RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great. In the last month not one not two but three of our close friends have had relatives who were in nasty accidents while on their motorcycles. They have to share their story and of course, opinion. I can’t get to the truth of the circumstances of the accidents because emotions. Logic doesn’t matter here anymore. My hard working, loyal, and generally amazing wifey already suffers from anxiety and is not handling it well. Every time I go near the bike it’s a panic attack for her. This really sucks.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Great. In the last month not one not two but three of our close friends have had relatives who were in nasty accidents while on their motorcycles. They have to share their story and of course, opinion. I can’t get to the truth of the circumstances of the accidents because emotions. Logic doesn’t matter here anymore. My hard working, loyal, and generally amazing wifey already suffers from anxiety and is not handling it well. Every time I go near the bike it’s a panic attack for her. This really sucks.
This year in general has been horrible for bikes. There has been A LOT of it happening. Cagers are getting worse and worse, as well as kids on sport bikes thinking they're invincible. But a lot have actually been cagers fault for not paying attention like they should be. It's really sad but.... you can die walking to your mailbox. I believe if it's your time, it's your time, just be careful and do what you can to avoid it.

Ride safe brother

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
my brother quit riding because its gotten bad. im not ready to put it away though.
I know a few that have. I live south of Seattle wa and I refuse to ride up that way. Seattle is one of the worst for bikers imo. Plus I hate it up there after working in Seattle for 6+ years lol

·
Administrator
27,730 Posts
Every time I get relocated by work I've made a habit of finding a place on the outskirts of town for this exact reason. Plus if I can live in a small town nearby it's even better. But it can happen anywhere. I'm not ready to stop riding I love it too much. My extended family might worry but they know if something bad happens that riding is my smile-generator and this particular bike makes me smile more than any other ever has. Just over 50 years with two very early go-downs. I'm just fine. Work has messed with my body far more haha. My point is probably almost every rider over history has done just fine. The injury rate is far lower than it sometimes appears.

In Arizona and Oregon I volunteered for the respective versions of their Governor's initiative for motorcyclist safety. Giving talks sometimes. Mostly handing out their versions of 'watch out for motorcycles' bumper stickers and bar-wall-posters. Its surprising how many small business store-fronts and restaurants allows these stickers to be put on their front doors.

There is more you can do. Re-take
higher level motorcycle safety course. Stay geared-up. Most of all keep riding and smiling because most of us would be less who-we-are if we caved-in. Yep it sux but not as much as giving-up.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Sorry, Stretch. That's tough.

I can't offer any advice. I can only tell you what has helped my wife and her fears when I got back into riding.

1. I point out stupid riders whenever we are driving somewhere together. If we are on the highway and a crotch rocket flies by I point it out. When we are stopped in traffic and a d!ck rides between lanes cutting off everyone I point it out (Note: I realize that is normal in some states but it's illegal here... which means nobody is looking for it... which means one car decides to change lanes and those wankers are going down). I also point out how safer riders put MORE distance between themselves and the car in front of them than they should and point out, "It looks like there's plenty of space for you to squeeze in infront of him... don't. He's being appropriately cautious." She can now SEE a difference between riders that are doing what they can to be noticed/avoid being hit vs riders that are pushing their luck. It also lets her know that I know what it takes to do my part to try to avoid being in a serious accident.

2. I highlight safety equipment. I've shown her how my headlight modulator works and tell her whenever someone pulls over and yells to me, "I think there's something wrong with your headlight, it's flashing like crazy!" (it's happened twice now... and I just smile and say, "Thanks, I'll look at it!"). I just put a blaster-x taillight on my xmas list and will have her buy it for me. I realize that sounds self-serving, but by having her buy it for me she will kinda feel like she is doing something to keep me safer out of the road.

I'm not naive, I know there is only so much we can do to keep ourselves safe on the road. But I think these little things have helped the wife AND reinforced the need for constant safety awareness within myself.

Good luck.

·
Registered
298 Posts
In Russia, there are groups in a social network where they help people who get into accidents and record information. It good for understanding the real quantity of accidents.

But the overall impression is such that it does not matter how carefully you ride, the more you drive, the higher the likelihood of accidents. We say something like this: "who does not ride does never fall."

An accident is always a biger price for a biker than for a car driver. You can think like a military pilot, knowing that everyone wants to bring you down. And even if people don’t have such desire, people still do different ****, not having the ability to explain it after. With a magazine in your hands you can't kill, but by a car is easy. Nobody thinks about it. The moto is somewhat different: do we think or not about the consequences, but we bring danger into our life by ourself.

We can certainly live without leaving our home, it’s safer, than to ride but boring. Life in this way is a prison. IMO :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everybody. I’m going to give it a little more time. Hope the emotions settle down a bit and maybe, reason can come back and play. I really appreciate the thoughts and suggestions so keep them coming if you have any more! Sorry to make this a topic it just looks so grim right now.

·
Registered
6,331 Posts
Like stated b4..
It's only normal for love ones to worry about us riding when they hear bad things

Day at a time bro.
Also we all have to be cautious n ride defensively when we're on 2 wheels.....

Also having n wearing riding gear
Can make a world of difference in a bad situation....

I went down 5yrs ago I believe..
Had on my gear and came out if it...
Yeah broken collar bone , but could've been worse....

Ride safe ..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Like stated b4..
It's only normal for love ones to worry about us riding when they hear bad things

Day at a time bro.
Also we all have to be cautious n ride defensively when we're on 2 wheels.....

Also having n wearing riding gear
Can make a world of difference in a bad situation....

I went down 5yrs ago I believe..
Had on my gear and came out if it...
Yeah broken collar bone , but could've been worse....

Ride safe ..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk
100% agree. When I went down on my warrior I was only going 6 miles roundtrip and decided meh I don't need my riding boots or anything. I'll be fine. Yeah my leg is still healing from March. Bike went over my leg. Guess what I don't do any time I'm on my bike now lol. Always fully geared

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gotta get this off my chest. Looking back I guess this has been a long time coming but recent events just pushed my loved one over the edge. I‘ve been working on my wife’s anxiety issues diligently; discussing safety gear, good riding habits, and my personal record of safety. I wasn’t making any progress. I knew it was not looking good when I heard the words come out of my mouth “horseback riding is 10 times more dangerous than motorcycle riding”. Grasping for straws I was. I was hoping someone or something would happen to allay the fears but time and again, well intentioned folk spouted nonsense and negative opinion. Well intentioned or not, citing the dangers of another man’s pursuits - to his wife - is not cool IMHO. For me, it effectively put the nail in the coffin. I know this for sure: Mama is truly terrified and I don’t see her coming back from the edge. If it was just regular old lady concern and worry that’d be different. She has anxiety attacks...sweating, shaking, and I’m sure that exacerbates her other health issues. So the bad news is the Warrior will sit, which can’t happen. All the advice from you guys here and the work and funds that went into it demand it be enjoyed not just looked at. If I look at it I have to ride it. So, it’s up for sale. This is one of those decisions you know you will regret but have to make. I think my mistake was not having wife with me during safety training and then regularly discussing how to be safe while riding. I just took it for granted she was a good lass and would do what I enjoyed. Anyway, it is what it is with me and mine. I hope for years of riding to each of you! If you don’t mind me hanging around I would like to. You never know, maybe we can get things balanced a little better and ride again someday. The essence of brotherhood here is strong and losing that hurts as much as losing the Warrior. There is a silver lining though. I’ll be replacing it with a new Jeep. Something to keep me from going crazy. Well, keep your eyes open for some parts and mods I’ll need to sell.

·
Premium Member
2,944 Posts
Man this came out of right field but hard to put myself in someone else's shoes. Health would be what we all strive for so if you selling the bike brings peace in your universe then it has to happen.....for now.

Good luck pops.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Stretch;

-I would like to state first and foremost; that you are a Good Man! To give up something that you truly love, for someone else and their well being is a personal quality uncommon today.

I am truly sorry, but in the scale of the universe, a wife and her health are way more important than a motorcycle should be. Just my two cents worth. So good on YOU for trying to alleviate/remove what is obviously a stressor for her.

I sincerely hope you at least stick around for the brotherhood and to pass on some of the knowledge that you have obtained through the years. Take care of yourself and your family Stretch and please stay in touch.

Respectfully yours,
Rg

·
Registered
197 Posts
Stretch
You`re a good man, taking your wifes well being into consideration!
Good luck with the Jeep !

·
Premium Member
7,613 Posts
Unfortunately in today's technologically advanced world it is becoming harder and harder to ride safely. cell phones and hands free did not exist when I began riding. Today the cagers pay more attention to who is calling them and responding to a text while driving than to what is actually on the road. There could be some light at the end of the tunnel as more and more cars become equipped with automatic braking when an object (like a motorcycle) becomes too close and hopefully this will make up for some of the lacks of attention drivers pay to actually driving although it could also become worse as drivers rely more on the car to stop than on their actual driving skills. Loud pipes do in fact help save lives however more and more townships are cracking down on the noise levels from motorcycle exhausts. People somehow do not like to be woken up at 3 in the morning because a motorcyclist neighbor decides he wants to hear that growl once more before going to bed or while sitting on a restaurant patio do not like the ring a ding ding of some race bike as it tears away from the restaurant parking lot.
Motorcycles are dangerous.
Cars are dangerous for motorcycles and that is a fact of life. However there is nothing so therapeutic as going for a nice ride. Even a convertible does not give that same feeling. However, life is dangerous in general. You can get hit by a distracted driver while going to the end of the driveway to get your mail. You can get hit by a distracted driver while crossing a cross walk. To live is to take a chance and unless you want to become a shut in and never leave your house you are in danger. Heck you can even get cancer without leaving your house and these days a mosquito bite can kill you.
Personally i choose to ride. i am 66 and have been riding on roads since the age of 19. I simply drive like everyone on the road is trying to kill me and so far I am still around. Remember you will not get bitten by a mosquito while riding especially if you are wearing proper riding gear but sitting on the front lawn watching the bikes go by is a sure mosquito magnet LOL

·
Registered
251 Posts
christok;

Well said my friend. And that is exactly how I feel and choose to live my life. For me riding is both uplifting in spirit and therapy for life's daily doses of B.S. For some riding is strictly recreational for a lot of us it is a way of life.

To ALL: Be Safe, RIDE Safe and as Christok said have the mentality that everyone on the road is out to do you bodily harm, which is GREAT advice.
Rg

·
Registered
4 Posts
I crashed hard on 6-16-16. **** near died, did die during lifeflight. I got another bike as soon as I got out of the hospital, 2 1/2 months later. I forced myself to ride but I didnt really want to. We sold our bikes and went 2 seasons without. We bought bikes this last season with me getting a Warrior and her a Midnight. We're back to loving it! Point is , be patient. The little guy on your shoulder will tell you when.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I've had three heart surgeries in the last 6 months.

Riding is the least dangerous thing I do.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts