RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Darn Dish TV often I get a scrambled eggs picture, loose it all if its raining, have to chase the volume on occasion & they have just jacked up the price 40.00+ bux a month.

I have WIFI so I am thinking about dumping the dish & getting Roku any pro / con feedback is welcomed.

Thanks.

·
Registered
211 Posts
We use nothing but roku and fire TV. Does use a lot of data if you watch a lot of TV. Also need a decent internet to stream without buffering. Other than that, we love them.

·
Registered
991 Posts
After years, we finally dropped Direct TV and bought Rokus (and digital antennas so we can pick up local stations) for all our TVs. We've had to change our viewing habits a little but then again, we don't watch very much TV. So far, were pretty ok with it.

·
Administrator
27,870 Posts
When I bought the Nevada house I never got around to putting in cable. Always working or traveling or busy. I put in a couple digital tv antennas. Candidly they are a pita but gets me news and a few local things. The rest I get on my phone. Every few months redbox. Plus go to theaters and make an event of it. Gets me out.

My tv and internet etc in Oregon ran over $200 a month. Instead I have used that $2400/year to upgrade the house and travel a bit. So even less time for tv. Which these days is useless.

In the new year I plan to put in fast internet and a couple streaming services. I'll be around the house more. But cable tv is dead to me.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
i like Roku because their remote control is RF not IR so doesn’t need line of sight to work. Takes veggie’ing out to next level...don’t even have to point remote at tv lol

·
Registered
36 Posts
I cut the cable years ago. We have TCL brand tv's that have built in Roku. One thing I have found interesting with Roku is you can use the app on your phone as a remote. So if you ever lose the remote (in the couch cushions) you can always use the phone as a remote.

Sling or PS Vue are good options if you still want "cable" channels, but don't want to pay AT&T, Dish or Direct TV prices. They can all be streamed through a Roku device.

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
I use Fire TV and with that you can download something called "terrarium tv" which will allow you stream all types of movies as well. We do have Netflix and that is awesome.

·
Premium Member
5,179 Posts
I use Fire TV and with that you can download something called "terrarium tv" which will allow you stream all types of movies as well. We do have Netflix and that is awesome.
Also "Teatv" and "cyberflix"

·
Registered
861 Posts
I've been using Roku devices for years. Just recently got the Roku brand TV and it's really seamless. Works great with my Netflix and Amazon subscriptions. In the past I've tried sling TV which wasn't bad if you wanted to watch TV shows and even tried DirecTV Now which is like DirecTV light over the internet instead of satellite. Drop the last 2 and just kept Netflix and Amazon cuz it suits my needs. I can't stand TV shows now, but do like to watch a movie at night.
The biggest drawback is if you're a sports fan. But as others have said the digital TV antenna works really well once you get it installed. Spend your money on a good one that mounts up in the attic and you'll have great reception the ones you stick to the window by the TV often don't work so good.
You will need a decent internet connection. But I got mine to work fine off DSL.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Update: Went with 2 of the Roku premium units & signed up for the HULU live deal its 45.00 a month + tax, works on both TV's for one money & has all the channels we watch to include the majors ABC, CBS, NBC & FOX + all associated sports channels = don't need an antenna for the majors. Lost the NFL network & red zone but highlights of todays games will air before the game tonight on NBC.

BTW, HULU live includes 50 hours of CLOUD DVR no extra charge. More DVR hours are available for more $$$.

TV picture & sound = considerably better than DISH.

Come Monday its AMF DISH network it really wizzes me off to have to pay for "Shoe Shopping with Jane" & "Seafood with Sam" or whatever yadda, yadda, yadda.

Thanks for the help making a choice & saving me some $$$$.

EDIT: Almost forgot, Boomerang is included = I get Looney Tunes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts