RS Warrior Forum banner

Best battery?

10K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  chris_tx 
#1 ·
Hi all, I'm in the need of a new battery and was wondering what brand/type of battery people prefer. Please post comments about what u like and what to stay away from.... Thanks!

Ross

#4 ·
There's a couple of in-depth battery threads listed in Tomba's Popular Mods thread, scroll down to Batteries. Plus there's a couple recent threads evaluating the Lithium Iron batteries that Arkansas mentioned, they are a bit more money but have advantages.

#7 ·
I just bought the same battery for mine, 348 CCA's, as well as a Shorai for the MT-01, 270 CCA's. Batterystuff.com

So far, so good....both bikes turn over like crazy, even with sub zero temps and cold 20w50 oil in both. I ended up using some left over foam from the Shorai to boost up the Scorpion, as it's about 0.5" shorter than the Shorai.

#6 ·
I just bought a Bikemaster AGM battery. works great. Cant trickle it with the chargers we are used to, but doesnt need it for weekly/monthly down time. You would need a full size charger like diehard, that trickles AGM batterys. You would only need to trickle it for winter storage or lengthy storage longer than 4 months they state. weighs about the same as lead acid, $90 shipped.

#9 ·
I put a Shorai in my Warrior just this week. I've had one in my CRF450X for a few years and I love it. Holds a charge forever and will spin the motor noticeably faster at crank. Plus the weight and space savings is great, I can stick a small pelican or otter box in the leftover space for extra sealed storage.

#10 ·
check this thread on scorpion that is curently posted

http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/20-product-reviews/196329-scorpion-battery-batterystuff-com.html

I believe if you go with a lithium battery you have to get a trickle charger specific to lithium batteries as the usual trickle chargers will not work you would need to compare the expected life of a lithium compared to the life of a regular battery like a scorpion and then see if it is cost effective considering the cost of a charger as well

#17 ·
It's a expensive battery so I bought the charger to go with it. You need a charger that's designed to charge these types of batteries. Plan on spending around $170 for the battery and another $80 on the charger. The shoari is a smaller battery as well which I found to be very beneficial, I put my pc3 in the battery box on top of it really cleaned things up under the seat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

#19 · (Edited)
It seems that Shorai is the preferred battery, but some of us have purchased the Battery Tender BTL14A240C and have had good success including myself.

https://www.amazon.com/BTL14A240C-L...TF8&qid=1523571039&sr=8-1&keywords=BTL14A240C

View attachment 207105

I recently bought and installed this same battery (BTL14A240C). Now with hi-comp pistons it struggles a bit, at least on mine. If you pull up to some place and hit your kill switch thinking you're done and then have to restart your bike, you can most likely count on having to totally shut off your bike (key) and start again so the headlight doesn't come on. I was going to get my bike inspected and did the same... wouldn't start until I killed the headlight. A little embarrassing. I was wondering if the BTL24A360C might be a better choice for hi-comp. I don't know enough about the battery tender ones yet. My previous was the shorai and I had no issues with it cranking over my motor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.