RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, new Warrior and the backfire and popping is driving me nuts..

Did some searching on the board to find out what I could do. Found the ECU mod to change the mixture per hole.

When entering the Diag mode. Hole 1 is set to -4 and hole 2 is set to -3.

I didn't want to get to crazy changing things, before I posted here to check with someone or some of you that have done this.

When getting off the gas slowing the bike I get pops or "backfire" from the exhaust. Bike is stock, other then aftermarket pipe the dealership put on it.

Question is: should I make any changes to the -4 and -3 settings? and if so, what direction should I go?

Thanks in advance.

Bill

·
Registered
114 Posts
Get an AIS block off kit from Barons. It will stop most of the popping. The bike will still sound like a semi slowing down though.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
screw Baron's. Get it from www.NOPORK.com cost 14 bucks plus shipping
http://www.nopork.com/shop_bybikesub.asp?grp=Yamaha+Roadstar&subcat=Engine+and+Performance
but yes, most of the problem is the AIS. Dump it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
So what do you do after the ais block off and it still pops all the time? I thought I read a post about the injectors closing completely off during closed throttle. I'm not a rocket scientist, But it sounds reasonable that " no gas in- no gas out- no backfire" So where does the unburnt fuel come from if my injectors are closed? Mine sounds like my 12 gage sometimes...

·
Super Moderator
13,703 Posts
AIS won't do much if anything, I have it, but just to clean up the bike. It sounds like your are running lean, with a pop on decel and such low ecu numbers. Bump them both a couple and go for a ride, and check your plugs. Keep repeating till you get where you want. Or go buy a pc3 and do the same tweak and test technique. The best way to go, would be to get a PC3 and a custom map, but it's not neccesary. Nothing you do will get rid of all the popping, btw. It's still a V-Twin, so enjoy the pop.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Even with the AIS blockoff from Barons, popping and back-fireing will still occur from time to time. It seems to be the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for posting the questions and to those that answered since I have the same issue. I have a 2005 Warrior with HK 3" pipes and the Power Command. It has been back to the dealer 4 times but they never mentioned that this was common. Though I'm sure it is not legal in my state, I will purchase the AIS block off kit.

Brent

·
Registered
470 Posts
My bike only backfires during the first few decels or shifts when the bike is cold. I'm talking about only one pop or so for each shift or decel. After the engine warms up (a few blocks is all it takes), it pretty much stops. Occasionally, I get a pop when I've got the throttle held right in no mans land between on and off throttle. I have the AIS blocked off and a Techclusion ECU modifier. So, it seems you should be able to stop this problem too! First step is removing and blocking the AIS. The AIS pumps air into the exhaust stream specifically to burn any unburned gas that may escape the in the exhaust system. If there is some unburned gas there, mixing it with fresh air causes it to burn - hence the pop or backfire we hear. After the AIS, there is quite a bit of info in other threads - everything from changing to iridium spark plugs to custom fuel mapping. Search the forums for more.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Gallo

My bike only backfires during the first few decels or shifts when the bike is cold. I'm talking about only one pop or so for each shift or decel. After the engine warms up (a few blocks is all it takes), it pretty much stops. Occasionally, I get a pop when I've got the throttle held right in no mans land between on and off throttle. I have the AIS blocked off and a Techclusion ECU modifier. So, it seems you should be able to stop this problem too! First step is removing and blocking the AIS. The AIS pumps air into the exhaust stream specifically to burn any unburned gas that may escape the in the exhaust system. If there is some unburned gas there, mixing it with fresh air causes it to burn - hence the pop or backfire we hear. After the AIS, there is quite a bit of info in other threads - everything from changing to iridium spark plugs to custom fuel mapping. Search the forums for more.

I have the AIS blocked, and mine acts the same way until warm. I didn't hear any with shorter pipes, but I do now with my BigShots back on.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've got pops on deceleration and flames when I accelerate. At night you can see them good, sometimes a foot out of my ground pounders. My ecu is set at -14 and -16 if I remember right. I think -14 and -16 is very lean, so I don't understand why I've got the flames...which I think would mean rich. It seems to get along just fine /emoticons/emotion-1.gif

·
Registered
348 Posts
Mine seems to pop more or less depending on the air temp and humidity levels. But I can tell you I have several hours of my own time as well as a friend's time(very experienced motorcycle mechanic) and the pops are here to stay. It's only in decel and it's just as I close the throttle. So enjoy it, as someone once told me on here it's just the bitchs way of announcing herself. Seriously I have followed the popping posts for a while and have ridden with a few other people here that have warriors. Some pipes seem to cause it more than others but they all seem to do a little popping. Check your plugs make sure your not lean and just enjoy her for what she is.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Yeah, mine is like that too. It's been pretty humid here lately, and my bike is popping like no other. Much more than usual. People hate riding behind me now, lol. After I made an adjustment on the Power Commander, it went away somewhat.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop

Oh yeah pop

1 - 14 of 14 Posts