RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody! Newbie here. Just picked up my Indigo Warrior last Tuesday. What a blast! I'm new to motorcycling, and I spent half the summer on a V-Star 1100 (now my girlfriend's bike). What a difference!

Anyway, since I'm still a rookie rider, I don't think I need to get into the performance mods just yet. So I'm thinking about appearance stuff, specifically black chrome (hence the topic name). I think changing some or all of the chrome parts to black chrome would make the bike look even more bad-ass than it already looks. What I'm looking for from y'all is to give me some good reasons why this is a bad idea (extra credit points if you have actual first-hand experience with the stuff), like it costs a fortune, it's not as durable as "regular" chrome, it costs a fortune, Harley riders will call me names, it costs a fortune, etc.
Or you can encourage me so that I will be the guinea pig to lay out big bucks to do this, and report back on why it's a bad idea. Your call. [/emoticons/emotion-5.gif]
Thanks everybody!

Doug

P.S. Any Warrior owners from Minnesota here?

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
i guess i am new to this! what the HE11 is "black chrome"? i never heard of it! as far as the harley riders calling you names, all of the ones i have encounted are to busy wiping the drool off from their chins!

·
Registered
700 Posts
Can you find anyone who still does black chrome? I was toying around with the idea of painting some of the chromed plastic parts black, but was concened about the look.

Kinda liked the midnight Yamaha from the early eighties.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Welcome Douggo.

You'll probly have a hard time finding a chrome shop that still does Black Chrome work. EPA regs has almost put a stop to it.

Your best bet is probly Powder Coating. Not near as nice as Black Chrome...but still nice!

·
Registered
700 Posts
Douggo,

I had found a few shops online that still do the Black Chrome, but expect to pay 50% more, and none of the ones I talked too did small runs for individules. They all wanted a few parts to attempt to work out the setup issues. Also the Black Chrome coating is sometimes very thin at .0001 while regular chrome is typically is between .0005 to .001 or even thicker.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the quick replies! (****, this bunch is fast!)

Bill, the EPA? What kind of issues would there be for them to get involved in?
Also, powder coating would be an option, but would it stand up to the heat of exhaust pipes?
I noticed the fork is a different finish than the frame; it's shinier. Is the fork anodized aluminum? Or is it a finish that could be used on the chrome bits?

·
Registered
700 Posts
The EPA has had it's nose in all the Chrome Shops cuz of the heavy metal pollution issues.

They don't bother you the consumer, just the plating company.

Oh Yeah..... We are all a fast bunch in here when it comes to scooters, but as for our other softer rides we tend to be able to go as slow or as fast as the unit being rode wants us too.

There are a couple of riders in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area, as for me I'm down the freeway a bit over in Cheese Land.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Maybe you want to ceramic coat the exhaust. I have heard that you can get it in any color you want. A friend sent his car headers to California and had them coated blue to match his car. I don't see the guy too often, but I'll try to remember to look him up this week and ask him for the number.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Douggo...

can't answer your EPA question...this is just what i was told by a chroming shop. Something to do with the use of different chemicals for black chrome compared to regular chrome.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I picked this up in another thread somewhere it is a company called Jet-Hot Coatings http://www.jet-hot.com/. They do a black coating. I imagine a flat or semi gloss, still waiting for the info package. Thinking of having my exhaust blacked out. here is the email:
It would run $140 to coat your dual pipes inside & out with our black
finish. Add $40 if they are currently chrome plated. We'll need them here
for about 5 days plus shipping time. Return shipping would be $22.

I will send you our full information package to get you all the coating
benefits in greater detail. It will not turn colors like chrome or
stainless. Also it lowers under-hood temperatures by 40 degrees, keeps the
pipes 25% cooler and gets you 1-3% extra horsepower. Of course, it's highly
rust resistant as well - 140x better than paint. Because of that we expect
it to increase part life be 10x or more.

All parts receive a 3 year unlimited guarantee that covers chipping,
peeling, cracking, discoloration, rusting - anything. New parts also get a
lifetime rust through warranty as well.
Sounds like some good stuff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts