RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I need a new battery for my horse (‘05 Warrior). This will be my third battery. The last one cracked open. I’m look for a good performance battery. Something like an Optima red top but for motorcycles. Anyone come across anything unique in their travels or something revolutionary as far as the battery goes? Always open to suggestions.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
There is the Odyssey batteries and the lithium ion Shorai, which is what i have. The Shorai battery takes a special charger for charging but i think it's worth it for what you get.

·
Administrator
28,594 Posts
The Shorai LFX18A1-BS12 in March 2014, and I use the Shorai SHO-BMS01 Charger. It still spins the motor incredibly fast, and has survived hot summers and frozen winters (garaged) better than any previous battery. Today there are a couple other lithium batteries out there. But Shorai's smart charger is elegant and advanced. The set is expensive but its a no-brainer imho.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just ordered the Shorai LFX18A1-BS12. Will plan to order the charger for it next month. Thanks for all the input and advice. May cost a
little more now but after going through 3 batteries, this would have been the cheaper option a while back.

Have a good one and stay frosty.

·
Administrator
28,594 Posts
You'll find that Lithium acts differently. It will spin the motor faster. And for a cold start on a cold day you bump the start button once for two seconds then pause, and that by nature heats the battery so it will spin-up on the second bump. When warmer it will simply start on the first bump.

The charger instructions are clear if you read closely. Don't assume anything because its not an old fashioned battery. Used correctly the Shorai battery charger will independently top-off each individual battery cell to 100%. And Lithium can go almost dead and still recover on the Shorai charger. Its amazing. None of the other Lithium batteries are wired for the independent charge capability, and the other chargers will fall short there too, so the Shorai charger is key. Those of us around here who have the full kit have awesome success, and we get to smile at how quick the beast starts. Read-up when you get the charger. Pay good attention to how to enter Charge Mode and/or Store Mode. You can leave it in Store Mode for long timeframes with zero loss. And the thing is smaller and lighter. Cool stuff.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Lithium and dont look back. Creates a little extra space under the seat too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts