RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, i went to a local Yammi dealer (Yamaha City) with the full intention of playing the 'dumb' role to guage their knowledge of the recall. its not the dealer that i bought the bike from- theyre a bunch of azzholes, but its Yammi nonetheless.

anyway, i grab a service dude and tell him i have an '03 Warrior and his expression went to a 'sad' look, lol. he said "you know you have a recall, right?" and i replied yes. we shot the chit for a few mins and i asked him how many recalls they have done and he told me of 10 that he knows for sure, but could be much more. he told me that its not a 'major' job in that it basic removal and replacement of parts- no machining or anything like that. anyway, i then asked him if there were any mods that i could do while it was apart (high comp pistons!) and he said "well, call Orient Express. they have a hop-up kit with some high compression pistons that we can throw in while its apart. thatll save you some serious labor if you ever planned on getting it done."

well- there was MUCH more conversation and it ended with him telling me that he has something like 22 kits on back-order and to expect a call within a few months. all in all, im alot more at ease about this. ****, i would NEVER think to have pistons installed. this may be a blessing in disguise. [/emoticons/emotion-5.gif]

my HD buddies will have to play catch-up even harder now! [^]

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
my dealer was the same way i went therer yesterday and they said dont worry we've done recalls on many bikes and that these are not very complicated , and that they understood my concern though!

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Nice story, you should send this topic to members that are nervous, want a class action lawsuit, a crate motor, have no faith in Yami techs etc etc etc. Honestly not trying to flame those guys, it is good to hear these types of communications and it might ease them a little (if possible).
My experience so far with my dealer sounds similar to you and yours. I am still riding, and will make a 500 mile trip this week.

·
Registered
8,222 Posts
Talked to my local dealer the other day & he said I could bring in just the motor. I asked if I could bring in just the gears, he said he couldn't do it that way so I suggested bringing in the two shafts with the gear clusters assembled. He would do it that way & I could wait while they were changed out. Works for me.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Canada. -phuging 40 with the windchill a mere -30 without it. I hate anyone and everyone who's going for a 500 mile run.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
anyone know what new pistons entail? is it merely buying new ones and dropping them in? any machining involved? do rings come with the pistons?

as much as i think i know about the internals of a motor, i dont know shiit!

help!

·
Registered
785 Posts
Church has a great idea, I think Ill ask a dealer if I can bring in the motor or parts! That would alleviate my only valid concern, dinging up the new paint, pipes, etc (****, Ive done it myself). Way to go Woody, you set the precedent, hopefully other dealers will follow the lead!

·
Registered
8,222 Posts
The dealer will really make out if the parts are carried in. Wasn't it 9 hours labor they are getting for the complete job from Yamaha?. My guy said he would give me all the gaskets & parts that came with the kit from Yamaha & thats a good deal as none of it is cheap.

·
Registered
22,677 Posts
copper, you can buy the standard bore high compression pistons and those are drop-ins. If you want to get more displacement, there will be some machining involved. Pistons come with rings.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
nope- just looking for the 'drop in'/least amt of major work entailed.

thanks guys!

also, how much are they?

·
Registered
22,677 Posts
I think I've seen the standard bore pistons for under $300, and your shop should not charge you any extra labor to have that done during the recall work. If they try to, tell them you're going somewhere else because they're trying to screw you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts