RS Warrior Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I believe I have tried everything else that has been discussed at this point. Looks like I will be picking up another battery tomorrow to see if that does anything. I will let you guys know what happens. I really appreciate the help. If you can think of anything else to try, please let me know. I’m going to tinker with it a little bit more tonight before giving up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
It cranks when I press the start button. I can hear a compression sound from the exhaust, like I might normally hear right before it would fire up before. I do not, however, hear the fuel pump come on when I turn the key on. I can hear a relay click, but no pump. Should I hear an audible pump? That’s one of those things you don’t think about when it’s working normally. I checked all fuses under the seat with my test light and all seem to be good.

·
Administrator
28,155 Posts
Battery is at 12.9 per my Bosch voltmeter. I pulled the tank again and verified the connections and vacuum locations. The check engine light is staying illuminated. The codes I said I was getting are what shows up when I go to the 61 diag tab. It cycles through all of those. If I go to 62, it displays 12.
What does the battery drop down to when start button is pushed.

13.4v is 100% charge as you know. The ecu transformer receiving full voltage outputs 5vdc for the sensor array. 12.8v should be inside the range needed to get 5v. But that does not allow for voltage drop. For me, the new battery is still suspect until metered during start.

The ecu area you are working-in lists all codes for history. It lists codes that happened at some point even if no longer being generated. Any codes currently being generated during starting will be displayed on the gauge and the CEL will be triggered. Don't use key to turn off. Use handlebar kill switch and watch gauge for output.

If you feel certain these things are good-to-go and you feel certain everything looks and sounds normal when pressing start button, let us know.

I don't have any other suggestions based on your posts. I would not buy yet another new battery until metering current battery voltage drop at start.

·
Administrator
28,155 Posts
It cranks when I press the start button. I can hear a compression sound from the exhaust, like I might normally hear right before it would fire up before. I do not, however, hear the fuel pump come on when I turn the key on. I can hear a relay click, but no pump. Should I hear an audible pump? That’s one of those things you don’t think about when it’s working normally. I checked all fuses under the seat with my test light and all seem to be good.
Our posts are overlapping. Sorry!

The fuel pump will pressurize the fuel rails when needed. It does not happen every time. Sometimes you will hear the LCV open for cold start. Sometimes you will hear the decompression solenoid act maybe.

You can verify fuel is spraying by pulling all four spark plug wire boots off the plugs so it will not start, then pull a plug and test start while listening and smelling for raw fuel. Don't get your face too close in case vapors find an ignition source. Its embarrassing!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Battery is still sitting at a static 12.9 and drops to 11.2 during cranking. I took a picture of what my gauges look like with just the key on.
I can’t turn it off with the kill switch, since I can’t actually start it.

·
Administrator
28,155 Posts
Before I forget, your gauge displays Trip F so your top tank is empty and the bottom tank hopefully has fuel.

The bike will start with the top tank removed, but I do not know if you tried to start it that way. In case vacuum has developed inside the installed top tank, you can just open the fuel filler door. This will take tank-vacuum off the table.

I have my book open. Back in a minute.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I’m not sure why it’s showing top tank is empty. It is all the way full, actually. Another bit of info, if it matters, is that the CEL is solid with key on but flashes when trying to crank.

·
Administrator
28,155 Posts
I’m not sure why it’s showing top tank is empty. It is all the way full, actually. Another bit of info, if it matters, is that the CEL is solid with key on but flashes when trying to crank.
Just being careful here:

Is it flashing 8 times then pause and repeat?

Or is it flashing only while pressing start?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
If you are referring to having the key on and then turning the kill switch off then I can confirm that no codes appear. The gauge cluster only looks like it did in the picture I sent.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Once, after a wash, my motorcycle began to junk on the go. Twitch, stall for a short while. After half an hour in the city, he completely died out. The “check engine” lamp lit. The starter was spinning, but there was no fuel. I didn’t hear the gas pump either. But it turned out this:

The insulation of the wires was frayed by the walls of the stock electrical box. There were mistakes, but everyone pointed anything other. None of it mentioned the fuel pump. A year before, I was busy with wiring, doing something, and maybe I didn’t correctly lay part of the line. So she suffered.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts