RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OVERVIEW
The Warrior battery is used across various Yamaha platforms in the Power Sports Industry! Other typical aircooled V-Twins that share this same P/N are all years of theRoadliner, Stratoliner and Raider motorcycles.

GS BATTERY SPECIFICATIONS
GS Battery USA – GS Japan Storage Battery Co.
Yamaha P/N 5EA-82100-11-00 * $118.96 Street Price
GT14B-4 * 12vdc * 12AH * 5 7/8L x 2 3/4W x 5 11/16H * 150/69/145 (L/W/H) * 11 Lbs * 210CCA
LH Pos Terminal * M6 Thd x 10mm Hex Bolt

ACTUAL MEASURED BATTERY DIMENSIONS
5 7/8” L x 2 11/16” W x 5 5/8” H Top of Case & 5 3/4” Top of Hex Terminal Bolt

GS BATTERY DOCUMENTATION
Battery Specs: http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/1/1/1673654/My%20Documents/Battery%20Specifications.pdf
Terminal Type: http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/1/1/1673654/My%20Documents/Terminals.pdf
Web Site: http://www.gsbattery.com/

***Click on Photo to See other Views***

Next Up: Battery Box - All Years Created Equal

·
Administrator
29,671 Posts
This is great to finally see actual measurements of an original oem battery out of the bike! I expected the factory data to be more accurate based on other topics in these forums. I wonder if the batteries are all always exactly the same sizefrom the same manufacturer anditssimply a conversion problem? For example,having to convert mm to decimal to fractions usually is off a little one way or another so somebody chooses what fraction to use (or the other way around). In this case probably the battery is manufactured as a metric productso here's what I'm wondering:

GT14-B4L= 5-7/8" W = 2-3/4" H = 5-11/16"(published factory dimensions)*

L = 150mm W = 69mm H =145mm (published factory dimensions)*

150mm = 5.9055" (7/8" = .875) (15/16 is .9375) so they chose the shorter fraction.

69mm = 2.7165" (11/16" = .6875) (3/4" = .75) so they chose the longer fraction.

145mm = 5.71" (9/16" = .5625) (5/8" = .625) so they chose the longer fraction, just shy.

This may be supported by your measured dimensions:

L = 5-7/8" W = 2-11/16" H = 5-5/8" top of case, 5-3/4" overall height.

This is good work I'm glad somebody took the time. I wonder if these actual dimensional differences will have anyimpact?

* source: http://www.gsbattery.com/MB/document/2007/GS2007%207.pdf

Another question, is GS an actual battery manufacturer, or are they a battery clearinghouse/supplier for oem batteries. I can't get a handle on this but Iread someplace that, for motorcycles anyway,bikes are(always/sometimes?) imported without a batteryfor some haz reasonand the various factories acquire and install them after import. I can't find much info there, but didn't look for long I got bored. GS has a chart that might describe this relationship, I'm not sure. The title can be read and understood two ways. Either 'other' battery suppliers or 'suppliers who supply batteries to GS'. Just wondering.

Battery Supplier Cross Reference: http://www.gsbattery.com/MB/document/2007/GS2007%2011.pdf

AlanH said:
ACTUAL MEASURED BATTERY DIMENSIONS
5 7/8” L x 2 11/16” W x 5 5/8” H Top of Case & 5 ¾” Top of Hex Terminal Bolt

·
Registered
361 Posts
Thanks for the specifications...

What is the myth exactly?

Rounding up to the next one sixteenth for this application actually makes better sense to publish when the metric equivalent isn't an exact match.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Arizona Warrior said:
is GS an actual battery manufacturer, or are they a battery clearinghouse/supplier for oem batteries. I can't get a handle on this but Iread someplace that, for motorcycles anyway,bikes are(always/sometimes?) imported without a batteryfor some haz reasonand the various factories acquire and install them after import

Japan Storage Battery was a manufacturer as was Yuasa as far as I understood but now that they've merged and become GS in the US I don't really see how it works either. You can still buy a Yuasa brand battery in addition to the GS so the exact details of it stump me as well but it doesn't matter to meanymore because I'm no longer using them under either name.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Alan - very detailed...very excellent handle on the OEM battery saga v Battery box [actual] size [*][*][*][*][*][*]... now that you've shown us how to measure our own box size.. we should be able to get a handle on the 'are all boxes created equal' enigma!!.. the photo thread of your bikes box is truely a work of art [and time] andi thank you for it... time to pull my battery out and carry out the same measures..

Alan just to check is your bike 2003?....mine is 2003 [uk]...so i'll post measures with year

Great observation about the '+' cable way being protected by the bump... what do you guys that have already fitted SVR's do about this if anything?

So it would seem the OEM battery [to top of hex terminal bolt] is taller than the height space to under the oem cover by 1/8th inch already when the tab is located in the notch free resting

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Donncada said:
What is the myth exactly?
Donncada... When the dust settles & the Naysayers are through replying i'll respond to your question

tomba said:
... now that you've shown us how to measure our own box size.. we should be able to get a handle on the 'are all boxes created equal' enigma!!.. the photo thread of your bikes box is truely a work of art [and time] andi thank you for it... time to pull my battery out and carry out the same measures..

[*]All battery boxes are created equal when new and it's a myth to think they aren't
... later on forthat subject when i do a post on the battery box. The detailedphotos are already posted and referenced above as shown below.

[*]http://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]7/sets/72157613496336334/[/list][/list]

Alan just to check is your bike 2003?....mine is 2003 [uk]...so i'll post measures with year

[*]
Shame on you if you can't check my gallery specs for the year
[/list]

So it would seem the OEM battery [to top of hex terminal bolt] is taller than the height space to under the oem cover by 1/8th inch already when the tab is located in the notch free resting

[*]I suggest you revisit the appropriate battery box photos and review the numbers as that is not correct.. they are the same (5 3/4") ....
Also, note that the battery cover/wire connectortray is channeled & stepped back on the rear where it sits over the POS. batteryterminal
.... the bottom portion of the tray doesn't sit over the NEG. terminal.
[/list]

·
Administrator
29,671 Posts
I don't see any naysayers here, let's move forward!

Here's the pic I last posted in Nov08 that wasn't taken of my battery box, but shows enough of it that its clear my battery box is the same as most others. I did not measure it but will in a couple weeks when I get to that point.

Since we'recovering the topic again, maybe its a good idea tolook back at those old posts and see if the guys who said they don't have the dividing lip between the relay area and the battery area, or don't have the bump in the back wall, might have another look under their seat? I seem to recall thatat least a couple members saidtheirSVR-14 dropped right in because no bump (or whatever) and I don't recall that we ever took the time to get to the bottom of that since we got interested elsewhere. I'm very interested in the box dimensions because I want to fill it up with battery without going too far over the 11# oem battery weight in case the box cracks over time!

BTW is there a difference in the 2002 battery dimensions (which have a different Yami part# so might have been pre-GS)?

Again, I didn't intend this pic to be a pic of the battery box itself, but its been posted since May 07, and I've referred to it a few times in posts showing my battery box to be the same, and that brought up my interest in other members having a different battery box or different dimensions somehow.

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No disrespect to therespondents, but what i find humorous and very concerningis that there is notone response from anyone challenging the 210CCA value that i disclosed

[*]
What has been floating and tossed around as a Bench Mark very frequently on theforums and also posted in the Popular Mods and Repairsis 135cca and i would certainly like to know how the author verified this
... i suspect it was taken from an earlier post and not correct info to begin with as are many things.
[*]
When you start interchanging Battery Groups you are not comparing apples and apples in the aftermarket as has been expressed by this writer in pastposts. When you Google YT14B-4 you're not going to get an equiv battery unless you do some research.

[*]
Bottom line, I sent (2) E-mails and placed 1-phone callto GS for confirmation of the CCA and what form of testing they do to validate the numbers. Haven't yet received an answer.[/list]
[*]
Also, checked the later Owner's Manuals for the Roadliner, Stratoliner and Raider bikes on the Yamaha web site for detailed battery info and found nothing at all regarding CCA.[/list]

For what it's worth, i didn't pull out a vernier, dialcaliper or micrometer to measure the battery. What's it matter. I just thought that i would provide accurate info by using a steel rule andtape. Who cares if it's off 0.015" or 0.38mm. There is also some foam rubber involved as well.

Now the battery says all over it that it is made in JAPAN and by whom, no mystery or (clearinghouse - we aren't dealing in stocks & bonds)and there is no Interchange for this specific battery on the GS Interchg Sht! ... and Yuasa & GS is no different than Pirelli owning Metzler Tire

FYI, the Yuasa Battery that is exactly the same size & ccaas the GScost $187.00 street price.

My battery is currently over 60 months old (38,241miles) and has resided the first 2 1/2 yrs in MI and the balance here in SoCal. Never used a battery tender when i put it to sleep in MI during the winters although i would take shortrides on occasions when the snow melted and the sun came out.

When it's time to replace the battery i'll buy the Yamaha P/N as it's done me just fine and the street price at $118.96 is worth it IMO.

From day-one I've always been very respectful to the battery to prevent discharge ..... when i don't plan to start the motor but need to turn on the ignition i ALWAYS throw my kill switch so that the fuel pump doesn't boot-up
... I rarely use my kill sw to stop the motor except on a hill and if i do i ALWAYS turn off the ignition key. Many times on a ride i see members walking away from their bike engine off headlight ON

As stated earlier, the battery box detailedphotos with DIM's and photo descriptors are up for viewing if interested.

[*]
http://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157613496336334/[/list]

The earlier information and GS supporting documentaion for the original post i believe to be accurate and true as are my dimensions. If Yamaha is no longer using the GS battery line across the other platforms i would be really surprised. It's certainly an easy task to verify the supplier of your battery w/o much effort. Because i am in the process of doing PM's, i removed the battery to inspect and reviewthe electricalharness and relay components.

·
Administrator
29,671 Posts

That is fantastic info to have! I've updated popular mods (for March). Thanks for sharing. Yes, I believe everyone (myself included)has been using 135cca for so long we've every one of usjust accepted ituntil now. When you posted this, I remembered that the 2002 Warrior battery has a different part# on theYami parts website, and soI wondered if the 2002useda2002-model YuasaGT14B-4 135cca battery, but the 2002 manual shows GS. Its always been 210cca! (added 3-16-09: the issue remains clouded and the oem battery might still be 135cca but GS Yuasa will not comment beyond standing by the 2008 chart they posted. They decline to comment on the CCA rating from 2002-2006 with 2007 possibly being a half-and-half year where later bikes (Calif and Europe) got the newer battery) - (the part# didn't change in 2007 - the battery did not get heavier in 2007).

Here's an example we are familiar with fromthe net, we've all believed this until today (make changes everyone!): http://www.apexbattery.com/yuasa-yt14b-4-motorcycle-battery-motorcycle-batteries-yuasa-motorcycle-batteries.html

Not a single one of us has challenged this, even when guys were buying it. I'd suspect theWarrior data for all years floating on the net shows 135cca for that reason, and this is further supported by other battery vendors selling lesser batteries for less money. I also suspect thatis also why the oem battery gets lower ratings, guys are thinking they are buying same as oem but they are actually buying a135cca aftermarketbattery with the same battery number (less the GS). Heck, since GS is a company identifier, I sure didn't think it would make a difference and didn't include the GS in my searches.

Isn't it funny, I would never have thought to call GS, plus all we had to dowas include "GS"- so search for "GS GT14B-4" and up it pops at 210cca. Very good news! So, the SVR-14 is still a candidate, but starting today, nobody else has to waste time with this topic. The bottom line is the OEM battery has the power and fits the space. Itcosts a lot more than an SVR-14, so once I measure my own battery box to be sure its the same size (and it will be) I'll compare the SVR-14's dimensions before deciding to go that way and save a bunch of money. Its two ways to win!

This is nice info for you to share!

Can you tell I'm excited!

AlanH said:
No disrespect to therespondents, but what i find humorous and very concerningis that there is notone response from anyone challenging the 210CCA value that i disclosed

[*]
What has been floating and tossed around as a Bench Mark very frequently on theforums and also posted in the Popular Mods and Repairsis 135cca and i would certainly like to know how the author verified this
... i suspect it was taken from an earlier post and not correct info to begin with as are many things.
[*]
When you start interchanging Battery Groups you are not comparing apples and apples in the aftermarket as has been expressed by this writer in pastposts. When you Google YT14B-4 you're not going to get an equiv battery unless you do some research.

[*]
Bottom line, I sent (2) E-mails and placed 1-phone callto GS for confirmation of the CCA and what form of testing they do to validate the numbers. Haven't yet received an answer.[/list]
[*]
Also, checked the later Owner's Manuals for the Roadliner, Stratoliner and Raider bikes on the Yamaha web site for detailed battery info and found nothing at all regarding CCA.[/list]

For what it's worth, i didn't pull out a vernier, dialcaliper or micrometer to measure the battery. What's it matter. I just thought that i would provide accurate info by using a steel rule andtape. Who cares if it's off 0.015" or 0.38mm. There also some foam rubber involved as well.

Now the battery says all over it that it is made in JAPAN and by whom, no mystery or (clearinghouse - we aren't dealing in stocks & bonds)and there is no Interchange for this specific battery on the GS Interchg Sht! ... and Yuasa & GS is no different than Pirelli owning Metzler Tire

FYI, the Yuasa Battery that is exactly the same size & ccaas the GScost $187.00 street price.

My battery is currently over 60 months old (38,241miles) and has resided the first 2 1/2 yrs in MI and the balance here in SoCal. Never used a battery tender when i put it to sleep in MI during the winters although i would take shortrides on occasions when the snow melted and the sun came out.

When it's time to replace the battery i'll buy the Yamaha P/N as it's done me just fine and the street price at $118.96 is worth it IMO.

From day-one I've always been very respectful to the battery to prevent discharge ..... when i don't plan to start the motor but need to turn on the ignition i ALWAYS throw my kill switch so that the fuel pump doesn't boot-up
... I rarely use my kill sw to stop the motor except on a hill and if i do i ALWAYS turn off the ignition key. Many times on a ride i see members walking away from their bike engine off headlight ON

As stated earlier, the battery box detailedphotos with DIM's and photo descriptors are up for viewing if interested.

[*]
http://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157613496336334/[/list]
The earlier information and GS supporting documentaion for the original post i believe to be accurate and true as are my dimensions. If Yamaha is no longer using the GS battery line across the other platforms i would be really surprised. It's certainly an easy task to verify the supplier of your battery w/o much effort. Because i am in the process of doing PM's, i removed the battery to inspect and reviewthe electricalharness and relay components.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
[edit]Forgot to say that news on the output of the oem is great news, and thanks for that...and nowi to i'm wondering about using the svr and all it entails!!

I've posted before about how my battery just turns the girl overeven in the snow... butit does it every time ok - like Alan, i run the warrior come what may forleast half an hour every couple of days in the winter...but as i bought her in June08 i have no way of being sure how old the battery is...do I?

AlanH said:

LOL .. got me and it was so... late.. i didn't edit that, cause i noticed the 'cut out under the cover' and said 'dam it' the + hex bolt sits their, then i noticed the cover cableway underside [is it a cableway and does the bump support the cable?] - and realised the cover will sit down and not touch the battery- hadn't spotted the neg terminal doesn't get the cover over it...this stuff does get the knowledge flowing..and you realise just how good the yami engineers were back in development years to 2001/2002.. i still 'boast' about the advanced stuff on thewarrior, from overturn angle cut out to error displays, to ali chassis!..the warrior is the dogs....[and a lot of what i post] lol

AlanH said:
Shame on you if you can't check my gallery specs for the year

ok...shamed...yes a tad lazy but really just making conversation...i find i'm typing like i'm actually talking, but as you can't see me smiling that doesn't work to well sometimes..

AlanH said:
All battery boxes are created equal when new and it's a myth to think they aren't

On that subject i'm hoping to say 'you're right' but when guys have posted saying they didn't have a bump ...? you have a bump..i have a bump..and that makes it very hard for us to have the 'choice' of fitting an SVR...[although now i know the rating of the oem i not so worried..
]so i'm pleased this topic is back and lets lay the ghosts

It will need a few good men to take the time to measure the battery on their year bike as you've shown to get this done

cheers tom ba

·
Administrator
29,671 Posts
I'm wondering if some of the guys will chime-in who wereinvolved in those conversations where members said they didn't do anything, they just took the oem battery out and the SVR-14 slipped right in. I got to work early this morning, but took a minute for this and need to get back to work.

Maybe some of these guys will chime-in and re-clarify what they did to install the SVR-14. Nothing? Heat? Cut?

I know some of those guys don't want to be bothered and I respect that. At the same time its a good place to start if we are going to understand this to make it easier for other members, who follow later, to buy a battery before the old one actually completelydies. That has value to future members.

Here's the posts that popped up in todays search, in no particular order.

PLEASE add your own search results (post-links or what ever) if you have 'em:

http://rswarrior.com/forums/t/16808.aspx

http://rswarrior.com/forums/t/48380.aspx<

http://rswarrior.com/forums/t/15205.aspx

I would like to do asearch to somehow locate the couple of guys who said very clearly they didn't even have to heat the box to get the SVR-14 in. Lots of us have commented on that for way over a year but I'm not sure how to create that is that specific without knowing the exact words used.It must have been AFTER the summer of 2006 and it was probably the summer of 2007 do you think?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Nice info, Alan. But could ya wind back the clock and post it in the last week of January please?

About 5 days before your post, I dropped about $200(cdn) on an AGM battery similar to the SVR-14. About 10 hours before your post, I cut the "hump" out of the rear of the battery box and glassed it over so my replacement would fit. D'oh!!!

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
dguy said:
About 10 hours before your post, I cut the "hump" out of the rear of the battery box and glassed it over so my replacement would fit. D'oh!!!

Wow..that's exactly why we were hoping to get this 'ere thread sorted..i so didn't want that to happen to me or to you..and i feel your pain dguy..really!!

Having looked back at the mod posts Az put up
i've come to the conclusion that i can't see the wood for the trees ..far too often...[lazy reader] because...

The part of the myth that Alan has 'burst' seems to have arrived way back in Dec'06.. when stats arrived for the stock battery showing 135 CCA and since then i like many here, ran with the chinese whisper..and thought the stocker was a dud,...and that made everyone want to jump ship on the stock batteries....but....

If i'd paid more attention to Teck on 16 Oct 08 and 12 Nov 08.. i'd have seen that he clearly confirms the stockers are in fact 210 CCA as has been confirmed here by Alan

Add to this that numerous guys including Alan and Az, who have found a 'cared forstocker' has itlasts close to 5 years life in it...that doesn't seem to me to be bad value whatever it cost..?

So i'm choosing to buya stocker when my one looks close to death..not modding my box, and moving on..

Now as always we are a family [and its not aboutjust sorting myself out here] - so ifi can help guys who need evenoomph to turn over those high comp pistons..then i'm all for that...and so far having read just about the entire site [felt like it]...it's definately the guys with '02 bikes that are having an easier timeof fitting the SVR,and the majority of replies of big mods to fit it came from '03 guys...i can't geta handle on the other years yet...[the mystery]

I still think it's a great idea to get the box measures done and added to the stats, as you guys have always done..there can't be a better organised bike group who know there bikes inside out... than right here..right now..

The Mods post site is awesome..
Az

·
Administrator
29,671 Posts
I agree with you Tom (Tomba) you've noticed a trend and now that you mention itI think its right and should be investigated by model year, you've changed my mind on that brother.

Plus a lot of the guys who went with high compression pistons like the aftermarket batteries but since the oem has 210cca I wonder if there's yet more to be discovered about this topic? Yes I agree its a good idea to figure that out. If installing hi-comp pistons wears down the oem battery but not the aftermarket batteries they have selected, what's the story there?

For my part, when I see my battery is coming to its end, I plan to shop the OEM and the SVR-14, and make a buying decision based on some reasonable price. Based on this new information,I'm probably willing to pay a small amount more for the OEM - but we will see when the time comes.

·
Administrator
29,671 Posts
On the one hand that sucks, on the other hand you modded the bike! May I ask what battery you went with and how it turned out? Do you notice and constraints on the battery cable with the bump gone? Any observations will be appreciated!

dguy said:
Nice info, Alan. But could ya wind back the clock and post it in the last week of January please?

About 5 days before your post, I dropped about $200(cdn) on an AGM battery similar to the SVR-14. About 10 hours before your post, I cut the "hump" out of the rear of the battery box and glassed it over so my replacement would fit. D'oh!!!

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
I was the one that originally posted on the svr-14 battery. My manual claims the stock battery is a GT14B-4

There is no myth, the specifications changed after the merger of Yuasa and GS which appears to be 2007. Most of the internet still clamis that the GT14B-4 is a 135 cca except for GS. I found the following that lead me fo believe things changed with the merger. Now, the only myth left for me is what's the true CCA, did it change or is somebody measuring it differently. Having used both the svr and the stock Yuasa, there is no question there is a difference between the two. I just wonder if there still is. Q:

What's the difference between a YT14B-4, GT14B-4 or 12V14B-4 motorcycle battery?

Apparently, these are all different kinds of batteries, but I can't
figure out what, if any, difference there is among them? (3 answers

- asked 20 months ago)

A: GS GT14B-4 210?CCA = common OEM battery; aftermarket WestCo 12V14B-4 & Yuasu YT14B-4

East Penn ETX14-BS 200CCA (wider width with similar specs)
GS-Ztong Yee GT14B-4 210?CCA (common OEM motorcycle battery)
WestCo 12V14B-4 135CCA
Yuasu YT14B-4 135CCA
are all similar motorcycle batteries
(meant to go into the same motorcycles)

GS & Yuasa merged.
GT14B-4 & Yuasu YT14B-4 are supposed to be identical,
but there have been minor specification differences
(CCA = Cold Cranking Amps).

1 - 20 of 78 Posts