RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After about 40k my 2nd gear is now skipping..it has never popped out of gear just slips/skips when i get on it. If I drive normal it is fine and never skips. Only hammer down and only in 2nd gear.
Anyone know anyone who wants to tackle this pull and spilt? (Cincinnati area)
Thanks
CS

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,329 Posts
Do a Barnett's Spring Converstion with the Green springs
And also the RiJi 2 or 3 plate mod
And you'll be all good to go.

Sent from my SM-A102U1 using Tapatalk

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,562 Posts
Just to confirm, this does not happen in 1st gear even WOT is that right?

Since it doesn't slip out of gear then I agree with Desert. Address the under-performing stock clutch first. It sounds like yours are worn thin and now are glazing so replace all fibers (suggest stay with Yamaha fibers) AND also investigate the mod Desert referred to: member RIJ1 helped improve the 2-disc and the 3-disc mods and he has posted excellent DIY documentation.

Plus yep the Barnett plate kit is incredibly stable. Stiffer. Eat yer spinach. Replace your old worn clutch cable with Barnett same time.

You can do both mods at the same time using documentation by various members here.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I just replaced the clutch and did the barnett conversion....HOPING it would fix the problem but it is the same after the new parts, Before it would SLIP in 3rd 4th and 5th..after the clutch no more slip but 2nd gear still has issues.

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
It is common for the 2nd gear "dogs" to get worn its basically a peg in a hole design = no syncro's.

Have repaired 2 customers bikes with 2nd gear issues its also an opportunity to install the ,75 Roadstar 5th gear no extra labor just added cost for gears.

I posted pix here of the worn trans parts will look for a link for you.

Link tp pix
2nd gear worn out parts pix | RS Warrior Forum

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,562 Posts
@burnchassis

My bad. I should have scanned your prior posts, I did not recall you posting that work. It changes everything, probably. For us old guys you might go ahead in the future and provide the background so we are up-to-speed.

So, if it were me, I would revisit every related item outside the motor case first. Mundane things like clutch pack, push lever, clutch cable adjustment, etc. without regard to guesswork about whether or not it might be directly related to the observations. When I would run out of related items that are externally accessible or at least viewable, that's when I would split the motor.

@Churchkey
My understanding is the R* 5th gear swap works for all 2002~2005 factory model year R*W's, is this still known to be the case?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Check the clutch return spring hasn't broken. It is situated at the left hand side of the engine when you are sat on the bike. Just beneath the chrome arm where the bottom end of the cable attaches. When the return spring brakes the clutch doesn't disengage properly and causes the clutch to slip at low speeds, as the bike speeds up the arm releases and everything seems OK. Please check as I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a cheap fix. Hope this helps.... Frec 🇬🇧

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Check the clutch return spring hasn't broken. It is situated at the left hand side of the engine when you are sat on the bike. Just beneath the chrome arm where the bottom end of the cable attaches. When the return spring brakes the clutch doesn't disengage properly and causes the clutch to slip at low speeds, as the bike speeds up the arm releases and everything seems OK. Please check as I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a cheap fix. Hope this helps.... Frec 🇬🇧
If that was the issue it would be a problem in all gears.
this only happens in 2nd gear.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is common for the 2nd gear "dogs" to get worn its basically a peg in a hole design = no syncro's.

Have repaired 2 customers bikes with 2nd gear issues its also an opportunity to install the ,75 Roadstar 5th gear no extra labor just added cost for gears.

I posted pix here of the worn trans parts will look for a link for you.

Link tp pix
2nd gear worn out parts pix | RS Warrior Forum
Thanks for those pics, I'm sure that's what mine looks like too. What's an approximate cost to do this plus the 5th gear?

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
Been 4 years since I repaired one parts prices have no doubt increased you can check parts prices @ Partszilla. I billed 10 hours labor for the last job.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts