RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Snap goes my drive belt. I had set up the tension,as per instruction found on the 4m, but the bike is new to me and who knows what was done for the previous 12 k miles.So I pick-up a Gates Poly Chain,the good.What? I need to pull the swing arm! Crap,I am missing some of the best ridding weather we have had all year,the bad. Sooo I havehada little oil weeping from the drive pulley from day one and now might be the time to check it out.I set the torque last spring at 125 ft.lbs. with no help with the leak. I pull the drive pulley and find the O-ring on the wrong side of the spacer & the spacer on bassackwords, the Ugly.New parts haven't landed as of today. the weather is still bitchen...Thanks to AllenH for the post on the O-ring check as I would have just checked and replaced the chevron seal and not fixed the leak....Got to go..I think I hear my UPS man...

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Well, atleast you found the problem. If it wasn't for this forum I would have wasted plenty of money at the stealership. Good luck dude!

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
You don't have to fully remove the swing arm to replace the belt. Just the axel like bolt, and leave it atttached the the shock and spring. Once that and the wheel is removed, plus a couple support bolt behind the pulley cover, you can drop the swing arm down and fish the new belt into place.

·
Registered
7,926 Posts
Dice said:
You don't have to fully remove the swing arm to replace the belt. Just the axel like bolt, and leave it atttached the the shock and spring. Once that and the wheel is removed, plus a couple support bolt behind the pulley cover, you can drop the swing arm down and fish the new belt into place.

+1

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dice said:

Yes, I did see that way of doing it. However just one more bolt and a couple of clamps got the hole enchilada.inspected and cleaned down the swing arm. I had the time and you don't know what U might find until U look.

·
Administrator
29,923 Posts
You might want to read and re-read the belt tightening procedure in the SERVICE manual. Its got a couple little steps some guys seem to skip over, like you might need to have a rider's weight in the seat to set up the belt right. That tidbit always makes me wonder how the shop adjusts customer's belts. Maybe they use some 'average' weight.

[Added December 26th 2011: see the set-up update in the Technical link under my signature picture]

[Added October 30th 2008: (below) :( I'll add this to a new post at the bottom too]

If you use a yamaha spring gauge then follow the instructions in the service manual (or owners manual) and its less important to have a rider's weight on the bike, however some very competent members still recommend using the rider's weight. Examples are:

http://rswarrior.com/forums/t/9942.aspx
http://rswarrior.com/forums/t/23362.aspx
http://rswarrior.com/forums/t/17539.aspx

Keep in mind that, like all bikes and cars, the Warrior has a load capacity. Versus a bone-stock bike, the total load of rider passenger luggage and accessories is 408#. By following all the manual directions plus having even a partial rider's weight on the bike, you put the belt slack into its operating range in the real world. Some, not all, of us believe we want the belt to be slightly tighter rather than slightly looser. But if its too tight, the front pulley bearing may fail or it may start to leak fluid. If its too loose, the 'snap' of on-coming torque is likely to shock-load the belt and break it clean in two. Members who had that happen found that NOT putting a rider's weight on the bike has the effect of loosening the belt once they sit on the bike. Candidly, I go back and forth between slightly tight or slightly loose depending on what kind of riiding I'm doing, so now I strive for right-on-the-money tension because it covers both types of riding.

There are a lot of variable here. For example, if you have an Eibach 1,000# rear spring then your bike won't lower as much when you sit on it. Riders who don't do burn-outs have less to worry about and probably don't need to worry about a rider's weight.

There are lots of opinions on this, you decide what is best. Plus do your own search on this forum for more thoughts.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Arizona Warrior said:
You might want to read and re-read the belt tightening procedure in the SERVICE manual. Its got a couple little steps some guys seem to skip over, like you need to have a rider's weight in the seat to set up the belt right. That tidbit always makes me wonder how the shop adjusts customer's belts. Maybe they use some 'average'weight.

Thanks Arizona, as per my first post,I have and did adjusts the belt with My weight .Yep all 210 lbs. I can tell U right out of the box the Gates Poly Chain is an improvement over the stock yamaha belt. We will see now how much abuse it can take......

·
Administrator
29,923 Posts
I'm glad to hear you followed all the service manual steps including weight on the bike. These belts are $$$.

warriordude said:
Arizona Warrior said:
You might want to read and re-read the belt tightening procedure in the SERVICE manual. Its got a couple little steps some guys seem to skip over, like you need to have a rider's weight in the seat to set up the belt right. That tidbit always makes me wonder how the shop adjusts customer's belts. Maybe they use some 'average'weight.
Thanks Arizona, as per my first post,I have and did adjusts the belt with My weight .Yep all 210 lbs. I can tell U right out of the box the Gates Poly Chain is an improvement over the stock yamaha belt. We will see now how much abuse it can take......

·
Administrator
29,923 Posts
I PM'd you a topic update.

warriordude said:
Arizona Warrior said:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts