RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well for all the Naysayers out there and anyone else who wishes to contribute, these are the dimensions i've come up with on my '04' battery box after being in service for > 5 yrs and 38,000+ miles with the stock battery strapped in place and never removed until these photos.

I would suggest you review the battery photos to see the extreme erosion on the ABS battery case. The box is lined and in some areas there is closed cell foam rubber for protection. http://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157613273650281/

There are also 2, i repeat TWO drain holes in the bottom of the battery box to prevent flooding
... as you can see the box collects trash so check the drain holes and make sure the closed cell foam hasn't covered them up by shifting!

Anyone contemplating cutting the short partition between the compartments should IMO install a sheet of neoprene rubber or equivto prevent abrasion to the tapedmain factory harness and the same applies to those that have removed the relays from the factory rack.

IMO, removing the small partition for a longer battery or components from the designed restraining rack can lead to premature failures of critical sensor wiring that will ultimately contribute to a challenging trouble shooting project unless you take steps to protect any conceivable harm as a result of vibration.

If you don'tstack on many miles per year or ride at elevated speeds for long periods of timethen this would be a mute point.

Some of the members that have reported problems with wire chaffing in the component compartment have modified the OEM parts as well as installed additional accessories in that area and some have removed the battery cover/connector tray as well.

When removing the 3/8"Rear Bump/Protrusion for a wider battery, i would suggest you reseal the box from road trash as it is directly in front of the centerline of the rear tire. It is my opinion that this space was allocated for the POS. Battery Cable that uses a flag connector and that this space acts as a Wireway. The POS. cable is a tight fit and has no freeplay on my bike so i would suggest you prevent chaffing to the cable if you godown this road.

I'm open to correct any errors oromissions by the writer in this Topic Post as always ....
I believe the information I have provided here to be accurate and true as are my dimensions.
Proceed at your own risk. Standard disclaimer applies.

WARRIOR BATTERY BOX: 5PX-2177G-00-00
Compartment Size: 6" L x 3" W x 5 3/4" H ***
*** Under Battery Cover/Wire Connector Tray

ACTUAL MEASUREDBATTERY DIMENSIONS - GS GT14B-4
5 7/8” L x 2 11/16” W x 5 5/8” H Top of Case & 5 3/4” Top of Hex Terminal Bolt

[*]
LEFT

[*]
Overall View of Empty Battery Box @ 38,241 miles – 2004 Warrior[/list]
[*]
CENTER

[*]
Note: 2-Drain Holes-Right Bottom Corner of Box & Just Left of Short Partition Divider for Relay Components.
Note: 3/8" Protrusion at Rear of Box to Accommodate POS. Battery Cable
Battery Compartment: 6"L x 3"W x 5 3/4" H[/list]
[*]
RIGHT

[*]
Relay Rack &Main Harness
Note: Short Partition on the bottom of box between the Battery Compartment and Relay Components.
6 5/8" Bottom of Box to bottom of Tab Notch in Wall of Box for Locating Tray, -0.813 Tray, -0.063 Foam Rubber Pad = 5.750"Height of Compartment Under Tray[/list][/list]

[*]
LEFT

[*]
Battery Cover/Wire Connector Tray: 5PX-82129-00-00
Bottom View of the Protruding Index Tab - Bottom of Tab to Bottom of Tray = 13/16"(0.813)
6.625 Bottom of Box to bottom of Tab Notch in Wall of Box for Locating Tray, -0.813 Tray, -0.063 Foam Rubber Pad = 5.750"Height of Compartment Under Tray[/list]
[*]
CENTER

[*]
3/8"- Rear Bump/Protrusion used for POS. Battery Cable Wireway.
Note: The alloted space allows the POS. Cable to run behind/between the back of the OEM battery and the battery box preventing abrasion to the cables.[/list]
[*]
RIGHT

[*]
3 7/16"(87.5mm) - OAL Width of Box Less 3/8"(9.5mm) Bump &1/16"(1.5mm) Foam Rubber Pad = 3"(76.5mm) Width Net[/list][/list]

[*]
LEFT

[*]
6" Steel RuleLaying onBottom of Box[/list]
[*]
CENTER

[*]
6"(152.5mm) Wide Box confirmed w/Tape[/list]
[*]
RIGHT

[*]
Battery Cover/Wire Connector Tray: 5PX-82129-00-00
View of Index Tab at Top of Photo between Bungee Strap Clasp[/list][/list]

[*]
LEFT

[*]
Top View Battery Cover/Wire Connector Tray: 5PX-82129-00-00[/list][/list]

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3494/3262691832_a9b8071ee9_b.jpg

·
Administrator
29,700 Posts
I agree its all looking logical.

However, you have TWO DRAIN HOLES! How do you rate!

I'll have to look again. I only saw the one hole a couple years ago, and wasn't even sure it was a drain hole until someone on this site clarified it for me.

This is the 2003 parts view from the Star parts site, #21 is a grommet and #31 is a hose (which is indeed a drain hose). The 2004 parts view is identical in these respects, as expected. Does thesecond drain pathexit thru the grommet, or just nearby?

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Arizona Warrior said:
I agree its all looking logical.

Ditto Alan...lol ...can't add anything yet..too cold today [whimp] to get my battery out todayasnow the cover is covered in ruddy snow again!! grummmff

and the weatherman promised ...promised!, someone else was getting it grummmmfffff

·
Administrator
29,700 Posts
Teck still has that new spare battery box (probably for sale by now) and I bet he can second these dimensions. He said it does have two drains so I am blind as a bat without radar. I'll post dimensions next week but I'm betting mine are also the same. It sounds like what we really need is somebody who has a 2002 with an SVR14 that slid right in to measure their battery box one of these days, too. I still think we should just advise members who ask to "measure your battery box first" because at worst its a waste of time.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Very good information, Alan. You are correct, there are 2 drains on my brand new battery box (not for sale) that I ordered a while ago from MSSS. I plan to complete the electrical restoration, once I have the 280 kit installed. Right now, my bike is stored into a heated garage, away from the dreadful winter we have here in Montreal. My garage is not heated so there is no way I could work on my bike right now. However, I will go to the storage place where I have all parts and take some pictures.

I am convinced that there are 2 box dimensions and I'm glad Alan took the time to snap those shots. I will post identical pictures of the brand new box.
In the same time, I am still looking for a battery that will fix the stock box, without modifications.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
tomba said:
Ditto Alan...lol ...can't add anything yet..too cold today [whimp] to get my battery out todayasnow the cover is covered in ruddy snow again!!

OK ...nice day..so got mine out to [morecombe and wise]...

my [MF] YT14B-4 battery measures146mm high x 68mm wide x 149mm long - charge method= STD - 1.3 x 5 - 10H- 12v 13A

my '03 battery box is as below...ruddy tight!!..is the pic showing below?

150mm long evenly across bottom x 73mm width to bump face [in middle of depth] and 84mm max just above bump width x 173mm max depth without tray in [to top of notch opening] - noticed the base width to bump was slightly narrower at 71mm max

So I'm in trouble with fitting the SVR easily on my '03 model uk bike

ALSO - only ONE drain hole [not 2] in the base on the helmet lock side

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
tomba said:
....So I'm in trouble with fitting the SVR easily on my '03 model uk bike

Hi Tom. My battery box is the same size as yours and I fitted an SVR-14 with a little bit of heat around the hump area. The battery box does have a bit of a bulge if looked at from behind. This perfectly mirrors the fact that I have a bit of a bulge if looked at from the front

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Badger said:
Hi Tom. My battery box is the same size as yours and I fitted an SVR-14 with a little bit of heat around the hump area.

Hey Bob..that's very good news..see ya does ya bit and someone gives you good news ..so that's my roadthen, 'the old heat the bulge trick'..ever thought of turning that hair dryer round Bob? might work lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts