 Posts
Yes I see that, and its impressive sounding for sure. $50k customs sit in warm garages so don't see low starting temps?

Also, advertisingcranking amps down to 7.2 volts does nothing except hide true power. What I mean is, since it takes longer to get down to 7.2vthe times appear greater. But once your battery hits about 11.5 volts the ecu and sensors won't work, and you can't start your bike anyway. Most or all modernstreet bikes have that issue, so why rate the thing down to 7.2 volts? Even the advertised 10.5 volt rate is suspect for the same reason, although some systems will start depending on sensors and ecu.

I know shouldn't be so negative. I've seen a lot of members get taken advantage of by sales gimmicks. Looking at this website and etc. I keep wonderingabout omissions - what they are not saying. For example whydon't they test and advertise to CCA standards if their battery life expectancy and cranking capabilities are so far above the competitors? They mention 15ah but is that 10-hour rating, 20-hour rating, or what? It makes a huge difference so just saying 15ah doesn't say enough. And being the only folks using PCA and the fact there's no approved mathmatical conversion factor, it just makes me nervous is all.

If you buy this I'd sure appreciate knowing how it goes over the course of a year or so, would you mind very much? If its a good battery as shown by member comments, we would all take a look at it.

Did you say you already confirmed the POS post is on the correct side? Did you measure your own battery box to determine fit?

I wonder if this is a good racing battery (although heavy at 11 pounds) and really meant for use there?

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
There's a lot of interesing info on that link you gave us above Mike. They are using these in several cars to save weight. Someone pointed out though that these small batteries probably don't have the capacity to take care of the drain on the electrical system on new cars with everything that runs 24/7. Should be OK for us as long as the GPS is off:}

My Batteries Plus 260CCA battery is not doing well for me so I'm either going back to the SVR14 or I may try one of these expensive Braille batteries. Peace of mind is very important to me when we are on our long trips. We go to some pretty remote areas so battery issues are not welcome:}:}

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's here and it's in. I bit the bullet and ordered the Braille. I decided what the heck I'll give it a try after I talked about batteries with a good friend of mine that owns an automotive performance shop. He said he knows of a few being used in race applications as well as a few used in street cars used in battery relocation kits on cars driven daily. He hadn't heard anything negative so far about the Brailles

It went in the box relatively easy with the use of a hair dryer to soften up the plastic first. I mostly heated the back of the box, then just pressed the battery down into it. I had to hack the sides off the cable end and roll the cable over half a turn for now (last pic shows before I hacked the edges off). The battery cover and everything fit above the battery fairly well for now, it does need to go down a bit still. I plan to further modify the box later by cutting the bulge on the back off and attaching it back on more flush to make more room and then seal it back on with some RTV to keep water and whatever else out. Hopefully modifying the back side of the box will allow the battery to drop just a tad more.

I'm not sure if my stocker was never that great to begin with but it never turned over near as fast as the Braille does since the day it was new. There is definitely some good power in the Braille, but like I said I don't know if the stock was a dud from the start when I bought the bike new or what. Yeah it was a bit spendy, but not quite what the dealer wants for a stock replacement, but more than say the SVR 14 and the stock sized replacement batteries out there. I figure what the heck, if it lasts longer than what my stock one did I'll be happy enough.

Test card and auto style terminals that came with it.

Top width comparison to stock.

Top length comprison to stock

Height comparison to stock.

Tight fit but it's in there.

Battery cable rolled over 1/2 turn (before I modified the cable end).

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
You went one better than I. That things a monster with 323CCA @ 0F. NO NEED at all to cut on the back of the battery box. Just use a good hair dryer or the 'hot water in a ziplock' trick worked well for me. Not much use for a hair dryer around here:}:} Looks like you sensibly kept the strap around it for easy removal later:}. I went with the B129 which is the same size but a half inch lower. Arrives by the weekend USPS willing:}

I am SO sick and tired of my BatteriesPlus POS rated at 260CCA that hardly turns my 108 over......junk:{ I think it's a YTX14-BS with emphasis on the BS:}:} Probably OK for stock motors but a waste of time for me. Expensive mistake.......

·
Registered
780 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on the Batteries Plus Battery, I was about to go buy one. My bike is internally stock for now (hopefully 110" HC after next winter), and I don't want to have to tack the price of an SVR-14 on top of the price of the big bore kit. I'll think I'll just pick up the SVR.

·
Administrator
29,681 Posts
Respectfully, its not at 0-degrees F. Remember that these folks don't test to CCA standards, they simply invented some conversion math (for use in advertising) that nobody else uses. In the real world of physics strange things happen to chemials and metals when atoms reach near-freezing temperatures and stop jiggling around so much. The fact is, there's no testing done by this manufacturer to prove the CCA within the industry specification and you should expect it to be a LOT less than their advertising chart shows.If you compare the battery size, its weight on a scale (not its acid weight) and its part# nomenclature to other like-type batteries by other manufacturers then you have a reasonable expectation of knowing what the real battery power in the real world might be. I'm very interested in this field-trial on the Braille because somebody is indeed blind - and who knows it could be me!

Changing gears, again very respectfully, the Batteries Plus folkshave a history of selling batteries at higher claimed CCA ratings. Many members over the years have had the same trouble. If you do a web search for other battery brands that weigh the same and have the same part# sequence(nomenclature)you're likely to discover that your B+ batteryis 135cca which in the real world makes sense, you have a monster108ci and from experience we know the 135cca oem battery doesn'tlast long, you need at least 200cca anda good floater/charger to get many years of battery life.

fcwarrior said:
That things a monster with 323CCA @ 0F. NO NEED at all to cut on the back of the battery box.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Arizona Warrior said:
That baby fills-up the space in the box doesn't it!

Maybe try to do what it takes to NOT cut the box you'll be far better off. Since it went in that far I bet you can heat it up with a baggie of very hot water, as others have. Go for it!

Thanks for the baggie idea, I'll give it a try this weekend. I wasn't too keen on hacking the box and trying to get it sealed again. It's in most of the way I'd just like it to go down just a hair more so the tray fits a little better, right now everything fits safely, but I have no room for my few little (literally) things I carry under my seat at the moment. I'd like to talk to one of my friends and see what it would take to fab me up a new box, we'll see how far that gets with him though.At this moment I'm just pumped I can ride and get my oil change done.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Yes I understand that but I wonder what everyone else does. From my experience, the only good battery so far is the SVR14 and perhaps I should have gone with that. The Battery industry that I have seen is absolutely full of half-truths and misleading information. Does anyone test at 0f? I'm only going to go by real world experience and if they work great, if not, you'll know about it!!

These Braille batteries are very expensive but look like they are very well made. I will know straight away if I made the right move with their B129. They use them in track cars so I hope they will be good for the Warrior. We'll see:}:}

Arizona Warrior said:
Respectfully, its not at 0-degrees F. Remember that these folks don't test to CCA standards, they simply invented some conversion math (for use in advertising) that nobody else uses.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I need a new battery. It sounds like the SVR14 would be a good battery. Sorry if this comes across dumb, but I was just catching what was posted here. Is the SVR14 the best battery? Does it fit like the stock one? And where can I get one?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
If your bike is stock.......then the SVR14 is all you will ever need and no, you don't need to modify anything to make it fit other than a little southern engineering on the + terminal. It's an amazing battery.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
I have now installed a very expensive Braille B129 which is a newer but one step down battery from the one posted here. It is very good quality compared to the XtremeVolts and the Batteries Plus batteries. I would say it turns the bike over (108 plus 10.25 pistons) at least as well as the SVR14 and I feel like I can leave the Gerbing turned up until I arrive with no fear of non-starting.

I would conclude:

For stock bikes the SVR14 is amazing

Bikes with high comp etc etc the SVR14 will work and I think the Braille will be great too. They are slightly lower than the SVR so there is a little room for 'storage'.

Hope that helps

PS I don't care what the numbers say....this is real world results.......

1 - 17 of 17 Posts