RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2008 warrior is putting out blue smoke. Can't afford mechanic any suggestions on how to repair or what is wrong?

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
little more info please. when does it smoke? just at start up? everytime you start it or just when its cold? while idling or also when riding? how much smoke are we talking? a poof or is it leaving a smoke screen behind you? dies it smell like gas or like something burt?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When first cranked I have none or very little smoke but as it warms the smoke starts too role. Have not rode since issue has started just crank and let idle, smoke is blue in color. Not really a big gas smell, more of a burnt smell.

·
Registered
97 Posts
So, blue smoke usually is burning oil. I am not an expert, but often two chief sources are piston rings or value guides. I am not sure if there are other ways for oil to be introduced into the combustion chamber. Someone with more experience on the matter will contribute before long. It would probably be a good idea to have compression checked.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
How long have you had this bike and what is its history? Did you recently change the oil or add oil to it? The warrior has very specific steps for checking the oil level.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
For continuity of anyone searching this thread here's the link to checking the oil properly.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I talked with the OP via direct message and when he pulled the dipstick on the bike cold it's halfway up the stick. sounds like he's definitely over full.

Reactions: arizonawarrior

·
Administrator
30,091 Posts
Suggest also pulling one spark plug from each jug to get an idea of severity. First, stop by a parts store and get a half dozen 12mm spark plug crush washer gaskets. Aluminum is fine. Or copper. But avoid the plastics. Fresh crush washers help avoid stripping the aluminum head thread when tightening the steel threaded spark plugs. Also if your bike has the stock intake silencer-airbox on top, remove the undertank air filter and wipe-out any oil inside with clean rags.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It was running good but I took it and had a tune up and that's when it started. Im not blaming the mechanic, but its peculiar.
How long have you had this bike and what is its history? Did you recently change the oil or add oil to it? The warrior has very specific steps for checking the oil level.
If I lost my bike run for a while instead of riding it can I still drop the oil and change it, or do I need to ride it before I do?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The mechanic I took my bike to put way too much oil in it now it smokes like a log wagon, an I simply drain the oil or is there anything else I need to do to correct issue?

·
Super Moderator
5,832 Posts
You can pull some out with a long turkey baster.

Reactions: Sandytows

·
Registered
Yamaha XV1700 Roadstar Warrior
792 Posts
Running the engine before draining out any oil risks damaging stuff..
so get the oil out 1st and then add the recommended amount.. and then run it to check the level

·
Administrator
30,091 Posts
You also need to clean-up the under-tank black box. Pull the top fuel tank and remove the unded-tank air filter. The motor pumps vent-overflow motor oil into that airbox. If you don't clean it out then it will linger a long time.

If your bike doesn't have that undertank airbox installed anymore then follow the hose off the top of the rear jug's valve cover to see where vented motor oil is going.

Last thing is to pull one plug from each jug to see if any oil markings exist.

Doing these things might lead you elsewhere for a solution to the smoke issue. Or might solve it. And its free. Except for fresh 12mm spark plug crush washers.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Mine was overfilled by 1-1/2 qts when I got it last year.
I used a turkey baister to suck up oil out of the oil tank.
I took out 1 qt then rode a bit and checked for proper level when hot, still too much.
Took out 1/2 qt more, rode, checked. All good.
Off you take out too much you can always add more, no harm.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I also thought they must have only drained 1 drain, either tank or engine and filled like an empty system.
I'm also concerned they drained the final drive by mistake, so I have what I need to check and fill it if necessary.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts