RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas,hoping someone can shed some light on a problem i have. my bike has developed a backfire through the throtle bodies,generaly when its cold but has done it a few times hot aswell. I have checked for loose bolts,clamps and hoses, the clamps that holds the rubber sleve between the trottle bodies and the intake was loose on both, i tightened them up ,but it did not fix the problem. Have done comp/test 90ft/lb thought this was low but was told this was ok because of the decompression solenoid,also replaced the exhaust gaskets

my bike has the following mods. pc3,ais block off,coil relocation, k&n 1290 air filters and custom 2 inch pipes(like street sweepers) no baffels. don't have custom map yet, runs a bit rich with the latest map i've installed.

I also have noticed the crankcase vent chuffing , hope iam not up for new rings allready.I don't think the two problems are related but iam no mechanic.anyone got any ideas?thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
custom map should solve the problem after checking the plugs of course.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah,you could be onto something with the map, i put new plugs,in just before x-mas,checked them the other day when i did the comp/test and they were blacker than normal,usually runs a light browny colour. its booked in for a dyno run on the 6th hope a custom map helps.

Does anyone's crank case vent make that chuffing noise?

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Yes To the chuffing noise (best description I've heard for that sound also). Mine does it mainly (or most noticeably) on startup. Almost seems like you are hearing the mechanical chafings with minimal oil until the oil pressure and circulation comes up to par. It is noticeable with an aftermarket air kit because you are not funnelling the sound back into an enclosed airbox.

My first Warrior had 59,000 miles on it when I sold it and the new guy is happy with it....no problems ..so I don't think it is an issue.. new bike does it also.. I can't remember if it is to same level ...winter here so haven't been hearing it enough lately.

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
My experience witht the "chuffing" or "coughing" as put by CHURCHKEY puts if was TOO MUCH FUEL.

I have runs several maps including a custom map when I 1st got the bike. Today I'm running a modified version of amospro's map and it ROCKS!

Another tip from CHURCHKEY was to set the (hi-med-lo) range settings on the pc3 (via the 3 buttons on the serial pc3) to baseline at 0, then add or remove fuel based on the outside temperature, ie, when it's cold run a little lean, and when its hot run a little rich. Good advice Woody!

The coughing went away for me when I ran the right map for the equipment on the bike.

One consideration;

You can remove fuel (a little at a time) across the entire rpm/throttle range by way of the "cylinder trim function" on your pc3. If you search the forum you'll see posts on how much people have added or removed in order to find that sweet spot. Most folks suggest removing or adding in1-2 point increments and then road testing along with checking the plugs. Some folksdo 1 cylinder, while others do both at the same time. Personaly I'd do both and then road test. If she runs smooth with no coughing then you tackled that symptom. Then be sure you check the plugs. Add or remove in 1 point increments until you attain that tanish/brown color.

Another thought? have you done the "perfect install" for the pc3? If not you should read this;

http://rswarrior.com/forums/t/18636.aspx?PageIndex=18

You might consider this before you get it dyno'd and remapped do to the readings you get when the pc3 is installed according to the Power Commanders installation instructions. Seems the digital ground and the regular ground when tied together causes some "whacky readings" ont he pc3. Like for example when you try to set your throttle % to 0 at idle, it tends to BOUNCE all over the place. Just a thought is all. Don't panic thinking there's all kinds of issues here. Just suggestions for considerations. I think you'll find those who have the custom maps would agree that when combined with the "perfect install" on the pc3 will get you better results.

Good luck, hope this is helpful information.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
gchalifo said:
My experience witht the "chuffing" or "coughing" as put by CHURCHKEY puts if was TOO MUCH FUEL.

I have runs several maps including a custom map when I 1st got the bike. Today I'm running a modified version of amospro's map and it ROCKS!

Another tip from CHURCHKEY was to set the (hi-med-lo) range settings on the pc3 (via the 3 buttons on the serial pc3) to baseline at 0, then add or remove fuel based on the outside temperature, ie, when it's cold run a little lean, and when its hot run a little rich. Good advice Woody!

The coughing went away for me when I ran the right map for the equipment on the bike.

One consideration;

You can remove fuel (a little at a time) across the entire rpm/throttle range by way of the "cylinder trim function" on your pc3. If you search the forum you'll see posts on how much people have added or removed in order to find that sweet spot. Most folks suggest removing or adding in1-2 point increments and then road testing along with checking the plugs. Some folksdo 1 cylinder, while others do both at the same time. Personaly I'd do both and then road test. If she runs smooth with no coughing then you tackled that symptom. Then be sure you check the plugs. Add or remove in 1 point increments until you attain that tanish/brown color.

Another thought? have you done the "perfect install" for the pc3? If not you should read this;

http://rswarrior.com/forums/t/18636.aspx?PageIndex=18

You might consider this before you get it dyno'd and remapped do to the readings you get when the pc3 is installed according to the Power Commanders installation instructions. Seems the digital ground and the regular ground when tied together causes some "whacky readings" ont he pc3. Like for example when you try to set your throttle % to 0 at idle, it tends to BOUNCE all over the place. Just a thought is all. Don't panic thinking there's all kinds of issues here. Just suggestions for considerations. I think you'll find those who have the custom maps would agree that when combined with the "perfect install" on the pc3 will get you better results.

Good luck, hope this is helpful information.
Hi Gary... I think we are talking about the chuffing and coughing (or backfire) as being two different things ... the "chuffing" being a mechanical sound coming through the crank vent hose (moreso on startup in my case) and the coughing being a result of how the bike is tuned.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers, for that info, i thought my rings were worn and it was putting pressure into the bottom end. I have done the "perfect install" on the PC3, but usualy just pick a map that i consider close to my set up(from the PC site) its booked in for a dyno run and custom map, hopefully that solves my issues.I'll post the results and the map if i can work out how to. Thanks to all for your help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts