RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where's the best place to get some positive cable wire and ground wire you think? I went to two auto place today(O'Reillys and Advanced Auto) and they didn't have the right size wire or connections. I know I can go to my local bike dealership and get them but it's $24 just for the positive cable. Granted it already got the connectors on and all but I hate the place for one(bad experience/swore I'd never give them another penny)and I'm thinking I can piece it together myself cheaper. Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good idea. I didn't even think of Lowe's even though it seems like I'm always in there getting lumber or tools.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea I actually got that yamaha place bookmarked on my phone. They have the cheapest oem parts. I cleaned and re-wrapped my positive cable last night at work. It was pretty bad. I'm gonna see how it does before I buy another.

·
Administrator
28,597 Posts
The insulation on your cable looks like it burned? Was it an electrical short, or some external heat source? I'd be worried if there was a problem that'll melt the new one too. Just wondering out loud :) Your OP mentioned ground wire too, is the NEG cable in similar distress? I can't really see from the pic of it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ground wire is fine. No, I bought a starter relay from eBay and didn't notice the positive connection was on the wrong side. Hooked it up as normal and there came the smoke. Scared the **** out of me. Still trying to get my bike to crank. It has plenty juice from the battery but all I get is two clicks when I hit the start button.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ground wire is fine. No, I bought a starter relay from eBay and didn't notice the positive connection was on the wrong side. Hooked it up as normal and there came the smoke. Scared the **** out of me. Still trying to get my bike to crank. It has plenty juice from the battery but all I get is two clicks when I hit the start button.
Did you ever rectify this issue?

·
Premium Member
3,542 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sometimes it is a good idea to replace cables as they do not last forever. They also can corrode from the inside out or fail from some sort of short and never see it as it is burnt inside the insulation. I also bought theses wires and they helped on starting the beast faster.
I think I'm going to look into this.

I've been having an issue with getting a 37 error code/check engine light (linear control valve) that is totally random and the clock is randomly resetting itself when this code seems to come up.

My first look was for loose battery cables/ground, but all was good there.

LCV has been deleted for a while now but the code was coming and going the same with or without it.

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
I went to a boat supply store and bought 4 gauge marine wire and wire ends and changed all my battery wires, even the wire going to the starter. I'm going to do the same wire change to my Harley RGC when i get time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts