RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I’m new to this forum and honestly a very clueless rider. I got my warrior back in august 2019. Unfortunately today I ran into quite the doozy of a problem. I was riding home in the rain on a small ride with my dad. When I was about 5 miles from home, I noticed an audible change in the way my bike sounded. Kind of like how it sounds as you’re about to stall. I also noticed a significant lack of power. As I came up to a stop sign the bike killed as soon as it hit about 2500 rpm and the check engine light came on. I managed to get the bike to start again but only if I was revving it high and KEPT the rpm up. Pretty much above 3k. The bike wouldn’t idle at all as far as I could tell. As I was going through a particularly sharp corner the bike stalled and locked the back tire. Causing me to almost dump my bike. I managed to limp it home and that’s about where I’m at, at this point. Like I said I’m a very clueless rider when it comes to fixing anything. But if anyone could give me even a slight idea on what is happening I would greatly appreciate it!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also should mention, I don’t think the check engine light STAYED on after I got it to start again.

·
Administrator
28,597 Posts
Welcome aboard, sorry to hear of these troubles. May I ask what model year your Warrior is and if you know if any of the earlier recalls apply to yours? Tap: Total Recall

Separate, was it heavy rain? You could check the condition of the primary coil wires going from the bike to the coils. Stock coils have female slide-on connectors be careful to not bend the male spades when pushing back on.

Do you know if your bike still has the undertank silencer/airbox and if yes do you know if the little backwards-facing cover is still there (it also keeps rain out of that air filter). If heavy rain, maybe water got into the intakes (but it would take a lot).

Also regarding rain. The battery box also shares a relay box and if its drain is plugged then that battery/relay box can fill with water meaning some electrical bits may be at risk.

There is an e-copy of the service manual with supplements. Tap the link below my sigpic. When at target, scroll to top post. Notice links grouped, one is Technical Bits. Tap that. The manual is there, plus a bunch of other material. Having that manual will help us to help you.

·
Registered
636 Posts
The thing i always check in situation like this is; do all the plugs spark, my previous bike has had a couple of bad coils and the symptoms are similar to yours... also always check the easiest things 1st..
good luck.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome aboard, sorry to hear of these troubles. May I ask what model year your Warrior is and if you know if any of the earlier recalls apply to yours? Tap: Total Recall

Separate, was it heavy rain? You could check the condition of the primary coil wires going from the bike to the coils. Stock coils have female slide-on connectors be careful to not bend the male spades when pushing back on.

Do you know if your bike still has the undertank silencer/airbox and if yes do you know if the little backwards-facing cover is still there (it also keeps rain out of that air filter). If heavy rain, maybe water got into the intakes (but it would take a lot).

Also regarding rain. The battery box also shares a relay box and if its drain is plugged then that battery/relay box can fill with water meaning some electrical bits may be at risk.

There is an e-copy of the service manual with supplements. Tap the link below my sigpic. When at target, scroll to top post. Notice links grouped, one is Technical Bits. Tap that. The manual is there, plus a bunch of other material. Having that manual will help us to help you.
It wasn’t heavy rain just like a light mist. Unfortunately like I said I’m pretty clueless and not sure about any of those parts.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How many miles on the bike, was there popping or back firing, any work done recently?

Rudy Jeremias (rij1)
Yes there was work done but it was before winter. I had the recall done on the pickup coil. I think that was the only recall for my model. It’s a 2005

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just ran some diagnostics on it. When doing the diagnostic 3 (pressure difference 1) where you have to crank it, the bike will kind of reset it self. I tried a few times and one of the times it said er_4 which is apparently something with the ecu link? Could this just be due to some modifications on the bike? Also found some soot in the exhaust port and after starting the bike for just a minute seemed there was a small amount of smoke coming out. When I start it it smells pretty strongly of exhaust/gas. Hope this helps clear up the issue? Any other ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
I do not know of the diagnostics you speak of. Are you using the internal ECU ones, where you disconnect the fuel pump? No cranking involved. It should show you codes if anything is failing. Search this forum, you should find out how to do this. Hope this helps!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts