RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Posts on same topic moved together from separate threads by ArizonaWarrior)

I just installed the Barrett conversion on my 1700 Roadstar but when I put the side cover back on and hooked up the clutch cable there is no tension at all in the cable is this normal because I got rid of the diaphragm Style so I'm going to have a lot of adjustment now in the cable?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have done this conversion but after putting the cover back on and hooking the cable up there's no tension at all on the cable the lever has spring action to it but nothing on the clutch lever is this normal because I'm going from a diaphragm to the spring style conversion or is this have to have a lot of cable adjustment because of the change?

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
I have done this conversion but after putting the cover back on and hooking the cable up there's no tension at all on the cable the lever has spring action to it but nothing on the clutch lever is this normal because I'm going from a diaphragm to the spring style conversion or is this have to have a lot of cable adjustment because of the change?
You may have to move the pull lever on the case to be in a tighter position.

Rudy Jeremias (rij1)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You may have to move the pull lever on the case to be in a tighter position.

Rudy Jeremias (rij1)
I was thinking about doing that, but was not sure if that typical or normal after doing this conversion

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
I was thinking about doing that, but was not sure if that typical or normal after doing this conversion
It can be normal if the splined pull rod/lever moved when the cover was off.

Rudy Jeremias (rij1)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just installed the Barrett conversion on my 1700 Roadstar but when I put the side cover back on and hooked up the clutch cable there is no tension at all in the cable is this normal because I got rid of the diaphragm Style so I'm going to have a lot of adjustment now in the cable?
Well....
I got this concern corrected....so I road tested it today and it still slips/jump on heavy acceleration in lower gears..this is why I installed the conversion kit......should I go ahead and replace the frictions plates next or something else ??

·
Administrator
27,856 Posts
The pull strength on the clutch lever should be noticeably stiffer but smooth. It should set and release the same as when new, just stiffer.

Just curious if you have a 1700 Road Star, or a 1700 Road Star Warrior?

In either case, if you had slipping clutch fibers then they are worn and need to be replaced. Soak awhile in new oil. Service manual has the info.

When installing the SR2, rotate (clock) the SR2 until it settles into the clutch and is flat. Then be certain all the bolt heads on the springs are sitting on the flat area of the plate, not off the flat areas at all.

Assure the push-pull lever (in manual as the pull lever) is correctly oriented and installed. See the manual for inside case orientation, and also for the outside the case lever orientation where cable connects.

Then loosen the cable, including at the mid-cable adjustment, and use service manual to adjust.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
........so I road tested it today and it still slips/jump on heavy acceleration in lower gears..this is why I installed the conversion kit......should I go ahead and replace the frictions plates next or something else ??
Can you explain & define the following, "jump on heavy acceleration in lower gears"
  • What gears and is it jumping out of gear?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can you explain & define the following, "jump on heavy acceleration in lower gears"
  • What gears and is it jumping out of gear?
No it does not actually jump out of gear I'm still pulling it's just that it's like it's jumping gears clunking when I let off the accelerator and go back into it slow it doesn't do it shift 2/3 slow acceleration it's fine but if I hit the accelerator hard it does it again but when I let off the accelerator it stops and it's still in the gear at that time or whichever gear I'm in it just seems like geared teeth not meshing properly....like gears taking but it's already in gear...roadstar 1700 with 27000 mile.... I did do the Barnett clutch conversion thinking that that would be the problem but it still does it... I'm thinking of possibly changing clutch plates, but with the low miles it shouldn't need it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No I have not and what would I be looking for that would cause it or for me to think it would be bad?
I read on some forms guys want to go to different tooth front pulley just to make their top end better I'm not really concerned about that but I guess also that belt if it's jumping on the pulley can cause the same effect that I'm experiencing ??

·
Administrator
27,856 Posts
Maybe the front pulley nut is loose from the shaft. Or pulley teeth are worn below spec and/or drive belt teeth.

Your Silver Lining is the Barnett is a no-brainer mod for this Beast. Its good its done. If the problem was not with the clutch you are still better off. But next check is the front pulley based on your progressive posts here.

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
Pull your drive pulley cover and take pictures and post them.
When it's off grab the pulley and see if it wiggled or wobbles.

Rudy Jeremias (rij1)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts