RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, how many of us have joined the AFBC?

I would like to welcome our newest member to the fold Longy05 rode on down to the big smoke with his son on his Fire Blade and pulled into the garage. Coffee all round and wait for the bike to cool down a bit. Was a tad early for a beer, but I did point out that is was December and that it was already late in the year.

Then off we went into the garage to start the operation and the change over. Everything went to plan, in fact a little better than planned. Some three to four hours later and the job was done. All painted and reassembled and off for a lesson in re learning to ride the bike. Those of you that have done the conversion know what I'm talking about
those that don't[:'(] you'll have to wait to find out.

So down to the AFBC, members to date as far as I'm aware are:

Warrior1

Raven

Time

Longy05

Anyone else done the conversion?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Had fun on the way home. It is actually easier to ride, not always looking for 6th gear just listen to the motor.

Only trouble, used to be around 120klm @ 3000rpm now 135klm

Very happy with this mod, not only goes better- looks better too ( thanks Hans)

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Tonym

You'll probably find that it will be closer to 145kph chexk with your son next time your out.

Check this site for a speedo healer www.amcmotorcycles.com.authey are out of stock at the moment but get your name on the list.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Hmmm It sounds entertaining, but need some more info before I might do this.

I have my 240 on the back, will that matter?

Where to get front and rear pulley? and any indication about cost.

Also belt, where, what brand etc etc...... so many questions.

Is this one for warrior1oz??? can you enlight me???

Plus how is your girl coming along???

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spokes: No that don't count here

Andre: a Yamaha Roadstar 1600 front pulley, 33 tooth, 1 1/2" wide. from Yamaha dealer

It won't matter about the 240, belt will still fit.

Rear pulley from a HD 65 tooth 1 1/2" wide and 14mm pitch. Ebay

Need some grinding done from housing for front cog and on swing arm to give the newcog some clearance.

Gates belt, 128 tooth 14mm pitch X 1 1/2"

Did Longy's in about 4-5 hours was able to do his for $650 I think. depends on price of rear pulley.

Girl is coming along slowly, still waiting for some engine parts to come in and then the rebuild. Not much I can do until the engine is done and in the frame.

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts
I'm a member of the SoCal Fat Belt Fat TireClub (SCFBFTC)
and theONLY modification required for the 1-1/2" widebelt using the Road* 33T frt pulley is to machine 1/8" off the inner flange as shown here: http://rswarrior.com/forums/p/28679/391766.aspx#391766

This is a bolt on job and doesn't require any modification to the middle shaft housing. The only grinding req'd is the slight interference at the frt weld bead for the lower belt guard tabto clear the outside edge of the 70T Road* pulley. That's it!

You'll also want to remove the 2-white UHMW rollers behind the frt pulley cover as they will rub the belt with the larger frt 33Tpulley. You can also use the Road* 70T rear pulley. Both these parts are used on the '99-03' 1600 Roadstar model and are available on Ebay from time to time.

33T Road* Pulley w/inside flange removed and .125" stock removal to clear case

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Thanx Alan,

the 33ft and 70rear pulley, what kind of difference does this make in regards to the speedo?

And what type of belt is used?

Like warrior1oz said that the 33ft 65rear alters the speedo indication quit a bit, although this makes the girl ride a bit smoother (loose some torque though)

the stock is a 35ft to 70rear giving a 2.393 ratio (have to work out how they get this calc though, my first impression is a ratio of 2??

Thanks both, highly appreciated

Dutch..

·
Registered
830 Posts
Flyingdutchman said:
Thanx Alan,

the 33ft and 70rear pulley, what kind of difference does this make in regards to the speedo?

Like warrior1oz said that the 33ft 65rear alters the speedo indication quit a bit, although this makes the girl ride a bit smoother (loose some torque though)

the stock is a 35ft to 70rear giving a 2.393 ratio (have to work out how they get this calc though, my first impression is a ratio of 2??

Dutch..

Andre - don't need matt black , but sure would like your tank haha

anyway.... stock is 32t frt and 70t rear ......... I went 33t frt and 65t x (1.5" wide belt) rear with very little loss in torque.My bike does lower rpms at the same speed - speedo should be closer to true ( did it myself total cost of $350 aussie - but as Han's saidcost jumps depending on the type of rear pulley you choose - I went to the wreckers for my front pulley $50) cost would jump now 'cause of the exchange rate if ordering belts/pullies from OS)

Coutesy to Alan H's spread sheet data :

70T Rear 31T Front 2.258 Ratio -3.23%
70T Rear 32T Front 2.188 Ratio 0.00% Stock
70T Rear 33T Road* 2.121 Ratio 3.03% Difference My Bike
65T Rear 32T Front 2.031 Ratio 7.14% Difference w/stock frt pulley
65T Rear 33T Road* 1.970 Ratio 9.96% Difference

if you want torque you go 31t frt and 70t rear ( lower top end )

if you want economy/comfort you go 33t frt ant 65t rear ( bike may run out of puff at top end - may need turbo to compesate ...only joking haha )

BTW Han's it's me that is part of the wide belt club .... didn't think ****** did that mod ( but then again could be wrong )

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts
Theoretical estimated speed, rpm & percentage difference using the stock components as a Bench Mark

Stock Warrior 5th Gear 0.80 and 200/50R17 Bridgestone Battlax rear tire

30T & 70T Stock Pulleys

80.00 mph (128.8 kph) = 3166.8 rpm

0.0% Change

33T & 70T pulleys

80.00 mph (128.8 kph) = 3070.8 rpm

82.50 mph (132.8 kph) = 3166.8 rpm

3.03%

32T & 65T pulleys

80.00 mph (128.8 kph) = 2940.6 rpm

86.15 mph (138.6 kph) = 3166.8 rpm

7.14%

33T & 65T pulleys

80.00 mph (128.8 kph) = 2851.5 rpm

88.85 mph (143.0 kph) = 3166.8 rpm

9.96%

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts
Flyingdutchman said:
Thanx Alan,

[*]Chk my previous response[/list]

[*]You can use the stock 1-1/8" x 130T belt with the 33T Road* frt pulley & stock rear 70T
[/list]

[*]There is no visual change between the Tach &Speedobecause these changes are being made downstream of the speed sensor that reads the trani output shaft. You'll need aGPS or riding buddy with accurate instruments![/list]

[*]
The stock frt pulleyis 32Tand not 35
[*]
The final reduction ratio is described in Penzoil's response. See the enclosed url![/list]

Dutch..
This response by Penzoil might be of interest to you: Top speed: http://rswarrior.com/forums/p/5449/88375.aspx#88375

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Thanx Alan,

Now just try to acquire the parts here, second
hurdle.........

But this link helped me out a lot with the calc's

Appreciated...

Dutch

1 - 13 of 13 Posts