RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sorry, but this "Warrior talk" is driving me nuts. I've searched, but most everbody talks like they know all about it. I don't. Would someone explain this to me. Detailed. Hows it differ from stock? Could I keep the trash can with these mods? Is that the only way to get rid of that big-ass air cleaner cover? We need a detailed explanation here as a sticky, for numb nuts like me![/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

·
Premium Member
13,680 Posts
I'll try to sneak in a quick n dirty before someone tells you to search. Matter of fact, if you do searches for BAK and AIS you'll have at least a full day of reading. BAK, Big Air Kit. Several versions from DIY to ready made kits like Barons. Most replace the air silencer box under the tank. This makes room for K&N or UNI filters for increased air flow. The sensors are relocated to a custom plate that fits where the silencer was. The big air box on the left side can stay of not, your choice. You can remove it without doing the rest of the BAK but it's not really advised cuz it does filter the incoming air. Several folks have replaced it with scoops of one type or another that incorporate filters. The AIS is the Air Injection System, or something close to that, located on the left side under the fake scoop. It puts air into the exhaust to cut down on emissions. Easy DIY mod. RedHorse has excellent instructions on his site. The trashcan/rocket launcher/B-B-Que can stay with either mod. There ya go, AIS and BAK in a nutshell. Now you can talk the talk!
HTH,

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
oh, and don't forget to do a search. LOL. can also get a thundar air kit to replace the shield of arms aircleaner, wich will give you big air too. there are so many ways to go, that one must realy search hard and decide for themselves which way they want to go. after you start the bike will take on a life of it's own and you'll never be able to stop the mods. good luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
quote:Originally posted by MeatGrinder

I'm sorry, but this "Warrior talk" is driving me nuts. I've searched, but most everbody talks like they know all about it. I don't. Would someone explain this to me. Detailed. Hows it differ from stock? Could I keep the trash can with these mods? Is that the only way to get rid of that big-ass air cleaner cover? We need a detailed explanation here as a sticky, for numb nuts like me![/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

dont be worry your not alone i have the same problem before i read this post thanks folks to answered its appreciate

Mario [8D]

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
AIS = air induction system:
Burns unburned exhaust gases by injecting fresh air (secondary air)into the exhaust port, reducing the emission of hydrocarbons.
BAK = big air kit: name adopted by the one who do it first. A simple air filter system that reduced the bulk of the stock system and supposed increase the air flow. Anything else?

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
For different look on modified stock air box refer tohttp://www.roadrider.org/refresh/
Warrior/BillH the mod man/twin velocity etc.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
quote:Originally posted by OldMan

Most replace the air silencer box under the tank. The big air box on the left side can stay of not, your choice. You can remove it without doing the rest of the BAK but it's not really advised cuz it does filter the incoming air. Several folks have replaced it with scoops of one type or another that incorporate filters.

Why would you spend the money on a filter to filter air that's about to be filtered?[/emoticons/emotion-4.gif]
Clyde

·
Registered
364 Posts
Did anyone mention that not only does bak give you more air it gives you easier access to sparkplugs and thottlebodies.It also gives you room to relocate your coils and other stuff.I went with the thunderair kit but still might do the bak not for the extra air but for the extra room.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Reload is correct. There really isn't much of a performance boost (if any) created by doing the BAK but the extra room under the tank is great

·
Premium Member
13,680 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Clyde

Why would you spend the money on a filter to filter air that's about to be filtered?

Cuz the filter in the silencer box isn't all that good by itself.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I dont know, I think if you do the BAK and then get a good map for your pc111 you will at least run more efficiently. I did the bak and rode the bike before I got it mapped and I was getting over 50mpg. on the highway (runnin way too lean of course) so if the mixture gets mapped correctly you should get equal performance with less fuel.
Oh, and about filtering air that is going to be filterd. The air box under the tank has a filter on top. the air that comes from the giant plastic/chrome shield gets filtered and then enters the side. So, if you remove the side filter air will flow unfiltered in from the side even though there is a filter on top of the box under the tank.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I guess I'm thinking if you're putting a "big air" kit on that means removing the top air box. I suppose if you consider any mod to the stock intake "big air" then you would of course want the side intake filtered.
Clyde

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
quote:Originally posted by jspencer

Reload is correct. There really isn't much of a performance boost (if any) created by doing the BAK but the extra room under the tank is great

I beg to differ, but for me there was a very noticable performance boost, specficaly on the top end, with the BAK and a proper map on the pcIII. the extra room and losing the shield of arms is just a side benifit. the BAK is definatly worth it IMO. Plus a bigger grin.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts