RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am replacing my rear tire today and thought I would dissect a piece to see just how thick it was.

200x50ZR17 at 6000 miles.

The thickness at the center of the tire is .1 inch above the threads, overall thickness is .19 inches

The thickness at the outside (1.4 inches from the outside edge of the tire) measures .4 inches

How many more miles do you think this tire could have gone? Granted the traction of the tire was pretty well gone as it is through the wear bars (about 300-400 miles after wear bars were gone).....

This is the thinnest section (Center)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Interesting. I wonder if there is an industry standard or regulations tire manufacturers must follow. I would assume so by DOT. It would be cool to see others also. Good post. I would think you could have got several hundred more miles before eating through it,although you definatly wouldn't want to.

·
Registered
581 Posts
haha...excellent thinking...wish i'd have thought of doing that...what else can we cut in half!!?:D
il try and cut you in half at next warrior meet , im a practising magician :eek: i cut a dunlop qualifier in half once and there was half that amount of rubber , it was a scary thought how little was keeping bike on road

·
Banned
1,864 Posts
Traction gone, wear bars ggone, tire is gone.

Having said that I usually replace a bike tire at the first sign of cord, although that is not a good practice.

Like you and others, when the tire starts to break away a bit in turns under acceleration or the front fails to bite, turn in and track like as always in a turn this is a sign to shop for new tires.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
il try and cut you in half at next warrior meet , im a practising magician :eek: i cut a dunlop qualifier in half once and there was half that amount of rubber , it was a scary thought how little was keeping bike on road
cutting the distance from wick to the south in half would mean we'd get to see all those scars sooner:p

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I am replacing my rear tire today and thought I would dissect a piece to see just how thick it was.
Good idea Scawein, it gives us an idea how far to let the tread go down. I usually change a tyre before a long journey if the tyres have been on a while. I now have 3 good rear tyres and 2 good fronts. :D

I can't get to grips with your measurement sizes of rubber left :eek:

What is ??

.1"
.19"
1.4"
.4"

Is the fraction divided into 100 or 20 ? I haven't used this type of measuring since the early seventies :eek:

Gav.

·
Premium Member
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good idea Scawein, it gives us an idea how far to let the tread go down. I usually change a tyre before a long journey if the tyres have been on a while. I now have 3 good rear tyres and 2 good fronts. :D

I can't get to grips with your measurement sizes of rubber left :eek:

What is ??

.1"
.19"
1.4"
.4"

Is the fraction divided into 100 or 20 ? I haven't used this type of measuring since the early seventies :eek:

Gav.
Is this a little clearer?

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Is this a little clearer?
:cool:

Yes, a little, thanks Scott.

What size is .1 of an inch ? I'll have a guess at 3mm ? All these imperial sizes are just numbers in my head..Lol
I been stuck before with 11/32" and 17/64", I just can't imagine these sizes ??

Gav.

·
Premium Member
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:cool:

Yes, a little, thanks Scott.

What size is .1 of an inch ? I'll have a guess at 3mm ? All these imperial sizes are just numbers in my head..Lol
I been stuck before with 11/32" and 17/64", I just can't imagine these sizes ??

Gav.
OK...brainfart on my part....

.1094 inches = 2.97mm
.1969 inches = 5.00mm
.4 inches = 10.3188mm
1.4 inches = 35.588mm

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
OK...brainfart on my part....

.1094 inches = 2.97mm
.1969 inches = 5.00mm
.4 inches = 10.3188mm
1.4 inches = 35.588mm
Thanks Scott, probably my fault for not explaining properly :confused:
Do you understand what I mean about imperial sizes though ? After working on mostly Jap bikes for all these years, I got used to the metric system. It's strange, I know a gallon or quart better than litres, and pounds are easier than kilos for me ???? weird. :eek:

Gav.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Good rule of thumb Gav.

an inch is 25.6mm

so .10" = 1/10 of an inch, or about 2.5mm.

Breaking down the fractions into metric is just waaaaayyy too hard!! ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks for the pics... I have always been chicken about wearing a tire too long and change them when the wear bars are first even with the tread. These pics have convinced me not to ever worry about leaving "money on the table" by changing them too soon. We all have our comfort levels I guess.

This may be a bit off topic to the thread, but since Gav brought up Imperial measurements .... How did we get stuck with them since even "The Empire" ditched them in favor of metric??

·
Super Moderator
27,703 Posts
This is a great topic, it highlights a couple things and makes us think (as painful as that can be hehe).

Since the Avon Storms have their harder material in the middle, in a dry season I wonder if that tire might have gone more than just a couple hundred more miles. There's still cornering tread left after all!

This conversation encouraged me to ask why the differences exist between the USA and the UK Imperial measurement systems. I have to watch myself all the time and still I know sometimes things are misled. Here's a fun explanation I stumbled across:

Imperial and USA Measurement Systems

·
Registered
56 Posts
Nice article arizonawarrior, definitely cleared up a few misconceptions I had regarding the two systems. I still advocate the metric system though, after living in a several countries other than our own. Still don't know what the hangup is here, it actually takes only about three days to adjust to kilos, meters, etc., in everyday use. jmho.

On the original subject, it seems I can probably push the wear of my tires past the first point the wear bar is even with the tread with maybe more confidence than I have had?

·
Super Moderator
27,703 Posts
This forum has plenty of guys who have ridden well into the threads on various rear tires in good weather. The front tire imo is more serious and needs more tread even going straight in good weather.

Don't get me wrong. Lots of us save our pennies in advance knowing we will need to dip into the tire fund sooner or later. The Avon Storms cost more but wear longer, so in the end I feel like I'm getting a better tire for about the same price.

[added this link so I can jump between these two conversations}: http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/13-technical-discussion/173513-warrior-rear-tire-technical-detail.html

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Interesting thread Scott, thanks.

I'm a subscriber to the "never mess with the front tyre" rule ha ha !
Not sure how the law stands in the US, but we could never (legally) get through the wear indicators.

Anybody who is crazy enough to ride with canvas or wire showing would get strung up by their bits if caught by the police over here ! :eek:

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
not really on purpose, but i always seem to have cords showing, bad way to go, by the time i get around to ordering a new tire.{rear} i'm more careful about the front. you could have gotten a few hundred more miles easily. our "hangup" is ,we're americans. i don't care if the rest of the universe goes metric. why should the best country in the world follow everyone behind us?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts