RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This item was installed today at a local Yamaha dealer. When I went to get the bike, the light was wired for a running light only (not connected to brake). I let the installer know that I wanted it to work exactly like the brake light. He said that he hooked it up this way 1st but ended up blowing a fuse so he rewired it into the running light. I would still like this to work like the brake light. What wires would I need to splice into and why would a fuse blow?

As for the turn signals, I ordered some Motrax arrowhead turn signals for the bike from cyclegear.com. I want to remove the stock lights and install these into the existing lights but have noticed after removing the stock license plate assembly that the bracket cannot be removed without taking the turning signals with it. Is there a way to remove this bracket and keep the existing turning signals in place?

Sorry for all the questions but of course I have the mod bug biting me so I need to take care of these things.

Thanks in advance

Mark Graham

2005 Warrior

Grand Prairie, Texas

·
Administrator
29,699 Posts
The fuse would blow ifhe wired the light for BOTH tail light and brake light at the same time. Most plate lights are single filament bulbs. It can be one or the other. How many wires go to the light, how many filaments are in the bulb, only you can say if this is the problemwith yours.

·
Administrator
29,699 Posts
I'm separating your posts, sorry if it causes confusion I thought it might actually save confusion long-term. In the future, if you reference a part, you should provide a link to what you are talking about. It makes it easier for us to help you. We don't get paid we're just into the same bike is all.

Is this the part? http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=2&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=MRX_AAIN1_G&tier2=14 If yes, that appears to be a 1-wire single filament bulb with a local ground (the mounting bolt i.e. fastener is the ground path). If this is the case you would need to fasten that to metal that is in turn joined into the grounding path of the motorcycle battery, or you would have to hang a ground wire from the fastener and jumper to the battery negative, orto the frame in the ground path.

As for mounting, if the signals are single-wire, you would have to either drill holes in the rear fender and buff away some paint to get to bare metal for the ground, or possibly bolt thru the rear fender stay rear bolt, assuming you don't have a passenger and therefore can afford to use a hollow stud in place of the stock structural bolt at this location. Or getsignals with a ground wire.

This exact trouble is why many of us look atintegrated rear signals. Here's the current conversation about which unit might be the best: http://rswarrior.com/forums/t/121392.aspx
Maybe you can wait long enough to see which way the membership feels and then buy the best light. The signals you bought were $30 a pair is that right? You can mount them as above, or you cansell them in the classifieds section to someone who is in a different situation and can mount to the rear (such as with a Yamaha rear fender eliminator kit).

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts
megraham said:
As for the turn signals, I ordered some Motrax arrowhead turn signals for the bike from cyclegear.com. I want to remove the stock lights and install these into the existing lights but have noticed after removing the stock license plate assembly that the bracket cannot be removed without taking the turning signals with it. Is there a way to remove this bracket and keep the existing turning signals in place?
Here you go for the turn signal modification you requested: REAR FENDER TRIM

If this is a single wire device, you'll need to add a Ring terminal under eachMotrax mounting stud and connect to the Black wire (GRND) in the taillight harness which isn't a problem. The inner fender is ABS and not conductive
These lights will work fine for the application. You'll need fender washers for the smaller dia mounting studs as the OEM signals are M12 i think
.... if a multiple wire device connect accordingly!

The brake light wire is Yellow and terminates at the taillight housinginto a 3-prong water tight connector. It operates off the same fuseas the running light (10A Signal Fuse)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure at the moment how many filaments are in the bulb but it does have 3 wires coming from the light.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Arizona Warrior said:
I'm separating your posts, sorry if it causes confusion I thought it might actually save confusion long-term. In the future, if you reference a part, you should provide a link to what you are talking about. It makes it easier for us to help you. We don't get paid we're just into the same bike is all.

Is this the part? http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=2&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=MRX_AAIN1_G&tier2=14 If yes, that appears to be a 1-wire single filament bulb with a local ground (the mounting bolt i.e. fastener is the ground path). If this is the case you would need to fasten that to metal that is in turn joined into the grounding path of the motorcycle battery, or you would have to hang a ground wire from the fastener and jumper to the battery negative, orto the frame in the ground path.

As for mounting, you would have to either drill holes in the rear fender and buff away some paint to get to bare metal for the ground, or possibly bolt thru the rear fender stay rear bolt, assuming you don't have a passenger and therefore can afford to use a hollow stud in place of the stock structural bolt at this location.

This exact trouble is why many of us look atintegrated rear signals. Here's the current conversation about which unit might be the best: http://rswarrior.com/forums/t/121392.aspx
Maybe you can wait long enough to see which way the membership feels and then buy the best light. The signals you bought were $30 a pair is that right? You can mount them as above, or you cansell them in the classifieds section to someone who is in a different situation and can mount to the rear (such as with a Yamaha rear fender eliminator kit).
As for the link that you posted. This is the exact part that I had
ordered. I had noticed from the forum that some members had these
installed on their bikes and they looked pretty good. The price that I
paid was $15.99 for the set.

·
Administrator
29,699 Posts
This Yami steel kit does the trick.

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/accessories/acscitemdetail/5/60/119/472/all/5/3926/0/detail.aspx

I mounted just the top half. It leaves space for each signal to mount on steel, and if your signals have a ground wire then you can run it to the bike's ground wire right at the tail light. If they don't have a ground wire you can jumper from this plate to the bike's ground wire.

You can get a much better price at MSSS. http://www.motorsportssuperstore.com/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts