RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and I'm having a right problem finding a new drive belt - can anyone advise? If I order from the USA, I might end up paying extra tax, has anyone had to get one here?

It was cold and snowy today, but I set off on the bike anyhow, cos I didn't fancy the bus and I didn't know how bad it was out there, well, it was like a skating rink and I fell off about 150yds from home after touching the rear brake - lucky I haven't seen any damage at all really apart from the drive belt snapped - strange but true, I don't know if it picked up a stone and that did it or what, but its busted alright - I had to leave the bike a the pub there all day, cos the road was so slippy there was no way to push it back up to my house, lucky it was better tonight, so I got my beast back home! Grr, what a day tho - must have been raving mad to go out on it, (or lazy!) but there you go!

I done 20K miles on my belt, so I'm thinking if it was weak, maybe its a good thing I was only dong 2mph when it went, dunno if the cold makes them brittle - its weird that this happened the way it did - any ideas on who might supply a belt before I ring round 2moro - i hear OEM are overpriced, some say Harley are the boys for this, but isn't every fookin thing over priced in the UK??

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
You could try a Harley dealer and try and get a Gates Polychain belt, 130 tooth 1 1/8" wide. Good luck.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reckon thats where I'll start looking - I see google returned
http://www.megadyne.co.uk
under Gates Polychain, maybe they are cheaper than going thru Harley, well, always out for a bargain!

Looking at my belt, every 5th tooth or so has an indent, so maybe something was stuck in the front or rear pulley, have to check that out in daylight.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
FearLessFreak said:
dunno if the cold makes them brittle

Yo fearless by name and fearless in the ruddy snow!!! - a 650lb ice skate wow - i'm not riding while the salts out on the roads this week - that's an interesting question though - i assume it's the oem that broke which begs the question 'do they go brittle in the cold' as no stress but for a possible stone - never heard that from the guys in realalaskan snow? - anyone have a view? - it would be good to know where to get a replacement in the uk at a decent price.... just sorry you had to be the leader on this one - take extra care now [stable/horse comes to mind] - can't remember now how the guys feel about gates belts? - loads ofposts back in june and july - cheers tomba

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's the run down on Warrior belts in the UK:
I got onto Gates UK, (just a mile or 2 away as it happens) and he had a belt but one was 125 tooth, and another 135, but nothing nearer 130 - this was also what someone in Australia found - seems they are made in USA and exported.

I got onto a Yamaha dealer and was quoted over £300, other threads on here say the Yam belt is way over priced and a "POS"

looked at importing from USA, at $150+delivery and probable customs

Found an online UK harley outfit called http://www.threespires.org- phoned em and he says can send me Gates Polychain belt, 130 tooth 1 1/8" 14mm pitch for £195. incl - ETA 7 days - doesn't seem too bad.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
get a belt from custom chrome europe. they sell polychains under their label :)

i picked it up at the local harley dealer. he ordered that for me (didn't tell him that i need it for a jap bike ;-)

it was around 170 euro. yamaha and harley wanted around 300 euro

·
Registered
940 Posts
suprised no ones give you this link before as they are one of the big site sponsors

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts-Accessories_Motorcycle-Parts-Accessories__Yamaha-Roadstar-Warrior-Drive-Belt-Road-Star-02-09-XV_W0QQitemZ120357643689QQddnZPartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQadiZ2863QQddiZ2811QQadnZMotorcycleQ20PartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item120357643689&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A543|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

check it out mate

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Don't know if it'll work but I've got a spare (new) 132 tooth Gates belt (got it to allow me to ease the 300 rear wheel back). Don't need it since I got the Raider now.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers for the help guys but I already ordered from that 3 Spires site just before my last post - the guy on the phone there seemed to know exactly what I was talking so I just placed my order - should be here about wednesday.

Looking at my belt, you wouldn't think it was badly worn, every 11th tooth has a notch in it, but you wouldn't notice it till a close examination - no frays or anything, so I reckon it must have been combination of factors and the impact of the little crash I had.

I wouldn't want a belt to snap a 70mph, so I'll be keeping an eye on it in future

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Quote: Don't know if it'll work but I've got a spare (new) 132 tooth Gates belt (got it to allow me to ease the 300 rear wheel back).

Don't need it since I got the Raider now.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone know how to get hold of Ian? Any UK guys got his phone number? Or can someone pass on this message......

I need this belt!

Ian if you're out there - can you pm me?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
John,

Ahh! Afraid Mongo's beaten you to it by 3 days. Sorry mate, but if he changes his mind about needing it forthat 300 rear endhe got off you,I'll PM you.

Iain

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
No Probs Iain.......It WAS for him!.

We just figured that if we charge from all directions - you would get the message somehow!

Cheers!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts