post-race test in Portugal. Spies immediately proved he’ll be a force
to be reckoned with next year, posting a Day 1 time of 1’44”—the
fastest time of the day and among those of the top riders in the
previous day’s race (this on the 2008 version that Nori Haga and Troy Corser
had raced, and on Spies’ first day riding a Yamaha, Pirelli tires,
Ohlins suspension, and the Portuguese track). For Day 2, Spies switched
to the big-bang 2009 R1, with which he just squeaked under the 1’44”
barrier.

Spies was saying that the big-bang R1 sounds much like the M1 in MotoGP - that might be reason enough to get one.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I heard that MOTO GP might tell yamaha to take off their electrionic tunded suspention which Ducati feels gives them (Yamaha) a slight advantage, maybe Super Bike will follow next? GO AMA

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
overheadcam427 said:
Is this "big-bang" engine in the R1 similar in concept to the Honda NSR500?

Was the NSR500 one of the bikes with the oval pistons and dual cranks? I didn't look it up... Here is the Big Bang in a nut shell:

The first time a big bang engine has been used on a production bike, Yamaha is calling it “Crossplane Technology” and it puts each connecting rod 90º from the next, meaning the cylinders fire at 270°- 180°- 90°- 180°. This spreads out the power pulses to the rear tire, allowing it to regain traction in between each pulse. The result is more usable traction under large throttle openings, meaning riders will be able to accelerate out of corner earlier and harder.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Next year will be an interesting season in World Superbike. Im excited to see Spies in there and how the BMW and Aprillia bikes can do. But I think it will be a real good season for Haga on the Ducati. I am also looking forward to seeing Hayden on the Ducati in MOTO GP.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
The new R1 also has forks with seperate dampening circuts. The right leg handles rebound and the left compression similar to the M1's fork.And the diecast magnesium subframe and swing arm are new too. It's also got an electronic steering dampener.

All that and the cross plane crank should make it smoke next season. The cross plane crank doesn't give more power ,just makes it more manageable and gets traction better when exiting a corner.

GP bikes use GPS to adjust mapping in different portions of the track. No wonder those guys are so fast....they get the trick ***.

Can't wait till 09 to see more racin'.

·
Registered
665 Posts
whitefeather said:
I heard that MOTO GP might tell yamaha to take off their electrionic tunded suspention which Ducati feels gives them (Yamaha) a slight advantage, maybe Super Bike will follow next? GO AMA

Isn't this the same Ducati that built a bike with a larger engine than allowed by the FIM in WSBK and them threatened to withdrawl if the FIM didn't change the rules at the last minute to allow them to use a larger bike? Probably a little bitterness considering they ended up winning the campionship with a bigger bike...

They have no right to complain about a well tuned suspension. Seriously though, Yamaha's biggest advantage in GP is Rossi. Stoner is a great racer, and Hayden will be a wonderful asset to the team, but there is a reason that Rossi is one of the most successful racers in history, and he hasn't always been on a Yamaha.

Man I want one of the new R1s

1 - 11 of 11 Posts