RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my 2006 Warrior now has 18,000 miles on the clock and is running fine. Two questions:
A. However after a good run when she is hot I hear all kinds of noises when she is idling that I don't hear when idling after I start her up from cold. So maybe it's normal but it has me thinking if it could be the lifters maybe. What do worn lifters sound like and do worn lifters make a sound when idling with a hot or cold engine? and would there be any performance symptoms at all?
B.What is the expected mileage on average where lifters will need to be replaced? I see some on the forum say they normally need replacing by 25,000 miles but I also see other reports here where the lifters were replaced at 100,000 miles and another at 75,000 miles.

Thanks for your much appreciated help
Regards
Fred

·
Administrator
28,404 Posts
Lifters like good oil change schedules and can last over 100,000 miles. Lots of things have an effect.

Being hydraulic helps. Some noise is normal. If you hear an intermittent tap-tap-tap or a rattle then its time to adjust and possibly swap for new.

Great lifters for this beast are Melling #JB-2011 Hydraulic Lifters (I got my spares at autozone). Props to Churchkey.

In your case, you might check your oil level (see the special Yamaha video in The Welcome Mat forum). You might drain a pint from the front drain and add a pint of Marvel Mystery Oil and ride so its real hot then change oil/filter while its still hot. That will clear the lifters nicely in a safe manner.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lifters like good oil change schedules and can last over 100,000 miles. Lots of things have an effect.

Being hydraulic helps. Some noise is normal. If you hear an intermittent tap-tap-tap or a rattle then its time to adjust and possibly swap for new.

Great lifters for this beast are Melling #JB-2011 Hydraulic Lifters (I got my spares at autozone). Props to Churchkey.

In your case, you might check your oil level (see the special Yamaha video in The Welcome Mat forum). You might drain a pint from the front drain and add a pint of Marvel Mystery Oil and ride so its real hot then change oil/filter while its still hot. That will clear the lifters nicely in a safe manner.
Thanks Arizona...I do change my oil every 3,000 miles...semi synth 10w40. Hard for me to tell if hat Im hearing is good or bad or normal. Like I said it sounds more noisy when hot...Is that a symptom? Should the engine sound the same whether cold or hot?
Marvel Mystery Oil is not available in SA

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I would try 20/50 Full Synthetic oil for a while, and see how that goes..

Sent from my SM-A102U1 using Tapatalk
Wouldn't that be too thick especially in colder weather thus causing a less then optimal flow of oil through the engine? And also when starting from cold wouldn't the thicker oil take longer to optimally coat all the moving parts and bearings? If I do decide to go for 20W50 would Castrol Magnatec 20W50 semi synthetic be fine to use? It's actually for cars but has no additives that would cause clutch slip...I run my Hyundai Getz on it.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
I run it year round here...
I've tried a different lighter weight oil
And I came across what u Described
Switch back, and all good since....

Sent from my SM-A102U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts