RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my Warrior since June and love it. Was just wondering if anyone has the R1 as their 2nd bike and if and how much they like it. I am considering buying one, but having a hard time justifying having 2 motorcycle payments and 2 motorcycles, but definatly not getting rid of the warrior. If I got a great deal you never know though.
Thanks

·
Registered
872 Posts
I have a Buell S1 as a second bike, used to have a Triumph Speed Triple, Ducati M900, and Buell M2 Cyclone. I love having a 2nd bike. For one thing during the summer when your bike needs to be in the shop or something you still have something to ride...and the other thing is that you get different types of riding out of each. But 9 months out of the year I use my bikes as commuter vechicles as well so I get plenty of use out of them. But I hear you about the double payment. Go with a couple year old, low milage R1. You should find one for around 5k which wouldn't be too bad a payment. You can find some sweet deals if you look. I found a 2001 Buell M2 Cyclone for 5k, and a Ducati M900 1999 for 6k (it had magnesium wheels which is why it was higher).

I believe RivaErik has a Ducati 750 which he is trying to sell for a song...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Cult. I'll maybe look for a used one, the only thing about a used R1 is that you never know how it was treated, so a little leary about that.

·
Registered
717 Posts
quote:Originally posted by gawarrior

I have had my Warrior since June and love it. Was just wondering if anyone has the R1 as their 2nd bike and if and how much they like it. I am considering buying one, but having a hard time justifying having 2 motorcycle payments and 2 motorcycles, but definatly not getting rid of the warrior. If I got a great deal you never know though.
Thanks

talking about the extra payment, check with your insurance company as well. I was/am still thinking about it but when I checked last time, FZ1 would run me about $400 a year where R1 would cost me $1200. It may be different with other companies but R1 is of course in the super sport category where FZ1 is not. I compared the two and don't really see them being whole lot different other than some extra power. I personally like the handle bar position better on FZ1.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I agree...but if you look you can find a nice one I bet. Once the 2003s are out there since they radically changed the coloration you might find a deal.

OR...look for a fixer upper. Plenty of parts on eaby for the R1s.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's true, I guess there is really no rush since I have the best cruiser already, I'll try to be patient.
And Geestar, my girlfriend's dad has a FZ-1, so I have access to that whenever I want. I rode it the other day and that's what got me wanting a R1 too. (more aggresive look). If I need comfort then I can just hop on the warrior.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
When I called a few insurance companies the first think I was asked when I said Yamaha was, It's not the R1? When I asked why I was told they would not insure them. So I would look into that. Geestar made a good point.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I thought that the Honda RC51 handled a bit better than the R1. You may want to check it out. Insurance might be cheaper although I have no idea. Insurance is based on statistics so maybe more R1's have bit the dust than RC51's.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hey Dude don't be afraid of getting an R-1 I had one and did it all up she was pushin 144.7 rwhp and 89 ft lbs of torque I hadn't seen an rc51 that would keep up with it yet or for that matter a 996 duc or a v-max, I've ridden the 954 RR the rc51 the duc996 and I wouldn't take any of them over the R-1 not in any regard you whack the throttle and everybody else just seems to disappear, the R-1 accelerates faster, turns in quicker, stops shorter and is more stable at speed than any bike I've ever ridden and I've ridden them all it's the only bike I've ever owned that once you ease out the clutch you immediately feel like an integral part of the bike, all the other bikes I've ridden make me feel like I'm sitting on a saw horse really not set up right, I guess you'd really have to ride an R-1 to know what I'm talking about.
anyway hope this helps

·
Registered
329 Posts
sorry to be double postin on the same subject but the difference between the r-1 and the fz-1 is that the fz-1 has a drasticly detuned motor smaller carbs milder cams basicly the same motor as the rx-1 sled motor, if you are going to get an R-1 go for the carbureted model stay the **** away from the fuel injected you'll get way more ponies out of a carby model the only drawback is on the really hot days you'll have to downshift to get that baseball bat in the forehead acceleration feeling

·
Premium Member
16,372 Posts
11 more payments and my dreaming of that Beautiful Silver R1 will become reality.

Crazy,
Is it true no more Carbs after this year? I hear they are switching to FI.

Ed

·
Registered
717 Posts
last time I checked, FZ1 has the same 998 cc and 140+ hp, still carburated, R1 is fuel injected now. Anyway I thought for the most part, R1 had a more agrresive look and additional $2K price tag. but like gawarrior said, if you were to get another bike, then R1 would be the better choice.

·
Super Moderator
8,496 Posts
it all depends on the rider, FZ1 R1 or whatever the second bike is, it's definately worthwhile. i got the FJR1300 for it's functionality and ability to be a "hooligan" on demand. the R1 is definately a good choice. as far as how they're treated that's one thing you'll have to consider. most sportbikes get hammered from time to time but if the bike is well built as the R1 is and you maintain the service intervals as most people do when spending 10 grand or more for a bike you pretty much don't need to worry about how it will hold up. in the end there's alway the option of getting the yamaha extended warranty but if cost is your biggest concern this may not be feasible.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Crazy, is there a noticable difference between the carb models and the fuel injected ones as far a hp?
Also, there is not really a rush on this, but does anyone know where and what the best deal might be on one (new or used). Or maybe I will have to be like Darkstar and get one when I pay off my Warrior, actually if I don't have one by then I will definately get one but that is 4.5 more years at the current rate...long time to wait!

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
JPWARRIOR I would have to agree the FJR1300 would be a great 2nd. IMO it give you a great cross country bike if you want that and enough handeling that you will never use it all on the street. I looked at them when I was looking at the Warrior (well looked at the pics they were not out yet). If I had the money thet would def be my choice.

·
Super Moderator
8,496 Posts
It's puttin' me in the poor house though. actually i would have been ok if i didn't spend so much dough on the warrior. i think this bike is also more insurable than the R1. But the R1 is definately more affordable. The FJR is holding its value real well, some people have sold theirs ABOVE retail USED. I know I won't let mine go for less than 11,000.00 and i've got 1500 miles on it now,

·
Premium Member
16,372 Posts
JP,
I am hoping to take a FJR out for a test ride when at Daytona. Maybe I have found an inside connection for a private test ride? I Love the R1, but man all this insurance $$$ is killing me. The FJR is very close second on my list followed by the FZ1.

·
Registered
229 Posts
gawarrior - Being in the industry I am lucky enough to ride many models of bikes and for a sportbike the R1 is definitely one of the models at the top of my list. You really can't go wrong with it, especially the '02 or '03 with fuel injection.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks rivaeric. I have always wanted a sportbike but never had one and when the R1 came out its the one I liked the best. I would like to ride one before I bought one. I guess I could probably do that at Daytona.
Jpwarrior, how is the FJR for 2up riding? I would like to have a bike that my fiance could ride comfortably, since the warrior is not that, but in my heart I really want the R1 so if I do get a second bike it will probably be the R1. If somehow I can justify it, don't know how to do that yet. HELP!!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts