RS Warrior Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
6,541 Posts
I had almost same issue .....While back ago

I checked n checked and after a member suggestion of pulling on wire n simply moving things around in. My garage bike running I put a rag over headlight so I could be dark ... I found the issue it was just one of my Coil wires had came off enough to cause all the problems...

Which like u the bike was running on one cylinder and running like crap...
I crimp the wire down a lil reinstall and no problems since...

Moral of story is dont need to be a mechanic just have the desire to work on it and get it running right...

Take pics post them and we will all help u out

Sent from my SM-A102U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
945 Posts
I had similar issues when I bought my bike. It is an 07 and had a PCIII serial at the time.
Final answer for me was wiring harness damage from a butcher job of an install on the PCIII.
Here are a few threads about it including the first one which is what led me to the conclusion it was the wiring harness.

and finally my issue

I never updated that thread, but in the end I replaced the whole factory wiring harness instread of try to overhaul the pins in the ECU plug. I also worried there was possibly a bad ground in the harness as found in the first thread.

·
Premium Member
3,262 Posts
OP if what you said is true then having 1 dead cylinder is more likely something way simpler than having to crack the motor apart. Having a dead cylinder is more likely some wiring issue. Even with no tools and just simple investigative skills you could probably find the problem. Plus you can find a running motor for half that price.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thank you all for your help. I’ve found what I think is a decent solution in my opinion. So the issue I had before is that the usual dealership I would go to was closed due to COVID-19. So I ended up taking it to the only one I could find open In my state. I’ve never gone through those guys before. So I have decided to go get my bike and bring it to my now open normal dealership and see what they have to say about it. I’ve had better experience there.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Also I know I do have a power commander. I’m not sure which one so I’ll make sure to check that issue

·
Registered
234 Posts
The comment about splitting the case had me shaking my head. The young gentleman didn’t say his bike sounded like a chaff cutter. That would be the only reason I would think about having the cases cracked. Also I would ask for advice or opinions before going that far. All the guys here I believe gave the young gentleman room for thought which is fantastic s it possibly saved him a lot of money.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Yeah there was no knocking or any strange sounds. The piston just wasn’t firing at all. I thought it seemed strange to want to take it apart. I really hope I get some good news from the other dealership.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yeah there was no knocking or any strange sounds. The piston just wasn’t firing at all. I thought it seemed strange to want to take it apart. I really hope I get some good news from the other dealership.
Well these people who you haven’t dealt with before have been struggling because of the virus. In walks a young man with bike troubles. They think they have a live one here. I can guarantee that if you had said fix it, they wouldn’t have split the cases. At worst it might cost a couple a hundred, but they would tell you 2K. Listen to the guys here because they have been there and done that with Warriors. Between the lot of them they know Warriors inside out. I know that things might sound daunting, but you have to start somewhere. At your age your brain is still a sponge and it will take in everything you experience. Also just be a little bit careful with the Dealership you know. Remember they have all been doing it tough. So ask questions if your not sure about something. There is no such thing as a silly question, just silly answers.

·
Registered
341 Posts
OP - If "no compression" is the diagnoses again then ask a few questions.
1. Which cylinder is low?
2. What were the compression numbers for each cylinder?
3. Better yet, play dumb and have then explain it to you... ask them, "Out of curiosity, how do disable the decompression solenoid during the compression test?"

Guys - correct me if I'm wrong, but the decompression solenoid reduces the compression in both cylinders, right?

Anyways, you can compare the compression values and see if it jives with what you find... the cylinder that is firing/getting hot should have much higher compression or else they are testing compression incorrectly.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Hmmm I’ll think about asking them that!
I’m with you man. I don’t know about you but I wouldn’t have to play dumb lol! I’m just now getting around to learning about my bike and I often feel a bit over my head, **** the ais block offs have been on my work bench for a year and between not having made time and just not wanting to screw something up I haven’t installed them yet.

Everyone’s speaking solid to you though, there is so much info in this forum just gotta decide what’s a good move for you... anything I have searched there is a step by step guide and sometimes a vid. Good luck, hope ur back on the road soon.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
what are the error codes? have you put a compression tester on the bike? my bike started running on one cylinder and it turned out that a vacuum hose on a sensor came off. I fixed it with a hose clamp.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
took it to my more reliable shop. They did a drip down test and found out it’s the piston rings. Said worst case scenario probably looking at 2300 but hopefully under 2000. He said maybe it could’ve been caused by a bad tune on my power commander? Does that sound right? Idk how to tune power commanders or what’s good or bad

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
So after having some issues with my bike and fiddling with it for some time, I finally took it to a shop. They told me it had too little compression and needed a rebuild so I took it to another shop for a second opinion. They said the same thing and did a leak down test and found the issue. They said worst case scenario probably looking at $2300. I asked him why this could’ve happened or what I could do to prevent it. He said MAYBE it could be caused by the power commander... does that sound right? I didn’t think a power commander would do that. Would having an improper tune damage the engine? Where/how can I check That it’s tuned properly. Located in central Wisconsin.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
This sounds very unlikely to me. I am guessing that arizonawarrior had it right, the dealerships both likely did not follow the proper procedure to turn off the starting decompression circuit. The decompression valve is likely staying open. I have never even heard of a warrior with worn out rings before.
I would at least ask them some questions about how they did it. And then compare it to the manual. AND ask them if they have the manual for a Warrior, as it is not at all the same bike as the Road Star 1700, which it is often confused with. Dealerships rarely seem to know much about the Warrior.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
As I posted in the other thread, I don't think that the dealerships are following the proper compression check procedure for a Warrior, as arizonawarrior posted earlier. I think it is extremely unlikely that your rings are bad.

Make sure that the dealerships know how to do it on a Warrior, as opposed to any other Road Star. The Road Star 1700 is often what manual the mechanic is reading. It is not at all the same bike, motor, frame, wiring, ecu, ... etc.

·
Administrator
28,213 Posts
Just "they found the issue" is not enough. Very specifically what part did they say is broken, exactly where is the compression leaking?

99.999% of the time its simply a case of the mechanic not understanding the significant differences in the Warrior. It is a big cube motor with giant pistons and designed with features to still be a great long term bullet-proof machine.

Its very remotely possible that a super-lean condition could melt a piston. That could be blamed on a fuel manager, or lack of a fuel manager on a heavily modified bike. But candidly that catastrophic failure would display itself very obviously, and the cylinder would have zero compression and the debris noise would be significant.

Fuel managers are often misunderstood, but for those who understand how they work and what the parameters are, its easy to see why clueless techs blame a range of symptoms on aftermarket parts that the customer is mystified by and get away with it. Sorry, but that is what it is.

This seems a case where you need to believe what you are told locally. No worries. Human. We are not there at the bike. You are, and if you can't verify step-by-step yourself then its okay. Just know that every time we see this here, over almost two decades, its the mere fact the compression release is not correctly disabled. In most cases, guys here have helped walk new members thru.

I'm merging this new thread into your previous thread to keep this all together. Best of luck brother. Sorry we seem unable to help more.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts