RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got to go for my first ride on Sunday and everything ran great, other than the backfire problem when I de-accelerated. I have the PC on it.. I bought my bike from a friend in Chicago and since I live in Montana, could it be running a little rich?[?] Your feedback and suggestions are welcome as always.[/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

·
Registered
512 Posts
You are probably refering to the popping sound, that is common and you will not get rid of all of it, there are a few things you can do so that it want do it as much. You can do the AIS block which may or may not help, and depending on what mods you have a custom map be in store for you also.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
The Warrior will pop on decel. Popping indicates a lean condition. However, the is a fuel injected bike and the ECU compensates for the changes in air/fuel mixture so you could ride it from one coast to another and the it will not go lean or rich unless the PCIII was set that way. I've had 2 custom maps and still get some popping. I run the Propipe which seems to be prone to that though. If the popping is continuous you probably need to adjust the map or get it dyno'd for a custom map.

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Let me be the first - Don't decelerate! [8D]

The popping sound is trait of the Warrior. I see you already have your AIS blocked, that lessens the tendency somewhat. When I first got my Warrior, it always did it. Then as time went on the tendency went away, probably, in part because, I got used to it. Additionally, I didn't close the throttle as abruptly, as I did at first. (Hence the ‘Don't decelerate' comment.)

Now I equate it to the Warrior version of a wolf's howl. Think of your self waiting for a bunch of Warrior buddies, to go on a ride. You are waiting for them, and as they decelerate off the highway, their Warriors are popping. That is the sound of the Warriors saying, ‘HERE WE COME!!!!!'[/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whew.. I am glad that you guys set me straight on this... really! Now, let me tell you about the little old blue hair that was driving her Buick next to me when I let off the throttle! I felt bad only for about a minute when I noticed she must have been to Costco and had a new box of Depends in her back seat! I just hope they were industrial strength or she didn't frequent Taco Bell that often![/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

-Sub

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
quote:Originally posted by The_Bear

Let me be the first - Don't decelerate! [8D]

Man, how did I miss that?[}/emoticons/emotion-1.gif]

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
It depends on how much it pop's. Every now in then is ok. Try not to keep the throttle open at all during decel, Just a fraction and it will pop at will. Check the plugs and if they are white it may be lean and the fuel map may need adjustment.

·
Registered
470 Posts
My '02 does not pop on decel except when cold and therefore a little rich - only for a few blocks in the morning. I have a VBAC, AIS block off (really important for this problem) and a Techlusion map device. I can make it pop occasionally by holding the throttle open just a schouch on decel, but even that is hard to do. If you are popping a lot, AIS block off is the first thing to investigate. A vacuum leak in the exhaust manifold is the second. Fuel rich condition on decel is the third. Not all Warriors pop on decel as evidenced by mine. A lot of popping on decel would drive me nuts!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It doesn't pop a lot and it usually does when I have the throttle open a little on decel. If it was popping a lot, I would check the mapping again, but it happens once in a while... not a big thing. Thanks for your feedback.. this place it great. Oh, I will learn to not decel too[/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts