RS Warrior Forum banner

Back from recall-sludge in motor

725 views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Arthur 
#1 ·
I picked up my bike on saturday after having the recall done and some OE hc pistons installed.They did a great job [so far] with the work no scratches or damage.They even installed my new cam and decompression covers for free.The only thing was the mechanic asked me if I changed my oil lately.I replyed that I have always changed it at 4000-5000kms.He said there was a lot of sludge in the bottom of the engine.Looked like it was old oil that hadnt been changed for quite awhile.I had been using the yamalube all last summer and he was surprised to hear that.He said it was the first bike he has seen with sludge in it.It didnt make me feel real good about using the yamalube.I guess I will be switching back to the amsoil after getting it broke in again.
Any ideas why there would be sludge??

#6 ·
Short trips that don't let the oil get good and hot can cause it.

The oil need to be hot enough to boil off the moisture that is created when the cold engine starts to warm up.

Short trips are hard on any internal combustion engine.
5qts. of oil in our Warrior is alot. In the summer months it will heat a lot quicker, but in the cool months it takes a long time to warm enough to get rid of the moisture.

And like was said above, drain when the oil is hot!

#8 ·
There is a lot to be said about research of lubrication. Have you ever heard anyone say that the motor sluded up with synthetic oil? Maybe,maybe not. It is all about film strenght at different temp. Synthetic runs cooler and cleaner. Synthetic also reduces start up friction compared to dino oil. Run what makes you feel comfortable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.