RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a post a few weeks back inquiring about why my bike was acting up. After exhausting a few options, I had to take it to a dealership. They let me know that my bike was getting spark and everything but was not getting enough compression. They told me they’ve gotta take the engine apart to find and fix the issue. And that I’m looking at an over $2000 fix. I’m only 17 and really don’t have that kind of money but I’m trying to figure it out :( Basically I wanted to know if this was a common issue? The bike only has like 12,000 miles on it. Very low for an issue like this. Any response is appreciated!

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
Reading your other posts it's hard for me to comprehend how it went from riding fine to no compression. My gut tells me that's not the issue. How long ago was your cps replaced? I ask because I've read that if you don't replace the entire cable up to the connector it can cause issues, can't be spliced in to the old cable

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know it’s only firing on one cylinder. Only one of the pipes would get hot when I managed to start it and keep it going for a minute or so.

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
I'm just dumbfounded that it crapped out on you. Even low compression should still fire.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure. Don’t think I have much of a choice either way. I’m no mechanic and I need my bike :(

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Ok..Start with the Basics...

1 , Check all Battery connections
2 , Checks your Coil wires are on tight n connected
3 , Do u have a Fuel Management system?
If u do make sure all connections are good.
4 , Check for any TYpe of Vacuum leaks...
5 , Check for any wires arching...
This can be done at night in a dark garage
Slightly pull on wires , ECU wires Coil wires
Etc Etc...You might find issue that way...

6 , ItS no way that engine needs to be split
Ok.. Be patient and will get u though this.

My Opinion is you have some kind of bad connection...

I encountered same issue while ago
It turn out to be a coil wire that WASN'T making full contact...

Also plz post all N Any MODS DONE TO UR WARRIOR....

Sent from my SM-A102U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
THIS BIKES ARE ONE OF THE EASIEST THINGS TO WORK ON... DONT NEED TO BE A MECHANIC OK...
JUST BE PATIENT...

THERES ALOT OF WELL EXPERIENCE WARRIOR MEMBERZ THAT ARE WILLING TO HELP....
AND WITH WAAYYYYYYYYYYY MORE EXPERIENCED WITH THIS BIKES THAN ANY SHOP MECHANIC

Sent from my SM-A102U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would be comfortable taking it out of the shop if I had someone to help me figure out what’s going on in person. I don’t have tools or anything.

·
Administrator
28,598 Posts
Is that a Yamaha dealer shop? These bikes have a compression release, so there are extra steps involved in measuring compression else the readings will reflect the open compression during cranking.

Everyone has a few simple hand tools plus the bike's factory tool pouch might still be under the rider seat. You need to lift the top fuel tank, disconnect all 4 spark plug wires (also think of them as the secondary-side wires just for clarity in this task) from the spark plugs so it will not start, then remove one spark plug from each cylinder then put the spark plug wire back onto these two removed spark plugs, then set these plugs on something metal like frame or motor AWAY FROM THEIR SPARK PLUG HOLES (and also somewhere out of view in case it leaves arc-marks) so the threads are grounded, then crank the bike. Watch for actual spark on both plugs. Smell near the two empty spark plug holes for gasoline being sprayed. Notice noises and report back. You can do this with just the bike's toolbag.

Keep your head and hands away from the motor while cranking in case fumes reach your uninstalled spark plugs, its embarrassing to singe your hair haha!

Plus, go to our Documentation Forum and look for a post about what to do if you have problems after doing a BAK or VBAK or moving the ignition coils. Download the pdf attachment. Read. Check the part describing the primary-side wire colors and vacuum hoses for the air sensors. They need to be right. Its described in a way its easy to look at the bike and know.

Also, look for some fuel manager like power commander, techlusion, cobra, or some other. It will usually be a plastic box sitting under the rider seat.

Let us know okay!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The bike is still located at a Yamaha dealership. So I have a dilemma of taking the bike back and most likely not being able to fix it, or letting them fix it and be paying huge amounts of money :(

·
Administrator
28,598 Posts
Ask them what steps they used when they verified compression, see if they mention the compression release.

Do you have an e-copy of the service manual? If not get one and many here can walk you thru things. You want to be an educated bike owner and an informed service customer. This stuff is not that hard, **** if we can learn it then so can you!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’m glad that so many people here are supportive. But like I said I’m still not comfortable unless I have someone with me to work on it. I have never worked on anything, let alone bikes. I’m trying to learn the basics but as of right now I’m clueless. I need my bike to get to work too. I’m stuck

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Has anyone else actually had to do this? Take apart the engine? Or has it ALWAYS been something else? Just wondering if I’m just some super unusual case... or if this is at least heard of...

·
Registered
59 Posts
I recall that someone had a similar problems some weeks ago, but now I cannot find that post (it may have been on facebook...).
The problem he had was that a connector to one of the injectors had come lose, so if you´re lucky, it might be that simple. Check all connectors on the injector harness.

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
honestly these engines are bullet proof and quite frankly I have absolutely no faith in yamaha service techs. my own personal experience getting the cps recall done on my 06 I had to get yamaha corporate involved. the engines themselves rarely go bad but electrically somthing as simple as loose battery cables can cause all sorts of nightmares

·
Registered
59 Posts
I found the FB post (fb group "Yamaha Roadstar Warrior"), it was Monty Myrtle that had a problem with an injector connector. He made a video,you can find it here

·
Administrator
28,598 Posts
Has anyone else actually had to do this? Take apart the engine? Or has it ALWAYS been something else? Just wondering if I’m just some super unusual case... or if this is at least heard of...
Bikes not maintained can develop troubles associated with lack of lubrication. I have no idea what your motor has been subjected to.

You seem to think your bike is the one in ten thousand that crumbles mysteriously but with no clear symptoms. Okay. But odds are vastly against it. And around here we have seen certain recurring themes. Like mechanics who fail to know about decompression solenoids reporting bad compression is far more common than actual compression troubles.

Your bike might need motor work. Our suggestion is to check it properly first. If you are more trusting of your mechanic on this somewhat unusual bike, which is proven nearly bulletproof mechanically, then okay there you go no worries. If you are afraid to ask your mechanic about what he knows about this bike's decompression system, well, that does not sound like trust but its okay no worries just let them work.

Not everyone is able to learn to wrench. Its okay. But most who jump-in and give it a shot discover confidence and end up being great helpers here for those who follow.

So my answer is: search here and read thru a bunch of threads to find the ones that sound like what you observe at the bike. Become aware of things. You will be a better consumer. And you might discover interesting things.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts