RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had a set of aftermarket mirrors on my bike for about 4 years, starting with both left and right mirrors. In the first week the left mirror sheared off from the bolt which attaches to the handle bar (not the bolt which attaches to the mirror itself) so I think I just overtorqued it and the vibrations of the bike finished the job. The right mirror lasted up until the point some asshat backed into my bike and knocked it over onto it's right side while the bike was parked, but that mirror only partially broke and then lasted another year before it too fell off while I was riding down the street.

So after 6 months of not having any mirrors I finally got around to installing some new "Bikemaster" flame mirrors which my GF got me for christmas.

While installing the first one on the right I was tightening the mirror to the handle bar bolt and was in the process of snugging it up when the dreaded play and easy movement followed ... great, take it off look at it and sure enough the **** threads are stripped (this is the threads on the mirror itself which attach to the mounting bolt) - ok sure I'm stupid and just muscled it too much ... good thing she got me two mirrors. So for the next one I barely tighten so it's snug hoping that I won't strip these threads. Next day I'm out and mirror is working on the city roads, get on the highway and sure enough mirror spins towards me because it's not tight enough on the mounting bolt.

So while riding I push it back in place and try to snug it up - same ****, threads strip - are you f#$Kng kidding me? this is complete crap, I'm calling up the retailer to see if I can get my money back or something.

Mirrors are like the easiest thing, why is it so hard to make a pair that doesn't suck!

OK venting aside, am I just crazy and doing all the wrong things here?

does anyone have a brand of mirrors that they like and don't suck and brake during install?

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have a feeling I might be in your boat soon... I just bought a pair of these and installed them:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Krator-Diamond-Twist-Black-Chrome-Motorcycle-Mirrors-For-Yamaha-Road-Star-Warrior-Midnight-XV/151327272
I haven't had her out for a ride yet though. Now I'm wondering if they are the same as yours?

I picked these because they have two screws in the back whereby you can tighten them on the ball joint to ensure they don't flop down due to vibration. I did read a couple of the reviews said the threads stripped. I cranked down on them pretty hard though and they didn't strip. I used blue loctite on the threads to attempt to keep them from coming loose.

Question: Did your mirrors come with a locking nut like the OEM mirrors? Or did you have to keep tightening them until the mirror was in the correct location (rotation)?

As for good mirrors; I believe I read on here that the overwhelming majority believe the OEM mirrors to be the best at withstanding the vibrations. I just bought a used pair from a member here as my original mirror 'repair' (it's in another post from a few weeks back) resulted in a loose weight in one of the mirrors. I'll keep the spare OEM's in case my flamey mirrors go bad like yours.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah those look pretty similar to what I got and are at the same price point.

Hopefully they work and don't strip out.

I think mine said they were made in Korea or Taiwan, all of these type of mirrors are probably just coming out from the same factory.

·
Premium Member
3,230 Posts
I got some off of a Kawasaki something as the aftermarket ones I had lasted 2 weeks. Yeah factory stuff will probably be better made.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts