RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the Billet Drive Cover a bolt on accessory? Does this replace the cover on the bike or just bolt on top? I am thinking of getting this but want to make sure I don't have to drain the oil or do anything hard to mount it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
IF YOU'RE REFERING TO THE COVER IN THE YAMMY CATALOG THE DEALER WHO I DEAL WITH (AND IS PRETTY DAM GOOD)TOLD ME IT REPLACES THE EXSISTING COVER.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what is under that cover. Do I need to replace gaskets or is there fluid behind it? Or is i just a cover. Seems kind of substational to just cover something.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have one of the billet drive covers but haven't put it on yet. I'm waiting for the V&H Big shot and plan to put the cover on when changing the pipes. But that said, I've talked to a dealer and also read the instructions that came with the cover and the best I can tell is that all you have to do is take off the old one, remove an O ring and put it on the new cover and bolt it up. Nothing to drain from what I can find out.

·
Registered
683 Posts
nothing is under that cover except a rubber bushing,no fluids to deal with,no gasket to replace.you might want to use some loc-tite on the bolts,other than that it is as simple as it looks

·
Registered
756 Posts
Hey geek...

i assume you're talking about the Billet Drive PULLEY Cover??

Actually they named it wrong...it's a Drive Pulley Cover INSERT.

You have to remove the cover...then on the backside of the cover there is a bolt in the center that holds the outer cap on and that cap holds the insert in place. There are two rubbar pieces under the stock insert.

There is nothing behind the cover assy except the drive pulley. No gasket...no oil.

BUT...there are two pins with nylon belt guides on them. They keep the belt from coming off the front of the pulley. One end of the pins go into the case...the other end of the pins are in the pulley cover. When removing the cover...after the bolts are out...you have to kinda play with the cover while getting the lip at the top of the cover to clear the 'side cover' and at the same time getting the pulley cover off those two pins.

When you install the cover you have to make SURE the pins go into the correct holes in the cover.

Hope i explained that a little bit more clear than mud![/emoticons/emotion-1.gif]

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, we are not all on the same page this is what I am talking about:
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/accessories/AcSCItemDetail.asp?lid=1&cid=2&mid=60&connavid=119&sconnavid=472&pid=868
billet drive cover
Fits all Road Stars'
Ball-Milled
STR-4WM27-83-02
It is on the right side of the bike to the rear.
Not on the drive side. it has a plastic plug in it also which makes me think it might have some fluid behind it.
Gotta get a hold of that tec manual.

·
Registered
756 Posts
geek...

looks to me like it's a replacement cover. You know what that means.

Hmmmmm...wonder why they don't call it what THEY named it...a Transfer Gear Case Cover!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Dude
its not a stick on part. its comes with 8 different parts, o-ring, seals, ect. i have one but have not put it on yet, bike is at the chop shop. need a month or two.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now that we are on the same page. I realise it is not stick on but is there fluid behind it? or does it just cover a dry area of the bike? What fluid is behind it? oil?

·
Registered
756 Posts
The transfer case 80-90 wt gear oil and a gasket.

A lot of Road Star guys...including myself...found out a long time ago...that when you're going to be getting into an area that uses gaskets...it would be wise to have one on hand at the time just in case you might damage it when removing it. Most of these type of parts are always on BACK-ORDER!!! You can re-use a lot of these gaskets multiple times unless you damage them taking them off...and if you do damage one and go and order one expecting it to arrive in a day or two...welllllll!!! Yammy just don't seem to give a rats-ass about keeping it's customers supplied with maintenance parts.

You may luck out once in a while...but more than likely they'll be on BACK-ORDER!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts