RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems the Avon Storm is the choice for me but my local parts guy said it's a "sport touring tire", not a "sport cruiser" tire. Avon's website show the Storm to be the only tire that fits the stock set up. The parts guy likes Metzler i guess and prefer's them though most everyone on here says they were faster because the 210 size. WHAT GIVES?

I wanna buy the Avon's but only if they're going to give way more life then the stock Bridgestone or Dunlops (5k miles). I live in Florida with NO twisties and dont do ANY burnouts but drive it good and fast once in a while, are the Avon Storms the best fit although our Warriors are a heavier bike then the "sport touring" bikes the Storms are made for?

THANKS!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks but that's overkill info. please someone else give more input. pretty much will they last more then the cheaper bridgestone OEM style tires and truely 8-12k miles as some state if not ridden hard with no burn outs?

thanks again

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
I have Avons on both tires and can give you some good input. My last tire was an Avon Azaro (Storm replaced it) and it only lasted 11k
before the thing got too slick to ride. My stock Dunlop lasted 4k and peeled the center out fo it. I didn't do any burnout, but have slid cold tires giving to much trottle. Storm rides good, wears good and looks good, but it will take a couple of minutes to warm up. One thing to help with the milage and handling is to keep the tire pressure around 40psi front and rear. The Storm is a sport touring tire but you will most likely never get your warrior to 150 mph unless you are going off a cliff (not likely in FL). Tire does well in the rain, but I can't comment on sugar sand as GA only has red clay. It has a thick center tread (think goldwing size bike) so it should be good for the flat roads in FL. Just be prepared to ride with the tire if you get one because it will be on your bike for a while.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I just put 8,000 on my rear Avon Storm. It's not completely gone in the center, but far enough. There is a faint hint of the tread left. I could probably get another 1-2K out of it, if I had to.

They handle great, look great, and last long. Best bang for the buck, that I know of.

I used to ride Metzeler's. I like the Storms more.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the help guys. I'm leaning toward the Avon Storms. I mentioned the fact they're intended for "sport touring" bikes because the sport touring bikes are alot lighter then our "sport cruiser" warrior, my dealer brought to mind. Wasnt a high speed factor, just saying that being made for lighter bikes means softer tread since they sport touring bike weighs less, hence the softer tread may be eated up faster on a heavier bike then they're intended for. I'm not sure the dealer know exactly what he's talking about cause he says he puts Avon Venom's on warriors once in a while but not storms, when venoms don't even come in the stock warrior size and are catagorized as "high performance" tires.

Anyone that previously ran Metzlers only got 4-5k out of them? and were those m880's or m3's, etc?

thanks again

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
My last Metzeler lasted me 23 days !! (ME 880-210) I had a previous one that lasted me 3175 miles (no burnouts)

At 250 lbs (rider weight) and aggressive riding (no burnouts ) I got about 8000 miles or a little better on the Avons ..if I remember correctly.

With burnouts... mileage tends to go downhill...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool, thanks for the input. Yeah I'm 240lbs myself, and don't do any burnouts. ANYONE advise anything better then the Avon Storms for mileage one last time before I pull the trigger?

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
srt425c said:
....ANYONE advise anything better then the Avon Storms for mileage one last time before I pull the trigger?

Stock Dunlops were bare by 4,800 miles. Avon Azaros did over 10,000 miles with tread left. I am currently running Avon Storms. They handle very well both wet and dry, give good ride comfort and are showing no signs of wear at about 3,500 miles.

They are currently the best tyre option for the Warrior with standard size wheels period.

·
Registered
492 Posts
im in florida.... i dont see the reason to have a very soft compound tire in my warrior... i only have soft compound in my R6 and that is because i bring that bike to the track. But to ride around in the warrior, avon's are the best... they will last a lot more... i just bought a set of av 55 and av 56 for a bit less than $350 shipped at bikebandit a couple days ago.

my warrior at 8600 came with dunlops... i can see they had change the tires at least once, so... i will say that the dunlops last 4k or so.... if the avons will last 11k.... i will be a really happy guy

i can only get like 4-5k in my bt016 in the r6...

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
I have tried the

Shinko

Metzler

Tomohawk (Retread)

Dunlop

Bridgestone

Avon

I like the handling better from the Meztler but they don't make a 200 so you end up with the 190

Durability for me goes hands down to the Avon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
k, pulling the trigger on the Avon Storms. Thanks everyone. How do you close a forum ad for no more reply's?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Dunlops lasted about 4,000 miles. bridgestones bt20 on my last change. rear tire has lasted 9,000 miles so far and might get 1-2 more. front tire lasted about 3,00 miles and stared getting rice size cracks. Now I'm running the avon storm st. So far it has about 3,500 miles on it and looks good. Should I be running with 36 psi or 40psi with the Avons.

Thanks for the Info.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you have pulled the trigger you wont be unhappy at all. I have had the Avon Storms on my last three bikes. 2005 FZ-1, 2005 FJR 1300 and 2003 Mean Streak. Loved it on all 3 bikes. The FJR weighs in around the same weight as the Warrior, and the wear on the rear tire was really good. I think I had put 5000 miles on it before I got rid of the bike, and the tire easily had another 5000 or more left. For a street tire, it really made my bikes ride smoother, and turn in much more evenly. If there is one fly in the ointment, try to find a pair that hasnt been sitting on a self for more than a few months. The Avons, on a shelf tend to get a little bit of a "flat spot" and will take about 150 to 300 miles to ride it out....

Sean

1 - 15 of 15 Posts