RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone mounted the new AV92 260 tire on a 9" rim and a stock fender? I know the Avon 250 will fit but wondering how much wider the 260 is installed. I am currently running a Metz 260 with my 9" inch kosman rim and a kylenv swingarm. My fender is stock so not much extra clearance. Trying to choose between the 250 Cobra and the 260 Cobra.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
I was lucky n found a 250 Cobra..
Found it on 2Wheel...
From what I could search all I could fine was the new Chrome version.......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
I've been waiting on the 280 cobra chrome for a while now. They say maybe September. The 260 should look good on the 9" rim. Can't wait to get mine.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
I've been wanting to go with the 260 tire but dont feel like messing with the fender incase it rubs.

·
Premium Member
2,715 Posts
I've been wanting to go with the 260 tire but dont feel like messing with the fender incase it rubs.

From what I've seen the 250 is direct fit but tight. 260 Will take fender work. I'd stay with the 250.

·
Administrator
28,376 Posts
"A 260" fits the rear fender on the right wheel width but it's good to check the specific tire manufacturer's website for exact actual width because Avon tires tend to be a hint wider than other brands in the same width category. That's why I think sometimes someone does "a 260" and the stock fender strut bolts interfere. While on the manufacturer's website you can also check the rim width recommendations for each individual tire in order to maintain good tread shape on the road.

In this case the Avon Cobra Chrome 260 is 260mm and likes the 9-inch rim, and the 250 is 251mm wide and also likes the 9-inch rim.

I seem to recall the old Metzler ME880xl in 260 would most often fit the Warrior rear fender but need to verify, will try to get time soon. Or maybe Kyle or other members with the mod will chime-in. I'm no longer finding the tire specs on-line for that tire so will find our old tire specs thread to get it.

The modern Metzler is model 888 in 260/40 VR 18 M/C (84V) TL but again no width spec found on their website.

Here is the old and outdated thread covering rear tires:
https://www.rswarrior.com/forums/13-technical-discussion/173513-warrior-rear-tire-technical-detail.html

There is also a front tire thread with similar title.

The reason for posting it is because the old Metz880 in 260 was often used by all the swingarm builders back in that time (2011) to fit under the stock rear render, so it might help make this decision.

But I would also really like to hear KyleNV's knowledge on this because he has so much experience.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have had both the old 880 Metz and the new 888 Metz in 260, and they both work with the stock fender. I have a bit of rubbing on the tire but that's because I have the bike lowered via adjustable links and I like the lowered look even if it results in a bit of (cosmetic) chafing on the outside of the tire (when I bottom out).

As long as the new Avon 260 is comparable to the Metz 260, it should work. I may just pull the trigger and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
8,761 Posts
I don't know the spec's on the Cobra 260 but my hands-on with the Avon Cobra 240/40R18 on the Kosman 18 x 8 1/2 square edge weld-up wheel is that it is narrower than both the Metzeler ME880 & Pirelli Diablo tires.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did pull the trigger on the Avon Cobra Chrome AV92 260/40VR18. Happy to report it fits well on a 9" wheel and fits under the stock fender with no rubbing, (my bike is lowered about a 1.5" via adjustable links). Great handling tire. Thought I would let people know if the question comes up.

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
I've got the 280 Avon Cobra Chrome finally installed on my bike. Great looking tire and fit good. One problem i had was that the tire was a, you know what, to get it to seat on my rim. Finally had to air it up to about 90 lbs of air plus a crap load of soapy dish washing liquid before it popped and seated on the rim, but i got it.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
Hey Zimpod post some pics of the new Avon Chrome 260 tire mounted...
Would like to see how it fits n looks

·
Registered
374 Posts
Cobra Chrome is wider than ME880. I have no sharp mesurements even for 240mm of tire which I use on 8" rim. But I have interesting history: I've used Pirelli Diablo 240/40R18, it was the widest tire in my practice and on my rim. It's wideness I've mesured by myself as 200mm on outside part. I've had to make a modification of swingarm to even install the rim with this tire. Manufactor who made my rim told me that I need to grind off about 4-5mm on each side of swingarm. And I did so. But it was not enough. That is because the manufactor has very liked ME880 and his practice based only around this product. So I needed to make a trim of swingarm again and then everithing was good. Then I used Metzeler ME880 240/40R18. It was narrower than previous tire. It just little touched the swingarm. On Pirelli's tire I've grinded on one side about 5mm of wideness by swingarm on ride. It was funny that I did not know why I smell the hot rubber all time))) I've did the last trimming of swingarm. So, ME880 less wideness than Pirelli Diablo. After this I used Dunlop Elite E3. It was the narrowest tire in my practice. The outside dimmension of it did not even riached the rim outside dimmension. Of caurse with this tire I did not need to do anything with swingarm at all! And then was Avon Cobra. Bike cuted one side of tire antennae and was no contact with swingarm.

And then... My friend has a bike (07 warrior) with rear rim from......HD Rocker)))) Don't ask me how it can be, it is loooong history. But. I've measured his rim and it was 210mm by outside. He used the ME880 240/40R18, Shinko 005 240/40R18, Dunlope Elite E3 240/40R18 and everything was good, he did not even heared about swingarm modification. Then I've gived to him my first tire of Avon Cobra. He tryed to install the rim and understood that modification time of swingarm is begane))) He did it and then the rear wheel was instaled without any problem. Then I mesured the wideness of our tires to compare. Repeat, my rim is 200mm of wideness, his rim 210mm. But the tire on my rim is 250mm and on his rim is 245. Hmmmm??? In my memory I mesured the ME880 on my rim and it was 243mm. So on his rim ME880 could be 238mm. Why not?

So, you need to know that Avon Cobra is wider than ME880. And the mesurement in a shop will give you info only in compare. But the final value wideness can only be obtained on your rim.

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
Hey Gilly,

i've been notified that DennisKirk already has 280 Avon up for sale. Check'em out
Yeah, there showing up at the tire stores finally. I got my 280 Avon Cobra Chrome several days ago at 2 Wheel parts supply for $314. So far i am liking this tire better than the 880 metzler. The tire is tighter on the rim than the metzler. I like to have never got the tire to seat on the rim, but my indy guy shot the air to it on his machine and it finally popped on. It's a harder rubber tire so it should last longer than the metzler. So far i will buy this tire again.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I drove Metzeller ME880 till the cord for 14500km. Now I have Avon Cobra, at the moment the mileage on it is 26000km and the cord is still far away :rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts