RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally replaced my Barnett throw out bearing after around 30 K miles.
I had no issues but from day 1 it was louder then others I've heard.
I only changed it cause of the noise it made.
This new one is very quiet but looks different.

7003B Bearing Angular Contact 17x35x10

VXB 7003B Single Row Angular Contact
For Axial & Radial Loads
Spindle Ball Bearing
17mm x 35mm x 10mm
12 ball

I'm not sure why the VXB 7003B it has plastic but i installed it anyway.
(I might have to call the company up in regards to the bearing)
The original Barnett 6003 deep grove one I removed is all metal with 10 balls but mine was noisy when engaging the clutch.

Besides taking the pressure off a couple times the removal and install of the bearing was easy.

The way I removed the old bearing from the pressure plate was to set the plate down on a flat firm hard surface and set a 7/16" 1/2"Drive socket into the bearing from the front side and lightly tap if with a hammer till the bearing came out.

Then with the new bearing you set it into the freezer and set the pressure plate on the stove with the flame low. You wanna get the pressure plate hot to expand and get the bearings freezing cold to contract.

Get the bearings out of the freezer, shut the stove off and quickly insert the bearing. It should drop in and be pushed down all the way.
Let the pressure plate cool enough to hold by hand.

(Btw, make sure when installing new bearings you install in the correct direction. I installed backwards and had to rebuild it haha)

As mentioned I installed backwards and didn't kmow till I gave it a try in the bike and lost clutch.
I pulled the inner race and bearings out while leaving the outer race stuck.
No big deal as this may help others who had issues and loosing their bearing.

To remove the outer race from the pressure plate just heat it on the stove as was done getting ready To install the bearing.
Let it get Hot and smack the plate down on something hard like the counter or table and the race should pop out downwards.

Relevant info -
Pressure plate Spring/Bearing info and usage- Stock/Barnett

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The all steel 6003 deep grove 10 ball bearing is what I pulled out of the Barnett pressure plate.
The steel/plastic is the VXB 7003B 12 ball angular contact.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My backwards mishap. Luckily it popped on the 2nd pull of the lever.

Do not rush daylight, also have your kids distracted instead of them distracting you, haha.

Attachments

·
Registered
380 Posts
I used a press to install the bearing. He relied on an external cage of it.

In the bearing that you installed instead of 6003 in the BPP of the previous version, is the plastic cage? According the description on your link it is steel.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used a press to install the bearing. He relied on an external cage of it.

In the bearing that you installed instead of 6003 in the BPP of the previous version, is the plastic cage? According the description on your link it is steel.
No, the 6003 is all steel. I updated the posts with pictures. The 7003 is angular. Not sure why the cage is plastic.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Please, record the digits on ODO the you started using this bearing. For statistic.

·
Premium Member
8,823 Posts
My $0.02 follows:
Direct flame impingement, from a natural gas stove burner, to this precision machined aluminum alloy part is a poor practice and not required for the R&R of the bearing.

If you want to go down this road then a Toaster Oven @ 200*F max will increase the hole size of the PP by 0.002" to 1.380" (35.052mm) I.D. with no need of chilling the bearing :)

• Any applied forces to the replacement bearing should always be directed to the outer race only!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Any applied forces to the replacement bearing should always be directed to the outer race only!
Totally agree!

My observations.

1) A radial bearing 6003 was installed in the stock plate and in the BPP of the previous version. In the BPP and in the stock, this bearing has 10 balls. There are 10 of them in Koyo 6003 too.

2) NSK products are found on the market, it's bearing 6003 with 9 balls. There is probably an explanation for this. We also have a national product 103, where 12 balls are installed in a bearing 6003

3) In the current version of the BPP with an angular contact bearing 7003 with a textolite cage, 11 balls are installed.

4) In the bearing VXB 7003B is 12 balls.

5) In the Koyo 7003FY bearing, which I installed, with 14 balls.

6)
According to information from the official site VXB 7003B:
Dynamic load rating Cr: 6,400 N
Static load rating Cor: 3,800 N
Limiting Speed:
Grease Lubrication: 17,000 RPM
Oil Lubrication: 22,000 RPM

For comparison, characteristics Koyo 7003FY from the official catalog:
Dynamic load rating Cr: 7,300 N
Static load rating Cor: 4,450 N
Limiting Speed:
Grease Lubrication: 31,000 RPM
Oil Lubrication: 41,000 RPM

And yet, the characteristics of Koyo 6003, for comparison:
Dynamic load rating Cr: 6,000 N
Static load rating Cor: 3,250 N
Limiting Speed:
Grease Lubrication: 21,000 RPM
Oil Lubrication: 25,000 RPM

Extreme speed in all bearings for our large margin application. But pay attention to the differences in static and dynamic load.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My $0.02 follows:
Direct flame impingement, from a natural gas stove burner, to this precision machined aluminum alloy part is a poor practice and not required for the R&R of the bearing.

If you want to go down this road then a Toaster Oven @ 200*F max will increase the hole size of the PP by 0.002" to 1.380" (35.052mm) I.D. with no need of chilling the bearing :)

• Any applied forces to the replacement bearing should always be directed to the outer race only!
Right. I didn't want to bake it lol(get it too hot). I just had the stove on its lowest setting to slowly heat up thoroughly. I tried to just heat the plate and drop the bearings in but they just went half way in so then I chilled them and they dropped in on their own. Then I left the plate on the burner till it cooled down on its own.

On another note, here's the reply I've gotten from the company.
I'm wondering if I should get the steel caged one.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I messaged Barnett a couple times on a replacment bearing and they told me 'You can actually get a replacement bearing from your local Yamaha dealer. It is the same as the stock bearing'

From the parts finch and eBay pics a new bearing only has HS markings. I'm not sure if that's the NEWLY used bearings in which I don't know the brand.

So from this all I went and got my old low mileage 02' pressure plate and removed it bearing.

I see that the bearing is a KOYO 6003C4.

I tried to get Barnett to send me the part number on the bearings they use but they gave me their part number to be able buy it from them.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also messaged VXB about the bearing with the Nylon cage and they answered stating it's made for a higher RPM application.

(Your previous message

I noticed that the 7003B bearing has a plastic cage. It looks nothing like the bearing with the steel cage show in the advertised pictures.
I had to install the bearing but would like to know if you have the bearing with the steel cage as in your pictures?

irvineman:

Hello,

I am so sorry about that. The nylon cage is actually made for high RPM application and has a higher rpm rating. We do have the steel race as well. If that one fails you, let me know and I will get you the steel cage one. The nylon cage one is more expensive as well.

Your previous message

How is the heat rating on the one I ordered? The bearing is being used in a motorcycle clutch pressure plate. I'm worried about failure due from heat to the to nylon cage.

irvineman:

The highest temp is 250ºF, the steel one is for that heat rating also. The steel is not treated for anything higher.

Your previous message

Thank you. The engine doesn't reach nearly that high.
Do the 2 different bearings have the same overall ratings besides the higher rpm ratings?
Dynamic load, static load, angle contact degree?

irvineman:

Hello,

Yes, the rest of the specifications are identical.)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I got more info on the bearings I pulled out of my Barnett pressure plate.
I confirmed that it is/was a SKF 6003/C3. The outer race inner lip square step characteristics and they weren't stamped on the front but we're printed on the outer race side.

Here's my bearing I removed and some pics from a couple other SKF 6003/C3's

Also, I also confirmed that it's common for angular contact bearings to have Nylon cages (they come in different plastic types of material with different names aswell depending on brand) so it's not a worry or shouldn't be.

I called around to a bunch of companies with lots of questions and we've spend lots of time and got this info.

I am still trying to find out who made the bearings in the Yamaha OEM parts stamped with the HS.

Attachments

·
Registered
380 Posts
So I got more info on the bearings I pulled out of my Barnett pressure plate.
I confirmed that it is/was a SKF 6003/C3
* in BPP of the previous version.

The next version is already angular contact 7003:

Also, I also confirmed that it's common for angular contact bearings to have Nylon cages (they come in different plastic types of material with different names aswell depending on brand) so it's not a worry or shouldn't be.
Yes, but what kind of load a particular bearing is designed for and whether it is suitable for use with different springs is a question. Also, the question is what kind of bearing puts the barnett. It looks very chinese))) On the net, I did not find mention of nylon in relation to the bearing in their new BPP version. But the description of the textolite matched in appearance.

Let me remind you that the bearing in the latest version BPP looks like this:

When it collapsed, I pulled it out of the BPP and was marked 7003B on its clip.

I am still trying to find out who made the bearings in the Yamaha OEM parts stamped with the HS.
Koyo:

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
* in BPP of the previous version.

The next version is already angular contact 7003:

Yes, but what kind of load a particular bearing is designed for and whether it is suitable for use with different springs is a question. Also, the question is what kind of bearing puts the barnett. It looks very chinese))) On the net, I did not find mention of nylon in relation to the bearing in their new BPP version. But the description of the textolite matched in appearance.

Let me remind you that the bearing in the latest version BPP looks like this:

When it collapsed, I pulled it out of the BPP and was marked 7003B on its clip.
That bearing in the plate that your showing looks just like the new Vxb 7003b I installed.
I'm not completely doubting you but I don't think they would use some cheap Chinese brand.
I have messaged with Barnett and I am going to purchase a bearing directly from them to look further into it.

I spoke with a couple bearing distributors and they said it's common for angular contact bearings to be that way. I also spoke with vxb and they mentioned the same.

The last pictures is that me vxb 7003b when it fell apart but only from my negligence of installing it backwards.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know that koyo used to make them as I shown a picture of one I just removed but now the bearings just show 2 letters 'HS' or 'SH' so it seems they have moved to a different brand.

Attachments

·
Registered
380 Posts
That bearing in the plate that your showing looks just like the new Vxb 7003b I installed.
I'm not completely doubting you but I don't think they would use some cheap Chinese brand.
But VXB 7003b with a cage of gray color, and in the BPP installed bearing with a cage of red. And its shape looks different. A search for 7003B gave me a huge amount of results that look similar to what I saw personally and what is visible in the photo. But firstly, most part these links to bearings led to aliexpress. And secondly, the bearing in the BPP did not have a specification of the manufacturer’s brand. I saw the same thing in the proposals of the chinese.

For comparison, the Koyo 7003 that I put in had both a marking and a brand, and an indication by which side to install it.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Found in Koyo glossary: "SH - bearings specially heat treated"
That is correct. It's the same bearing koyo 6003c4 I pulled out it seems. Though there's a 6003 and 6003c4 both stamped with SH.

There considered Long Life Bearing Series

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
But VXB 7003b with a cage of gray color, and in the BPP installed bearing with a cage of red. And its shape looks different. A search for 7003B gave me a huge amount of results that look similar to what I saw personally and what is visible in the photo. But firstly, most part these links to bearings led to aliexpress. And secondly, the bearing in the BPP did not have a specification of the manufacturer’s brand. I saw the same thing in the proposals of the chinese.

For comparison, the Koyo 7003 that I put in had both a marking and a brand, and an indication by which side to install it.
My VXB is actually red also. I have a picture of it in light aswell.
You can see the 6003B stamped at the top and no other markings.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This may be why it's hard to find and see these plastic type angular bearings.

Your previous message

I noticed that the 7003B bearing has a plastic cage. It looks nothing like the bearing with the steel cage show in the advertised pictures.
I had to install the bearing but would like to know if you have the bearing with the steel cage as in your pictures?

irvineman: VXB Representative

Hello,

I am so sorry about that. The nylon cage is actually made for high RPM application and has a higher rpm rating. We do have the steel race as well. If that one fails you, let me know and I will get you the steel cage one. The nylon cage one is more expensive as well

1 - 20 of 28 Posts