RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't want to have to start my bike every month and thought about a battery tender or trickle charger. Which is best and are there any disavantages to one or the other or both?? Someone told me that battery tenders are good but that I would need to place a pice of rubber under the kickstand if it is sittingin my garage on hard cement.Any help would begreatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
I've had a bat Tender for 3 or 4 yrs with no problems , the quick connect pig tail is really convenient . Never heard of having to put it on a piece of rubber. Mine has been on the hard cement all the time

·
Registered
778 Posts
I've used the battery tender on my sleds and bikes for years with no problems. Never heard about the rubber under the kickstand. If your worried about it, do it. Still beats taking the batteries out.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
You want a battery tender. It is designed to charge when needed. The trickle charger will always charge and your battery won't last as long.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I use the Battery Tender Plus. I remove the battery and bring it inside the house, hook the tender up to it, and forget about it until spring. With a trickle charger you'll have to hook it up and disconnect it all the time to prevent over charging. Even then it's easy to fry a battery with a trickle charger. My dad used to use trickle chargers during the winter all the time, and he said he's never gotten more than 2 years out of a battery. There are people here that use battery tenders for years, and are still running the original battery that came with the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,549 Posts
I use the Schumacher maintainer from wally world. It has a float mode and only does 1.5 amps. comes with the little pigtail to make a quick connection to the battery.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I want one of these.....Battery Tender with 10 banks....$599....WOAH!!....then I can justify the other 8 bikes I will have to buy...LOL

·
Registered
255 Posts
If you have an Odyssey Battery, then you need an "Odyssey approved" charger.

"These chargers, such as the 1.25 amp Battery Tender® from Deltran are not capable of charging a deeply discharged ODYSSEY® battery. This is due to the fact that these chargers have very low output power. They should only be used either to continuously compensate for parasitic losses or to maintain a trickle charge on a fully charged stored battery."

So I'm going to buy a charger that does ALL batteries ( maintenance-free, marine, sealed, gel, AGM, dry and valve-regulated)like this:

Plus the pigtail that comes with it has a fuse so you don't short out and cause a fire.

Had I known better I would have bought a Braille Battery. So cool. http://www.braillebattery.com/

·
Administrator
29,925 Posts
So how exactly is an Odessy battery different from any other battery brandin that respect? The floating chargers won't deep-cycle a 12v battery and I guess I sorta understood that once a 12v battery falls below some level its no longer able to be recharged for long-term use anyway? Based on the fact its a sealed motorcycle battery, won'tyou need a new battery anyway?

I recognize different types of batteries will need a different type of charger for various reasons (there's plenty of press in this forum on that topic already). In that, Odessy brand is no different than other brands of the same battery type. A web search explains.

coolcat2002 said:
If you have an Odyssey Battery, then you need an "Odyssey approved" charger.

"These chargers, such as the 1.25 amp Battery Tender® from Deltran are not capable of charging a deeply discharged ODYSSEY® battery. This is due to the fact that these chargers have very low output power. They should only be used either to continuously compensate for parasitic losses or to maintain a trickle charge on a fully charged stored battery."

So I'm going to buy a charger that does ALL batteries ( maintenance-free, marine, sealed, gel, AGM, dry and valve-regulated)like this: (image omitted). Plus the pigtail that comes with it has a fuse so you don't short out and cause a fire.Had I known better I would have bought a Braille Battery. So cool. http://www.braillebattery.com/

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Arizona Warrior said:
+1 its actually the best and longest lasting maintainer I've ever had, certainly its the cheapest!

AkitaDog said:
I use the Schumacher maintainer from wally world. It has a float mode and only does 1.5 amps. comes with the little pigtail to make a quick connection to the battery.

+1

I have the same one. Do you guys remove the pigtail during the summer....cuz I don't.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Definitely use a motorcycle specific Tender which has the correct charge rate for the batteries you use. They also vary in the level at which they start to recharge. ie, the 'sulfation' of a battery starts at 12.8 volts so the Battery Tender Plus which re-starts its charging at 12.8v is possibly not the best choice. However, I used one for years and my SVR14 seemed to last well. I now use a C-Tek Tender which starts its recharge at 12.9v.

I also changed the Din style plug on the Tender for a Gerbing one (you have to reverse the polarity) so I can use the same pigtail for both. It's now fused at 15 amp for the Gerbing which means the Tender circuit (2amp) is now not protected.....oh well:}

Happy New Year!!

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I use the battey tender and I have an 02 with the original battery. BT hard to beat. I think I will another one for the lawnmower.

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
i have both a plain jane bike trickle charger that works great and is over 15 years old. Also have the small batter tender because.. well its cool and i wanted it. i still am on the original battery in my 03 warrior and strickly use the tender on it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts