RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like many of us will need to stay out of New York.

I know NYC is in some serious debt and has a big deficit, and I strongly suspect that NYC's City council is more interested in generating revenue than in reducing noise. This is RICOCKULOUS! A $1000 fine and "temporary forfeiture" until the fine is paid for the first offense, and a $2500 fine and PERMANENT forfeiture of the machine for the second offense.

http://www.amadirectlink.com/news/2008/NYCBillIssue.asp

New York City Council unfairly targets motorcycle sound

Posted December 17, 2008
Email
Print

The New York City Council is considering a bill that the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) says discriminates against motorcyclists and imposes severe, out-of-line penalties.

The AMA also complained that the measure languished in the Council for two years and then, in a surprise move, was revived just a week before the scheduled final vote in December, allowing little opportunity for public comment. The Council has since pulled the bill off the agenda. It's unknown when a final vote will be scheduled.

The measure would make it illegal for any motorcycle to be on city streets unless it has an exhaust system with a stamp that states it is approved by the federal Environmental Protection Agency. Essentially that means the bike must have a stock exhaust system.

Motorcyclists caught without an EPA-stamped exhaust system would face fines of up to $1,000 for a first offense and temporary forfeiture of the motorcycle until the fine is paid. A second offense would result in a fine of up to $2,500 and permanent forfeiture of the motorcycle.

City officials apparently believe that requiring motorcyclists to have EPA-approved exhaust systems is easier to enforce than trying to prove a motorcycle exceeds the city's vaguely defined 80-decibel sound limit. . . .

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Make the fine the same for a car/truck with a non-stock stereo or exhaustsystem and I'm ok with it.

(Well, I'm not really ok with it but at least it would be semi fair)

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
It could be a interesting legal battle. All the cars with aftermarket exhaust should also be included.Just think aboutthe high end vehicles with non factory exhaust
. And just to make things very interesting, my 2002 warrior came installed with Bub Chambermaids from the factory. How do I know this? I worked for Yamaha Motor Mfg Co in Newnan, GA and the pipes were installed by factory techs and the bike was on display for 18 months before I bought it in the YMMC lobby. My title came from Yamaha and not a dealer as the bike was never delivered to a dealer. I'm sure that they would give me greif, but I made sure that the bill of sale listed the pipes as factory installed.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
"EPA-approve exhaust system"... what's that? Are factory exhausts the only ones that are EPA approved? None of our aftermarket exhausts are EPA approved? I'm sure some of them could be if the exhaust manufacturer went to the EPA -- of course I'm sure that's one of those processes that takes about 4 years to complete.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Any state with annual motorcycle rallies wouldn't dare try this law, loose too much money. Nevada has Laughlin River Run, Las Vegas Bikefest, and something in Reno (forget the name). I think if HD got behind the opposition, this would die quickly.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I know someone who got a ticket on the way home from Americade in Lake George NY. The police were pulling over loud bikes on their way out of town.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
JFC!.... yea i guess im not goin there this summer.. 80 decibles.What exhaust beside the stock IS EPA approved? Whats next, are they gonna look to see if you have nitrous under the tank, if the thing rides too low to the ground, or wait.. if your bike is equipped with a non stock fairing with wild colors and a .. omfg... A RADIO! oh the humanity! well theve sucessfully removed arms from the cops and gave them lethal close range electrocution devices... might as well just shoot me with the stun gun now before i get on my bike....if i lived in new york i would probablygo get an oldgarbage bike, put a set of green bean can glass packsand stamp "EPA APPROVED" on the side of it in yellow letters just outta spite and parade around town at 3000rpm the whole day till some crapb--stard cop takes it away.
rediculous laws.... and proper term for the governing individuals who chose to enforce those laws... http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=asshat

Chris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts