RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at sportbikes a lot lately. I think I'm going to pick one up sometime this summer. I'm 6'2" and 225 lbs. My question is, what does everyone think is the best bike out there now. I've been looking at the gsx-r 750 and the R1. I'm leaning more towards the 750...

·
Registered
11,588 Posts
If your gonna buy new get the 2009 R1. Cross plain cam shaft makes it feel like a twin down low and inline 4 up top. Awesome bike. Have you thought about a naked bike like the Aprilia Tuono.. Great bikes. I just picked up a 2006 R1 LE. Haven't been allowed to ride it yet... 12" of snow on the ground.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I'm a pretty huge fan of the new CBR1000RR. Honda really went above and beyond anything they'd previously made and actually produced an aggressive literbike that's a whole lot of fun to ride and even more fun to throw around some canyons or race tracks.

·
Registered
11,588 Posts
That 08 CBR is the ugliest sport bike ever made by Honda but I have to agree. Its the best handling Jap bike out there..

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The triumph speed triple is a sexy bike, I just don't think it's what I'm looking for. I think I want to stay with one of the big four, just not sure which one. I'll be riding on the streets alot, with an occasional visit to the strip and track.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
bradley.peters said:
I think I want to stay with one of the big four, just not sure which one.

You are saying Japanese made? Suzuki has a good rep. If not spend $15K and get the BMW. (But don't buy the jumpsuit they all wear.)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Honda...so yes. I'll most likely buy used to save a little cash too. I'm thinking the 1000cc will be the best fit. My cousin has a 600rr and it feels a little small to me. Out of those 4, i like the looks of both the yamaha and suzuki. As far as performance goes, they are all pretty equal aren't they?

·
Registered
11,588 Posts
The speed triple is great to look at but if your north of 6 feet you won't like it. They should have made the swing arm 2" longer too. That thing is always on the back wheel. Ducati is an expensive to maintain bike but cool. I am thinking about getting the streetfighter when it comes out.
bradley.peters said:
The triumph speed triple is a sexy bike, I just don't think it's what I'm looking for. I think I want to stay with one of the big four, just not sure which one. I'll be riding on the streets alot, with an occasional visit to the strip and track.

·
Registered
11,588 Posts
I buy and sell atleast one bike every year and do most of it on ebay and cycle trader. With the economy the way it is you can get a smoking deal on a used bike if you have the cash. Alot of times if its out of state you can ask on the forum if someone will go look at it for you. Ed (Darkstar) had Dan check his out and store it for a while for him last year.. Good people on this site.

http://shop.ebay.com/items/__yamaha-r1_W0QQQ5ftrkparmsZ72Q253A1171Q257C66Q253A2Q257C65Q253A12Q257C39Q253A1QQ_dmptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQ_sopZ3QQ_scZ1

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
there definitely are some amazing deals out there now! i'll have to remember that when i find the right bike. i'm trying to decide if i like the r1 or gsx-r 1000 better...tough decision

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
bradley.peters said:
i'm trying to decide if i like the r1 or gsx-r 1000 better...tough decision

No it's not. Depending on the year model you are looking for. The '07 GSXR1k is by far the best sportbike made. The R1 is sexier and is better in the corners. But the GSXR is hands down faster.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I just picked up a 98' cbr900rr @ 919cc's I'm still working on it and havent had the chance to ride yet because of the weather hear in michigan, but I'm 6'5" 240lbs and it seams to fit me pretty good.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
i just picked up a 98 CBR900RR for $500. it was a basket case and was missing quite a few parts, but thanks to Ebay and craiglistI will have a complete bike with many custom parts and paint for less than 2,000. with only 17,000 miles this bike will easily sell for $3500 once the spring buying rush is on. The moral of this story is that if your willing to get your hand dirty you can get some really good deals especially in michigan of any other cold state in the winter.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
is there a big difference in the handling? i'm betting that both bikes will be fast enough for me. i'llprobably go ride both and go with the one that feels better

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Any modern sportbike, 600cc and up, is going to be more than enough for you, especially if you are new to sportbikes. A modern litre bike is overkill for the street and speed differences between any of them will be minimal. Go look at all of them you can, sit on them and get a feel for how they "fit" you and make a decision from there. I have owned a bunch of sportbikes and after spending the past 2 years riding them on the racetrack only I can say you can't go wrong with any newer sportbike regardless of displacement.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Find yourself a dealer that will let you test ride a few..... I still find myself wanting something with most of the 600s, A lot of riders really get a kick outa having to keep the tack at 14,000 and the 600s make em happier than a pig in _ _ _ _ but, I really like the larger bores grunt. You don't need to ride a 1k as technically and fast is a little more laid back on a 1000. On a 1000 the 2-3 mph lost in a hairpin is gathered up pretty quickly in a straight. Mind you that the 1000s are a bigger workout on the track.... You will end your day a lot sorer than on the lighter 600 and by the same nature the 1k is pretty willin to bite back when your not lookin....

I know that it's outside the BIG 4 that your interested in but... Take a look at the KTMs, that's what's got my eye right now anyway.....

Good Luck and be safe!

B.C.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have an 07 cbr1000rr and it is an incredible machine my wife has an 03 cbr 600rr and that is a blast to ride also if your taller then 6' then go with the 1000,little extra room but both are more then enough power for any street situation not to many chances to do 186mph good luck there are plenty of deals out there right now

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
My younger brother's big into the sport bikes. He had a '99 CBR 900RR and it was a blast!!!!! He traded fora CBR600 (2004??)and it's just as fun!! I didn't noticemuch difference butI only rode them a few times. His buddy does a lot of trick riding and says the 600's are great. Nice and light so you can through your weight around on them, and are very quick. Sh!t any sport bike will haul @ss to 150mph so why not save some $$$$ on insurancealso by sticking with the 600cc. Here's a pic of his current 600 (which he's selling for the new style 600). Keep us posted on what you get!

P.S. I love the look of the R1's personally

1 - 20 of 33 Posts