RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my factory battery was getting pretty weak, and decided to try a lithium battery. A member here had posted a link to this battery on Amazon, way less expensive than Shorai.

Amazon.com: Battery Tender BTL14A240C Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery: Automotive

And this charger:

Anyway, I bought both, and installed over the weekend. It really is incredible how light and small these are, they give you foam blocks to use so it doesn't bounce around in the battery box. Threw it on the charger (already had a battery tender with the pigtail on the bike so just plugged it right in) and gave it a couple of hours since they come only 70% charged.

Fired it up, and WOW!!!! Cranks WAY faster and starts instantly. Runs great!

Anyway, folks on the forum had said that the Shorai charger charges individual cells and did not know if this one does. Well, it didn't say so I wrote them this morning and here is the reply:

Good Afternoon Randy,

Unlike some of our competitor’s batteries, all Battery Tender lithium batteries contain a cell balancing circuit.

Even though we go through painstaking procedures to make sure each cell in a finished battery are matched, no two cells are identical. There are always slight differences from one cell to another. With no protection in place, these differences cause the individual cell voltages to diverge from each other. The cells in the battery become unbalanced. When this happens the cells with the higher voltage are susceptible to damage from overcharge and the cells with the lower voltage are continuously undercharged. The voltage of the overcharged cells gets higher and the voltage of the undercharged cells gets lower. It is a vicious circle until the battery fails.

Cell balancing minimizes this problem. Our balancing circuit balances the cells by equalizing cell voltages during the charge cycle. Once the voltage of a cell reaches a threshold the charge current is diverted around the cell to slow or stop its charge. The cells that are lower in voltage continue to charge. When those cells reach the voltage threshold, current is diverted around them as well. This continues until all cells have equal voltage. This ensures that each individual cell is properly charged.

One thing to note here is the cells in each Battery Tender lithium battery are matched so well that even without a cell balancing circuit, it would take about 500 charge/discharge cycles before the cells would become unbalanced.

Thank You
Tim Salzman
Customer Service & Support
Deltran USA
801 International Speedway Blvd
DeLand Fl 32724

Great customer service too, this is a no brainer for me anyway. Happy trails...:cool:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks, good info to have on the Battery Tender since that wasn't on their website. I feel much better about my trying to save a few bucks and decision to go with the BT. I'll be sure to purchase the charger now as well since it does charge the individual cells. I've had their battery installed almost 2 months and it works great.

·
Premium Member
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, really good deal, very happy with mine. Thanks for the original info!

·
Premium Member
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, but it is critical that it not exceed 14.8 volts at any time. I wanted the safety of knowing that so I shelled out for their charger.

·
Premium Member
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I sent an email to Tim, hopefully get an answer in the morning and will let you know.

·
Super Moderator
13,703 Posts
I just got one. Putting it on tomorrow. And the charger is only $30. Can't beat the price for the battery and charger.

·
Premium Member
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just got one. Putting it on tomorrow. And the charger is only $30. Can't beat the price for the battery and charger.
Pretty sure you won't be disappointed! And saves some serious weight too. I take that to mean I can order a few more pizzas...

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
I understand the balancing circuit is in the battery itself, not in their charger... meaning a normal charger (without desulf) do the job fine... is that OK ?
I was told by the Shorai people that the Battery Tender will charge their battery enough to start the bike, but do not leave the charger on it for storage.

·
Premium Member
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
More good news!

Good Morning Randy,

Yes the Battery Tender Junior is safe to use.

Thank You

Tim Salzman
Customer Service & Support
Deltran USA
801 International Speedway Blvd
DeLand Fl 32724

·
Premium Member
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Customer service is absolutely great. This is truly a win-win IMO.

·
Premium Member
7,744 Posts
same battery at Amazon.ca (Canadian branch of amazon ) is $207 and the battery tender is $67. even with the exchange of around $20 per 100 we are getting royaly ripped off here. Shall I bend over for you again - not LMAO

·
Premium Member
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you want I can ship to you if you pay for the battery and shipping to Canada, can't possibly be $100+...

Let me know.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts